How bad are stress marks?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was always curious about this. We never like it when our toys develop stress marks, as it is a signal of potential breakage. Nevertheless, just how serious are stress marks? Just how long will it take for them to actually snap?

I was hoping some of you experts could enlighten me and anyone else questioning.

2. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends where they are.
    If it's on an area of thin plastic that is used for an articulation or transformation joint it's more likely to stress further due to it being used all the time.
    On thicker plastic it's surprising how much stress it can actually take.
    I've not actually had any figures break on me though, as if i do see any stress marks I become much more cautious handling that area of the figure.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think it depends on how bad the stress marks are and on what part they occur. For example, if stress marks are on a hinge or fragile joint, damage is very likely to occur. Also, the thickness of the plastic piece is a determining factor. That being said, you're right in that they are a sign of potential/eventual breakage.

There are other times that they don't worry me so much. Unseen areas that aren't near joints and such don't concern me much. Stress marks on pieces that are large enough to withstand a lot of force don't either.

I tend not to get stress out about this much, but concern myself when the pressure's tight.

4. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

it depends where it is.

stress marks on key transformation areas. if its on a tiny area i'd buy another copy of it and replace it. probably never transform the new one ever. play with the one that has a stress mark on it. if it breaks, instant kitbash fodder.

i bought another perceptor cause i already broke that tiny black tab on my first. this happened during the first or second transformation. when i saw jarrod's soundwave, i immediately went shopping his soundwave ingredients, perceptor was in it so i have a kitbash fodder now.

5. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like everyone stated, it depends on what part of the toy has the stress marks. Some toys I've had, had stress marks on "stronger" areas where there aren't any joints or movement. I notice on a Generations TC I have, one is located on the right ankle, and one is on the right elbow primarily because when the pins were inserted, they were inserted at the wrong angle and were more or less "forced" in. I've transformed it several times and the stress marks don't seem to be getting any worse. Though, not taking any chances, I'm leaving him in alt mode for now.

6. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

My problem is on Classic HotRod in his shoulder.I had to put up my single card release just to not damage it more.

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Animated Arcee has stress marks on her hands. That worries me cause her hans are really thin. She'll never wield her swords again and Dragstrip will never.

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Arcee's fist are scary. I guess you can modify the swords with a file so they go in with out stressing the plastic but i find it is easier just not to mess with her swords because she was hard enough to find. But like RTS Wreckgar has stress marks from holding his weapon and i have no worries because of how thick the palstic in his hands is.

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I mod arcee so there won't be stress marks too. But I don't care about them on my cyberverse stuff. They are cheap figs anyways.

10. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I think it depends on the type of plastic involved, too. Some plastics can be quite brittle, while others have a bit more give (yet still show stress marks).

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Stressmarks around pin joints I really hate. Even worse when there's stress and already a crack has formed right out the packaging.
    I had to return a Cyberverse Megatron because it had really bad stresses right at that thick hinged flap that makes the front panel of his leg. Actually, I'm not entirely sure it was stressed because it was really white and a little crumbly on the surface, like a little bit of the plastic had somehow avoided being mixed and melted. Wish I'd taken a photo of it now before I took it back for exchange. Either way it was bound to break very quickly.

Stressmarks in open hands I dislike too, but for the most part reading about those faults online before opening mine has helped me keep damage to a minimum.

The little flip down toe on one of the Grimstone drones was stressed on mine as well, but I just glued a little piece of plasic behind it and now it's fine.

Generally I won't return figures because of a little bit of stress, especially if it's just on a thick part. I might when it's around a small pin joint and breaking looks inevitable or is already in the process of happening, but if I took back every figure with traces of stress I'd have probably returned around half of every figure I've bought over the last four years. Just have to look and assess them on a case-by-case basis.

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I have a stress mark on one of my Classics Tracks foot. Dunno if I should worry.

13. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Gingerchris, is this stress mark identifiable in package? Cyberverse Megatron is something I really hope to pick up. Thanks in advance!

Also guys, how is DOTM Shockwave doing in the stress mark department? I heard his pegs or something can cause stress marks.

14. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shockwave is the 2nd worst stressmark figure I ever encountered, after MP3.

I bought 3 shockwaves, 2 for me and 1 for my friend and sad to say, 3 of them have stressmark on different parts of the body.
    1. one has sm on the gun
    2. one has sm on the leg shin
    3. one has serious sm on the chest hole that use to connect the sketon chest plate..

Hasbro, you really need to treat your china factory worker better or have a tight QC control.

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I had to remove the cable from DOTM Shockwave. A small part of the port on the back got chip off about a week ago.

16. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    Well, I have massive stress marks on my DotM Jolt's "neck", because of the poor instructions during transformation, which led me to press on the wrong area to try and flip his head up.

But I'm not worried because it's not an area normally used in transformation and I know better now.

17. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

What is it with bad instructions.Skyhammer says to remove his blade and on the toy,they don't come off.I wonder how many people have broke it trying to remove them.

18. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    Yeah, HA Roadbuster's instructions were pretty awful, as well.

It's weird, seeing as they have actual pictures now.

19. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Yikes! It's amazing how extensive stress marks can get nowadays.

I've got a question, it's been advised to use a hair dryer to make the stress marks disappear. This is purely cosmetic and doesn't improve the strength of the stress mark area, does it?

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    As far as I'm aware the stress is still there, just not visible on the surface.
    You should be able to see it through the packaging window if it's on the outer side of the hinge but not if it's on the inner. There can also be a stressmark on the part next to it where the pin holding that part pegs into.
    What you won't be able to see in package is the claw which is holding one of the tanker guns. I had a couple of this figure where that pincer was badly stressed, presumably where whoever was putting the figure together didn't peg the gun through the hole in the hand but just rammed it up the open pincer.

I've been particularly unlucky with this figure. :p