How about just a *single* Transformers line? The Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Dec 19, 2010.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Gotta admit- woke up with a head-ache, and days like that I am never in a good or patient mood.

Just left a discussion regarding in package photos of upcoming figures- Classics / HFTD / RTS... and people ave some strong feelings about the different sub-line names.

And I have to say, to an extent... very limited extent... I can kinda see where some of them are coming from.

So, here's my solution: just make (1) toyline, which encompasses all the sizes... and call it:

The Transformers... and it have ay type of tiy in it. Same packaging... and each toy could be called "Movie Prime", or "G1 Bumblebee" and have the toy reflecgt that style- yet under the same banner: The Transformers. Just keep it simple.

No more Classics / niverse / HFTD / RTS/ etc. / whatever.

Just The Transformers.

What do you all think?

2. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Whilst it's a nice idea (and it worked well enough in 1984...), I think the styles at the moment are too diverse to fit a single banner.

Having the toys in specific packaging by lines makes it easier for parents to identify lines when their kids ask for the toys. If they're asked for "Arcee", and their kid watches the cartoon, they can look for the boxes that match the Animated title text. If their kid only knows the films, on the other hand, they can look for the darker, metallic logo of the films.

Putting a prefix on the name will only throw people who aren't neccessarily aware of any distinction (especially things like "G1", which would only really be recognised by fans at this point).

3. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    While I like then idea of just one line (a nice throwback to 84) Autoclot has a point, with so many different TF universes under Hasbro's wing, it would be very confusing for parent or kids.

4. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    They have to stay fresh, so re-inventing themselves is a must with new lines...now some lines are questionable like hftd and reveal the shield....htfd was just another way of selling movie toys...rts. is kinda pointless when you have generations....

5. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I never understood why they changed Generations into RTS. I mean the rub symbol is nothing new. The G1 toys startign in 85 had them, some BW toys had them, and even the first wave of Classics had them.

6. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Which is why I suggested incorporating the name of the show as a part of the character name or something equivelant.

People don't generally look for characters according to lines. They look for Jazz or Arcee. Do kids really ask their parents for HFTD only figures? Do kids really know the difference between HFTS or RTS? Hell, half of the fandom can't even keep it straight.
    Just have 1 line and 1 line of packaging. If a kid asks for Arcee, and mom and dad see 3 diferent Arcee's on the shelf (G1, Movies, PRIME) then that's why you incorporate the show's Title into the character name.

So if a kid wants Bumblebee, he will know what it is called: G1 Bumblebee, Movie Bumblebee or PRIME Bumblebee. That's what they ask mom and dad for and that's what mom and dad look for.

7. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Just another level of meaningless confusion.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Generations has not become RTS. Generations is still running alongside RTS, just look at the new in-package pics of Scourge and Kup, for example.

9. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Well-Known Member

No, it's because retailers want a new name. They're a lot more likely to order Wave 1 of Reveal the Shield than they are to order Wave 17 of The Transformers. That's just the way it works. It's not just toys either. Comic books do the same thing. A series will be rebranded as number 1 to sell more copies, then revert to issue 500 to sell more again once that time has passed.

10. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    But they're both part of Classics, right?

Gets confusing though.

11. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I guess something like a single line would be really hard to pull off simply because Transformers has such a wide and varied set of Universes. Leaving aside arguments like 'trukk not munky' (oh my Primus the whining that would be caused by merging Beast Wars/Machines and the other lines into a glorious unified whole...it would go on forever), you have several different toys sometimes representing the same character within the same franchises. 'Movie Megatron' could refer to as many as six or seven different toys, and even 'Voyager Movie Megatron' wouldn't really narrow it down (it would have to be "Voyager Movie Megatron: you know the green one that turns into a sort-of tank if you squint a bit and wasn't really accurate although there was that one scene he was covered in seaweed so I guess..." etc.)

That being said, I am getting so confused with the Classics/Universe/Generations/RTS line. I barely had the differences between Classics and Universe down (still get a little confused, tbh, but that might just be because I'm thick) before Generations hit, and now Reveal the Shield is confusing the heck of me as well. It would be nicer if they just used an umbrella term for the lines concerning Geewun/Geetwo/BW/BM/RiD/etc. remakes ("Past Glories" or something?) and then gave all upcoming franchises individualistic names: Transformers Animated, Movie, Prime, etc. Then again, this is why sites like tfwiki and tfw2005 are so goddamn handy, so having all of the differences under your belt if you have a modem in your house is kinda redundant. "Which toy is this? Oh right, that one. Cool, I'll take it."

12. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I don't see the purpose. Since all that's happening is the packages changing to one universal package, likely incorporating multiple versions of the same character, it would only add more problems. Especially with a naming system like G1 Prime, Movie Prime, Prime Prime etc. It will only add to the confusion to parents trying to discern the difference between Movie Bumblebee and WFC Bumblebee.

13. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Nah. I like it the way it is.

14. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I couldn't care less. Just give me the toys and I'm happy.

15. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree to both posts.

The format is working for Hasbro. The toys are selling and they are making money. Till it's no longer selling they will continue to do what sells.

16. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

For all I care they can have 5 separate lines giving us classics styled figures. I don't care what the box says, all I care about is the figure inside.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Didn't Hasbro do that with some of the Universe releases, with the timeline on the packaging? I thought it was quite a good idea.

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Won't work. Stores and customers both need to get the feeling what they are buying is new, so even if the toys would stay the same, Hasbro still needs to update the line once in a while.

That's why things such as Allspark Power and Reveal the Shield exist: to prevent customers from thinking 'I saw this in stores a year ago..I'm done with it'.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I am not physically capable of caring any less than I am right now about the name. As long as the toys remain this quality I would buy them no matter what the name.

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

To many versions of given character/figure to keep it under one line.