How are the prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Covain, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Covain

Covain Original G1 Fan

Ok. SO I have been swaying back and forth about going this year. Cost...Time off work...etc but one thing I was wondering and didn't find anything thing about it in other threads are the prices of the items when you compare them to eBay prices. I have heard in the past that some things can be expensive but what is the general consensus? Do you pay $20 for a Seaspray or the normal few bucks as a an example. In addition to the experience and fun of my first Botcon I am hoping to finish off a few bots (accessories) and fill in some of my blanks for my G1 collection. Will I be shocked when I ask how much these things are?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I was always told that Botcon prices are higher, but when I actually went to one I found that wasn't really the case. Most of the dealers have pretty fair prices. Of course there are exceptions, but it's not too bad. Besides, the prices can vary wildly from dealer to dealer, so you can always look elsewhere in the room for a better deal. For example, last year I recall a particular item that one dealer was selling for $75 MISB. Another dealer had the exact same item MISB for $15.

Also, you can usually haggle down prices since you're there in person. Plus, most dealers discount stuff the last day to avoid having to box up as much to take home, so you can save some money then too.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From the Botcons/OTFCCs I've been too, prices can be all over the map, and how much you pay depends on factors such as:

Is the item(s) you're looking for new or old, rare or common, in package or loose?
    What's the quality or completeness? You can save money if something doesn't have all its accessories, has worn paint, or similar. I've been known to buy multiple junkers and build a quality item out of the parts.

You won't find cheap Liokaiser or combining dino cassettes, but relatively common G1 and other stuff can be had pretty easy without breaking the bank.

4. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

That's the best way to describe it. There is going to be a LOT of price swings between dealers. Some dealers make their money on just selling a few items at a high markup - Other dealers are looking to sell a lot of volume. On average, though, prices usually aren't that different than what you'd see on Ebay, but without the shipping.

There's so many dealers that you don't have to worry so much about everyone trying to soak you just because it's Botcon. Dealers want to make sales. They can't afford to overprice their items because there's 30-40 other dealers competing for their customers.

At the same time, there are 1000+ other fans looking for the same good deals you are - So my advice is to know what you are looking for and know what a fair price is. Know a good deal when you see it, because it you decide to wait and look around for an even better price, chances are it will be gone when you return!

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Says you. I paid $449 usd for gurafi and noise both complete and an auction ended last week for close to $800 so I think thats pretty cheap

6. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about credit cards? Will some dealers take credit or can you buy the other exclusive figures with credit card?

7. rework

Don't count on credit cards. The established "stores" like BBTS and Bill's (and the Master Collector table) can take CCs, but most of the dealers at the show are not professional dealers - Well maybe not "most" anymore - But many dealers (like me) are just collectors who buy a lot and sell off extras each year at Botcon. We don't have CC machines. And, IMHO, we generally have better prices than the big guys, so you want to be able to buy from us!

Cash is king... And most dealers will take Traveller's cheques... Checks are usually a no-no. And all ATMs within walking distance are usually empty in the first few hours, so you can't count on that!

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, there's cheap and there's cheap. :) 

I originally intended to say "You won't find em cheap, because if cheap ones are there, the person who got in the room ahead of you probably already bought 'em. (or the inter-dealer buying and trading before the room opens takes em away)" :) 

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i have a VERY short list, and yes, the Liokaiser team is on it. if i get only one or two, i'll consider myslef satisfied. as for the rest, it's mostly just bits and parts, a few micromasters and maybe a Kissplay rodimus. if i find some microchange or microman bots, that will be a good haul as well

10. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I never went to botcon but the person I bought them from had them there and they didnt sell. I found that hard to believe. Yay fo rme thou :D 

11. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    prices are definately not a problem most of the time at the con. I buy a lot for my personal collection, and have gotten some great deals, seen lots of perfectly average prices, and a rare few overly high rates on a few things.

Selling, my prices are the ones on the site, sometimes a bit lower. Of course, you will need to factor in taxes with most dealers, especially the way they're doing them this year, but you won't pay shipping either.

12. Covain

Covain Original G1 Fan

Thanks everyone. Now all I have to do is figure out if I can actually afford to go.

13. rework

Evil dealer scum!!!!

14. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mwahahaha. Yep, that's what the shirt says. I knew people would like that.

Hey...maybe I could base a banner on the graphics I used for that... ;)