How are vintage prices determined on TF's?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Black Omega, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

So I am interested in input from the fandom on how prices for vintage TF's are determined. I have thought for many years now that Ebay was a good general guide post on what the prices for vintage toys should be taking into consideration their rarity, completeness and condition (loose, MIB, MISB, MOC, MOSC).

Recently I have discovered that I am way way off on what various vintage figures are worth. Any thoughts on what other factors can play a role or any other standards that are considered? I am interested in othe people's thoughts so that in the future I don't mistakenly make someone a ridiculously lowball offer on something.

2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Ebay completed listings is the way I go about it. From there, it will fluctuate based on who is out there bidding on it. The other main factors that make a difference are the condition and completeness for Loose and MIB samples. It goes without saying that a minty TF with pristine stickers, paint and chrome, with tight joints will go for more than a beaten down junker...

3. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

why is ebay such a factor?

aren't those bloated prices?

but i guess that's what sellers here or anywhere want peeps to do. buy them at bloated prices.

4. Black Omega

Just to give an example of why I ask the question.

G1 Skullcruncher recently goes for an average on ebay from $75 to $125 according to completed listings for complete figures. That clearly depends on it being complete and loose vs. MIB or MISB. And even that range will flucuate depending on product even being out there getting sold. But I've seen prices on sales threads for G1 Skullcruncher MIB for as high as $250. I am trying to understand the disparity for the pricing.

Anyone selling good condition G1 product wants to get as much for it as they can. I understand that. But sometimes there are some seriously high prices being asked for. And that makes me suprised that some people are able to sell said figures.

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Completed auctions show what people are willing to pay. An average is a very good indicator.

People value their figures in different ways. You either just move on and look for another person selling the figure or try to negotiate a lower price.

6. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

you can only judge by completed listings.

these things are only what you can get someone to agree to pay for it. nothing else matters.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ebay completed auctions. The end.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

A bunch of numbers put on a dart board, and then the guys who determine the prices throw darts. Where the darts land are the prices.

9. Black Omega

So far you guys are thinking the same thing I am by looking at an average of completed ebay listings for a figure in similar condition. So if an average for a completed listing on a figure is say $105 then where are people coming up with say a $300 price for the figure?

Seriously, am I missing something? Again, I really want to understand this so that I dont inadvertantly lowball someone when I make an offer on something.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Some collectors I think are willing to spend more just to get a figure they want, especially if it's rare enough, even if it's above "average prices". It's probably easier for them to pay more, then wait and look for similar items to pop up again, at which point, it might even be more expensive by then. Some listers take advantage of that type of collector by putting up prices that are crazy high.

11. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just because someone asks 300 for a figure doesn't mean that anyone is willing to pay 300. Using completed ebay auctions works because it shows a collection of prices that people are willing to pay for a given figure.

12. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im not a G1 guy but if were talking sales threads ive noticed alot of inflated prices(which generally dont sell) but i think the idea is too ask high and wait for the highest counter offer in PM's as a substitute for a bidding system..... i mean the forum is free so its not like you have to pay all the fees you would on ebay and theres very little effort required in opening a thread here and bumping it every day.