How are Transformer made?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hup2thepenguin, Jul 12, 2014.

1. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

I was just thinking, each Transformer has many small moving parts, and requires a lot of assembly, plus, making everything fit together for packaging. Are these all done by machine? Do real people check the toys to make sure they transform properly? It seems like such a tedious process.

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I'm sure they are assembled by robots and qc checked by people. But I don't think they transform them. They just look if everything looks good and can work.

3. Timesynch

Timesynch I still function! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I want to say Hasbro execs (at their headquarters in Rhode Island?) draws up the budget and plans for the character the figure is based on, and either Hasbro or Takara Tomy then get tasked with the actual design (in CAD or other 3D software). When the design is finalized, it's sent to the factory in China (or Vietnam as the case may be) where prototypes are made, the design tweaked and approved, and then final production goes into full swing for manufacturing, packaging, and then shipping to retailers (who get solicited by either Hasbro or TT for preordering way beforehand for guaranteed sales so the factory knows how many figures to make per run/order). If licenses are involved (like with say car manufacturers), that's taken care of and secured prior to the actual manufacturing process. That's the basic run down, I believe.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  5. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    First, a lady Transformer and man Transformer meet in an Energon bar. The lady Transformer gets free energon shots all night for flashing her under-carriage, and looks for a man Transformer to engage in 'beast mode' with. One she finds one, he takes her to his quarters and transforms all cycle long until the energon shots wear off. In the morning, she does the 'drive of shame' back to her place where, a few cycles later, she finds that a new Transformer is forming in the protoform chamber. She com-links the man Transformer, who she finds out was shipped off-world (or so his squadmates say).
    Yep, that's where they come from.

6. AoE

AoE MERGE YO POSTS PEOPLE

News Credits:
    This is probably extremely inaccurate, but I think that it's something like:
    1. Hasbro picks and chooses who gets made
    2. Designs are drawn out and sent to Takara
    3. Takara engineers them and makes sure that everything can work as a physical model
    4. Hasbro then reproduces those models in a CAD program
    5. The first hardcopies come from the factory
    6. Paints and whatnot are applied/decided at this stage
    7. The factory gets the mold and basically prints them out in sprue format
    8. Factory workers work in near-slave labour conditions to build and paint the figures

7. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Stages 1-4 aren't quite as cut-and-dry as this oversimplification makes it out to be, there's plenty of back-and-forth between Hasbro and Takara at every stage.

8. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

I think that the parts are pressed on a sprue and machine painted, but I think that they are assembled by hand for the most part. The pins might be machine applied, but I'm pretty sure the parts with screws are assembled by hand. I think the toys are assembled into the form they will be packaged in, and i think they are packaged by hand too, like, someone inserts the paper ties and ties them

9. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The toys being assembled by hand explains the various instances of misassembly.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Example, Hasbro has it's own engineer and design team that works along with Takara.

11. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Basically, Hasbro is MAINLY responsible for the aesthetics and gimmicks, whereas Takara is MAINLY responsible for the engineering, BUT the designers of both companies communicate with each other via e-mail on a regular basis (e-mail because of the time zone difference between Japan and Rhode Island), and frequently make suggestions so it's ultimately a very collaborative process.

I think the best comparison would be a comic book writer and an artist. Both are storytellers, each have their main field of expertise, but that doesn't mean they don't talk to each other. For example, the artist might make suggestions for improving the flow of the plot, while the writer might make suggestions for how to improve the visual aspects of storytelling.

The writer (usually) doesn't just add words to the artist's pages, and the artist (usually) doesn't just turn the writer's script into pictures. Both have their part in telling the finished story.

Likewise, Hasbro doesn't just present Takara with some vague ideas and says "turn this into a working toy", and Takara doesn't just add some joints to Hasbro's otherwise fully-fledged designs and calls it a day either.

12. Rockmoreno

Rockmoreno Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When a mommy robot loves a daddy robot very, very much...ah, ask your parents.

13. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    A Wizard does it.

14. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    There was actually a post here several months back that provided a step-by-step look at the tooling and manufacturing process (I think it came up in a discussion of the missing G1 molds). Damnfino how to find it with this search system, though.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm assuming there must be someone that transforms figures when they're packaged in alt mode. Otherwise that would mean they're assembled directly into alt mode, which I'd assume would be kinda difficult if there are a lot of fiddly parts inside an alt.

16. alanyap

alanyap Will work for LEGO

I guess that's the reason why the complexity level and parts count on each toy class are capped in order not confuse those workers in the assembly line.