How articulated are dc direct figures?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MasterDeath, Jun 23, 2007.

1. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

I am looking for a decent batman figure.... looking at the dc direct ones, they do not seem very articulated. I would like articulation to the extent that the marvel legends figs are... for example shaulder joints to move up and down and outwords aswell as elbows... and the ability to move the legs back forwards and outwords... I think you get what I mean.

I know there are micromen ones, but I want decent sized figures aswel las them haveing all the joints. Are the DC direct up to par, or will I have to keep waiting until someone decent makes DC figs?

Thanks... not sure if this is even the correct section.

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

*cough*toyark*cough*

DC Direct have basic articulation at best. Some lack even that. Don't expect to find any DC Direct figures that have really good articulation though, those don't exist. In fact, other than the microman DC figs, there are no really well articulated DC figures out there sadly.

3. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

Aww thats a shame... I want a good batman fig :( 

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I have alot of DC Direct Figures and I think they have a decent amount of articulation 19 to I think 21 points of Articulation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

wow that is alotta superman... could you show me all tha articulations on a fig for example? thankie..

6. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

DC Directs are sexy figures, and are all comic and artist specific. Unfortunately, they're really expensive and there's no running scale, even among figures from the same series.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If you want a REALLY articulate Batman you can hunt down the Microman Batman figure they did. Smaller than most but a ton of joints.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a big-name character like Batman, try the DC Superheroes line. The figures are similar in articulation to Marvel Legends but with better paint and plastic quality. The character range is pretty much limited to Batman (and variants thereof), Superman (and variants thereof) and impossible-to-find supporting cast and villain figures, though. There hasn't been a 'normal' Batman released for awhile in the line, as they're currently on a 'Knight Shadow' version, but I can't imagine one being that hard to track down.

As far as DC Direct, the level of articulation varies with the figure. None of the figures get near DC Superheroes in terms of poseability but most have a basic level of articulation; the one major exception I can think of is the recent Superboy-Prime figure, which is basically immobile.

9. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

It varies from figure to figure but like Sups has Ankle 2, Knee 2, Mid Thigh 2, Hip 2, Waist 1, Shoulder 2, Upper Arm 2, Elbow 2, Wrist 4, Head 1. Thats 20 points. I couls swear it said 21 on the package but I could have missed one.

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some have that many, like the Superman you mentioned, but that's really the exception rather than the rule.

In my experience, your average DCDirect figure will have 9-14 points -- neck, shoulders, elbows, +/- wrists, +/- waist, hips, knees, and +/- ankles. (Subtract several more points if it's an Alex Ross Kingdom Come or Justice figure.)

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, I agree with you. A most DC Direct figure would have all of the above mentioned articulation, which is the bare minimum to me - at least they're not statutes like Spawn "toys".

I kind of like the look of the upcoming DC Batman from the "Son of the Bat" (can't remember the name of the story arc - as I've stopped reading DC stuff for quite awhile)...it seems to have the best sculpt ever and the basic articulation for me.

12. DevilzFan

Not even close. There's not a single figure in the 'DC Superheroes" who comes close to the articulation of most Marvel Legends.

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree but sometimes, I find that there's so much articulation on a ML figure until its an overkill and the "look" of the figure is er, "spolit" i,e, look to multi-jointed! :D 

14. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I don't own him but he's pretty decent as I've seen one up close but like Devilzfan says...it can't compete with MLs. I think some folks here have him. I would have bought him but I found the skin tone a tad too pale for me...

16. DevilzFan

Isn't that the Batman that comes with like 15 different batarangs, yet doesn't have a way to hold any of them?

Right off the top of my head, that's missing wrist, hand, neck ball, upper arm, and ankle articulation. And no, the ankle moving up and down doesn't count as ankle articulation.

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Sorry but what do you mean ankle moving up and down isn't counted as an articulation point? Is that the stand of most collectors? Just curious.

18. DevilzFan

I don't know about most, but besides up and down, it should move right and left for better positioning/balancing on poses.

19. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

The Alex Ross Justice line is fergilicious, but damn are they expensive. I still think the Justice Black Adam is one of the best sculpts.

20. Pooky

Pooky Well-Known Member

Man, I want a Red Son Superman fig now. Why does the one on the right look like the left's evil twin? What's the lowdown?

That Infinite Crisis Mongul fig is way too huge.

I own that JLA Wonder Woman fig and I love it. Personally, I think it's the best WW fig to date. Very nice details on the face and good overall paint apps.

Ditto with that DCSH Steel fig.

Do we have a DC Direct thread going? If not, we need one.