How am I doing on my search for a complete collection of challenging figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by pactron, Jan 9, 2011.

1. pactron

pactron Well-Known Member

Thanks to people on here, I've managed to make a little progress.

The ones i've already bought:
    ramjet, voyager
    ironhide, recon voyager
    deluxe galvatron
    ROTF Leader Class - Optimus Prime
    mixmaster, voyager
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The ones I'm convinced would be worth the purchase:

Alternators Grimlock/wheeljack (i like the looks of wheeljack better, so I'll get him if I can find it for a better price but someone mentioned i should get masterpiece grimlock so i need to figure out weather the MP would be the one to get)

Alt Energon Slugslinger

FP Warbot Defender (if i can find a reasonable price on one)
    Starwars death star vader
    --------------------------------------------

Ones I might buy if i figure out for sure they would be worth it:

Rampage ROTF Is deluxe class all that is available and would it be challenging eventhough it's a deluxe?

jetfire (not sure weather to get a leader or a different version or if either would be worth it)

first Movie Leader Megatron (some say very challenging and some say very easy)

sideburn

Masterpiece starscream (not sure how much more challenging this would be compared to the ramjet voyager i have)

not sure if these would be worth it or what versions to get:
    Teradive
    Sidearm Sideswipe
    Breacher
    Knockout

Alternators are expensive and small (right?) so i'm not sure if these would be worth the cost:
    Smokescrean
    Silverstreak
    Rodimus
    Optimus Prime
    Jazz
    Shockblast
    Deadend
    Sunstreaker

i'm guessing that HA are the least challenging line (not counting deluxe and the other smaller lines), so I don't know if these would be worth it:
    Movie, Revenge of the Fallen, Human Alliance
    Bumblebee
    Jazz
    Baricaide
    Skids
    Mudflap
    Sideswipe

Robots in Disguise
    Optimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus

Armada
    Unicron

Cybertron
    Primus
    Soundwave
    Evac

Generations
    Cybertron Optimus Prime (from War for Cybertron video game)

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alternators are about voyager sized.

MP Grimlock isn't hard since he's just really a big G1 figure with articulation.

3. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Masterpiece Megatron.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    80 is a reasonable price for defender, just go try to get a shadow commander....
    masterpiece megatron should be on the list
    a lot of the alternators are satisfying transformations, complicated and fun they are between voyager and ultra sized

the ramjet voyager you have is the movie starscream mold right? i would put that under easy, especially compared to mp starscream,
    any of the mps except grimlock have a decently satisfying transformation, a lot of the ones you have under hard, are more frustrating just getting things lined up than difficult.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Terradive is rather challenging at first (or should I say, tricky).

6. pactron

ouch, i think i might have screwed up when i got the galvatron. since then it seems like the only thing hard about transforming it is getting the pieces to not pop off.

7. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a pretty good start.

If you'd like to expand into Beast Wars a little take a look at Magnaboss and Tripredacus.

You might want to try getting a hold of Megatron from Robots in disguise, its got 6 modes! And you can always make up your own :D  ALso the car brothers from that line are as difficult to transform as any modern day deluxe, if not more so.

As far as MP seekers go, according to some they may not be too difficult, but they are involved for sure, no matter what it'll take a few minutes, every time. HA figures can be very challenging, My favorite HA is Jazz, and I think it has the best transformation as well.

Again great list of challenging transformations, I'll see if I can think of any more... oh wait Big Convoy!!!! From beast wars neo. look it up, you wont be sorry.

8. pactron

So who wants to (or is able) make a complete list of the most challenging (not because of malfunction) transformers to transform?

9. 123►Genei-Jin

123►Genei-Jin Member

I don't own everything on that list, but form what I own:

FP Warbot Deffender: More tricky than difficult, actually some modes are harder depending on what mode you currently have him transformed (since he's a triple changer).

Leaderclass JetFire: the only tricky part is getting his legs back into place in alt/jet mode.

HA
    Bumblebee, Barricade and Jazz aren't that difficult overall.
    Skids and Mudflap: from alt to robot mode: easy. from robot to alt mode: some of their front fenders and hood parts are a bit tricky.
    Sideswipe: not too hard to transform but kinda hard to get all panels/parts aligned so that it rolls properly.

Alternators Prime: Easy.

RID Magnus: kinda easy.

RID Sideburn: Decent challenge.

Armada Unicron: Easy.

WFC Prime: Long/involved transformation, but not that hard really. Easier to go from alt to robot than the other way around.

As others have mentioned, MP Megatron is a decent challenge, but sadly an expensive figure.

10. pactron

hey, this helped a lot. thanks! after reading your post, i think i might look for defender, wfc prime,RID Sideburn and maybe skids if i can find it cheap.

11. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I'll chime in with my input on those from your list I actually own.

ROTF Rampage seems challenging at first, but it's more just that everything sorta explodes out then folds in.
    Leader Jetfire really isn't Challenging as his whole robot mode is on the bottom of the jet, it's just the jet is broken into a lot of parts and every panel has to line up just right.
    Masterpiece Starscream is slightly more involved than the voyager ramjet, but is a great toy to have. Almost everything is hidden in jet mode. It has a bunch of features in jet mode. Landing gear, movable flaps, airbrake, opening nosecone, cockpit, and engine covers. I think he's worth it. I got the cheaper walmart skywarp version when they were on clearance.
    RID Sideburn has nice complexity. Especially for his time.

Terradive and Sidearm Sideswipe both seem like they are challenging, but everything is smooth and intuitive on those two.

Alternators usually have a nice balance of complexity in transformation. I only have a few. I found smokescreen to be a challenged at first. Lots of twists and turns in the legs. Jazz/shockblast mold is slightly smoother to transform. As it didn't have the added rear doors to deal with.

Ha alliance have decent complexity, but not really challenging. Jazz it worth it from an engineering standpoint because it amazing how big of robot you get out of that smaller car. Barricade is rather simple for a human alliance and in many ways follows the duluxe version. The twins and BB are the middle ground, with BB being slightly more complicated.

RID PRime and Magnus are decently complicated, Prime more than Magnus. But the challenge of getting everything together for the combined mode is a fun process to learn. I'd say worth it.

Armada Unicron really isn't hard at all. In many ways he's just a giant deluxe. You fold in his feet and legs, rotate some bits around, fold in his hands and arms, fold his head down, and the planet bits cover the whole thing shelformer style.

Cybertron Primus is not a challenge at all. It relies on the omega lock to transform. You plug the omega lock into various ports on him, and either slide it or turn it and it pretty much does everything for you.

Cybertron evac isn't really challenging despite the looks, just some clever twists and turns get the job done pretty fast.

WFC Prime has nice complexity for a deluxe. Well worth it, especially since he's rather cheap right now. Get him while he's readily available.

lol that is the challenge with that one. Get it to transform without parts coming off. I've got it down to where I can tf it with nothing coming off most of the time.

12. pactron

a question though. u mentioned RID sideburn. what version offers the best challenge? i only saw the deluxe model on ebay.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would recommend straying away from the Vader Death Star. It'll probably save you both money and grief. He's "challenging" not because he's a well thought-out design, but because he's a Unicron poser with panels that won't ever fit together right in Death Star mode.

14. ectoneon

Yeah I think it's the deluxe one I have. He's about the same size as a modern day deluxe in robot mode. I think the only other version of him is a tiny one anyways.

15. pactron

16. pactron

thank u. if i notice a used one cheap (15-20 bucks) at some point do u think the challenge is worth that?

17. ectoneon

Yeah, that Primus would have been a BIG disappointment for you. It was for me in the transformation department. It's literally three steps with the omega lock, then fine-tune the hands and feet. lol I only got it cuz I found one real cheap at a thrift store.

Opps, I thought you meant prime. Wfc Bumblebee is complex enough. Some people have a lot of trouble with him. Car to robot is very easy, Robot to car, a bit more of a pain, but it's more on the line of many small panels that have to line up just right. I think he's decent enough challenge though. But his huge backpack kinda sucks. On the plus side if you got it you can choose from BB or cliffjumper colors.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mach Kick, start in robot mode, no instructions.

19. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Going with Alternators Wheeljack and Masterpiece Grimlock would be the best combo. But MP Grimlock isn't challenging at all, just a souped-up G1 update, but still a great figure anyway.

That one is hard. Getting from robot to car is ok, but the copter mode was much more complex, the amount of arm twisting is insane!

I think I was never able to fully transform him, the legs just didn't bend the right way. I hated him for that! So I think I can put him on the "hard to transform" list.

Masterpiece Starscream is quite an easy one. He's right behind MP Grimlock in easyness. If you only want challenging figure, don't get this.

Most Alternators will offer you a decent challenge, especially on your first try. Some are easier than other, I would say the Viper and the Jeep mold are the easiest one, and the Mustang the hardest. But like most Transformers, the most tricky part is nearly always getting them back in car mode, and all of them can give you a nice run for your money on that!

20. Doctor Scalpel

Doctor Scalpel Banned

You should go and get the TFs on the top 10 most difficult list. Most of them are accurate but as discussed, Rotf mixmaster was not in it. Other figs that I thought were quite fun and difficult but not in it include:

1) henkei hotshot - one of the best deluxe transformers IMO. the whole flipping the limbs thing. Amazing

2) rid buildking

3) alternity starscream

4) rid Jrx/railracer