How bad do tattoos hurt?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starscreamer17, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Starscreamer17

Starscreamer17 Starscream Lover

I want to get a tattoo of a Decepticon Symbol or a Autobot symbol on my right arm, but im terribly afraid of needles and on several occasions when I was a kid I kicked the needle out of my doctors hand(it just fell to the ground), and Im just so afraid of getting a tattoo but I want one... :cry 

2. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well honestly, the one I had on my shoulder didn't hurt that badly.. like a burn more then a stabbing pain. It really depends on where you get it done and how much padding you might have in the area.

What part of your arm do you want it done on? Shoulder, Forearm, Bi/triceps?

3. Starscreamer17

Forearm. Would that hurt terribly bad?

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Not trying to talk you out of getting a tattoo but....

What do you do for a living?

The forearm is a very "exposed" place.... where it could be seen by co-workers or in an interview.

I personally have no problems with tattoos, but I wouldn't get them where people could see them because of what I do (I'm a teacher). I doubt I could be fired over it, but it could attract negative attention I wouldn't want.

5. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I'm not going to lie to you - they don't tickle. Depending on where you get them, they go from mild discomfort to a rather intense pain. Honestly, though, once you are through the first few minutes (or 10) it doesn't bother you so bad - and it's a small price to pay.

To be fair, I've got tattoos on my forearms and I'm a teacher - people are cool with it, and the kids love it. If they aren't - frak 'em.

The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people with tattoos don't care if you have tattoos.

6. Starscreamer17

Actually I ment to say my bicep, I just looked at the wrong word on accident.

Is there anything I can like buy over the counter to get me out there so it wouldn't hurt as much? I don't drink beer or anything so...

7. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    They dont hurt that bad I have my upper arm from shoulder to elbow that took about 6 hours and it wasnt that bad.

8. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Upper arm and shoulder really doesn't hurt very bad. It will burn/sting for a while, but will just start to feel numb from the vibrating of the gun.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Its a neddle being slowly dragged through your skin... it hurts. Tattoo artists don't recomend you taking anything. Alcohol is a bad idea.

10. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

My wrist tat didn't hurt, and it was on thin skin near the bone.
    Itches like mad afterwards though. The urge to pick at the scab is very hard to resist (but I reccomend that you try!)

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think if youre afraid of needles and pain, youre too sissy to have a tat in the 1st place.

12. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Yeah that part aint that bad it was the under part(were the arm touches your side) of that tat that was real sensitive.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The alchohol will thin your blood out too much and the tattooing would be messy and hard to do.

They can hurt, just depends where you get it, Like over bone or sensitive flesh areas like your inner thigh or inner arm.
    You'll get used too it after awhile, just think about other stuff when you're getting it.

14. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

i have one on chest...OUCH! the one on my upper arm, was not so bad, but it hurt like a motherf__ker in some spots, but that just part of getting a tattoo. suck it up

15. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Yeah - as echoed here - do not drink. And you'll really not need any painkillers beforehand.

The one tat that hurt the most was my Arashikage tattoo on my right under forearm. I got it done the traditional way (the Japanese hand tapping style called "Tebori") - hand tapped into my arm with a bamboo needle. The others were all done in the traditional manner, the discomfort of which was avoided by me chewing gum.

16. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I have one on my upper back. it hurt. but it eventually.. i want to say dulled out. but thats not right, cause it still hurt the entire time. it just didnt hurt as much as time went on.

17. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Bad sunburn for a few days. Seriously, thats exactly what it feels like.

18. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty much what everyone else has said....dont drink before you get it, it only hurts the first bit, then it kinda dulls itself out and it does feel like a bad sunburn afterwards....oh yeah and dont pick the scab off.

I've got them on my forearms, biceps, wrists, and a big one on my back that took 4 hours to do....the only one that hurt was the one I have on the inside of the bicep...like Prowl Delta 31 mentioned.......for some reason, that part is really tender

19. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should be find with where you plan on getting it done... not a problem.

But yeah, no drinking or any other substances. Now a days the places I've gone will not even service you if you are under any influence.

20. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I'll echo most of the other people here and say that it doesn't really hurt that bad, especially on the outside of the bicep. When it's being done it kind of feels like someone is dragging a sharp pin across your skin, not deep enough to cut, but like when you tear up just the outer layer of skin without bleeding. Afterwards, bad sunburn feeling, as has been said.

The only tattoo that I have that actually hurt really bad was the inside of my wrist going up almost to the palm of my hand. That one little area has a lot of nerves and hurts like hell. Even my tattoo artist said it was the most painful place he's ever got a tattoo, and he's covered in them.