How big is Slog?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Argentenoboy, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Argentenoboy

Argentenoboy Only mostly dead

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WARNING: May contain false math. Don't hold me on this

A thought crossed my mind while thinking about Slog. Grimlock's huge. According to Bay, he's "150 feet long from tail to nostrils, 63.5 feet tall from the ground to the top of his horns, and weigh 850 tons". That's pretty big, but that's just for a T. rex. How big would a Sauropod Dinosaur like Slog would be? For this thought experiment, I used the size of a Brachiosaurus (Pose seems right for a Brachiosaurus, and until someone gets Slog in hand, I'm guessing his front legs are bigger than his hind legs) I took the size of a Tyrannosaurus rex, about 13 feet tall, and divided Grimlock's size by that. What I got is a scale of about 5/1 ratio (Grimlock over Trannosaurus, rounded to the nearest whole number). Then, I used the same ratio and multiplied it by the height of a Brachiosaurus by the hip (23 feet). What I got is approximately 112.3 feet high (34.22904 meters). I'm going to be using alternate sources, but for some big characters, I'll use this size chart. To put that into perspective, Slog would be taller than Cristo Redentor in Brazil and the Colossus of Rhodes. However, then comes the twist. According to Bay, Grimlock's 63.5 feet from the ground to the top of his horns. So, keeping our 5/1 ratio in mind, we now go off of the height of 50 feet of a Brachiosaurus from the top of his head (feel small now?), and we come to the estimate that Slog's a total of 244.3 feet (74.43 meters). In perspective, he's taller than both the Statue of Liberty (By the base of the statue) and The Motherland Calls. He's bigger than Otachi from Pacific Rim, and just a tad smaller than Gypsy Danger. He'd be bigger than Clover, all Metal Gears and Gundams (Going off the chart though, don't have much experience with either), and Voltron. EVA Unit 01 can't even look him in the eye. He might even be bigger than Movieverse Devastator (Can't find any sizes for him), which would make him probably the largest non-city sized transformer EVER.

I think there's a compensation joke here somewhere.

2. Deathpool

Deathpool EREDEAN WINCHAEGER

News Credits:
    Grimlock is 150 feet long? I must have a terribly bad sense of size

3. NebulusPrime

NebulusPrime The Fourteenth

This is great, this is actually pretty accurate.

4. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    His dimensions have to be different now since his size was reduced in the trailers.

5. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Slog isn't a Brachiosaurus. He's most probably an Apatosaurus, or if you want to get suuuuper technical, maybe a Camarosaurus. He's got a bit of Titanosaur to him, but while he's on the line Brachiosauridae spun off of, he's not a brachiosaurid. Using your ratio for a ball park meausrement, this puts him at 75 at the shoulder. Still massive, but not quite liberty size.

6. sasquatch

sasquatch Well-Known Member

I love when people do this, thank you made for some very amusing thoughts!

7. Argentenoboy

Argentenoboy Only mostly dead

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I assumed that he was a Brachiosaurus mostly due to the natural posing he is put in, with the neck facing upwards. I need to know the size difference between the front and back legs to really get it, since Apatosaurus had larger hind legs than front legs, and the other way around with Brachiosaurids

Although going off a Titanosaur would make him absurdly big

8. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Sweet merciful crap.

9. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

Using the 5/1 ratio, approximately 650 feet long when neck is fully extended forward and 325 feet tall, I'm assuming with neck up. Either way...

10. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    now hold on! baised on proportions, and body and head shape, id say sludge (yes, I've renamed him, slogs an ugly name.) is moddled after a brachiosaurus.

11. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

He's not in the film, right? Why should we care how big he is?

12. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Elongated forelimbs to some extent occurs multiple times in titanosauriformes, the neck/body ratio is too low and the head is COMPLETELY different. It's slightly elevated sagittally, but that's very very common. It's especially obvious in the art. Heads just all wrong.

13. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    According to the toy, Slog is an Apatosaurus

14. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I grew up with this dinosaur being called a Brontosaurus. Many, many moons ago. So to me, he's just an insanely large Brontosaur. I know nowadays, there are species and sub-species. We have Brachiosaurs, Apatosaurs and others I've never heard of. I'm only 5 feet tall, so most everything is ginormous to me :lol 

15. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Unfortunately, scientists have agreed that the Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus are the same genus of animal. Back when they were first discovered, they were working with incomplete fossils and they thought then that they were different. Since the name Apatosaurus was coined first, it became the primary name. Brontosaurus is now relegated as a synonym (like Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Sean Combs/Puffy)

16. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

:lol  This! Well, about the Brontosaurs, 'cause I'm taller than 5'. Yeah what he said about the Brontosaurs! :wink: 

17. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    So... Are you agreeing with me or not?

18. Ømnidrive

Ømnidrive Stop.....think......fart.....and keep on going

Well "Slog" Sludge was always the biggest of the Dinobots so I just go with that

19. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

It's hard to have a sense of size when there's small cars turning into big robots riding bigger robots turning into bigger dinosaurs.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

He was twice the size of most of the other Autobots iirc