How about a toyline where the vehicles are in the same scale as each other?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    No, not Alternators. Something different.

Cars would be Legends sized, whatever scale that is. Then tanks, jets and other vehicles would be scaled accordingly.

It would have to be a new series with new characters. Leaders are expected to have large toys so they would have to have an appropriate alternate mode. The whole series would be based around this size scale.

There would not be characters in multiple size classes as we get currently. Unless a character gets a change in alternate mode.

There would be some Cybertronian alternate modes however since these can be any size. A Cybertronian Deluxe car would still be in scale with a Legends earth car. The Cybertronian would tower over the Earth car when in robot mode so characters chosen would have to be appropriate for the size class. Cybertronian flying machines at a Legends size class would be really tiny in robot mode if they were in real life despite their alien futuristic appearance.

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Perhaps the solution is to Tweak the type of vehicles to meet the scale needs? Just do something a bit different than the usual.

I do like unmanned Drones Like Revenge of the Fallen Skystalker or Prime Soundwave. As an extra sinister and slim Swarm of attack machines. They seem more believably in scale with the cars simply for that suspension of disbelief in those little horrific excutioners.

play with the vehicles more with a purpose of utility and a Arms race to Vaporize Increasingly Epic Adversaries. Beyond the bit stream of our Limitations.

Perhaps what I'd do is try to make scale less relevant. One way would be to just let Collosal Battle platforms that change into War Machines be managed by a team of Cyberverse Vehicle Legion class and commander class figures.

And then focus on their story as they struggle against rival teams Maintaining and Defending their own Heroic and Evil Juggernaut Mechas.

Scale would less about strict realism and more about making the toys feel more expansive.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I rather just keep it as it is now. I rather have the robot modes be more in scale, though I could care less about scale at all.

4. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I'm with you, Bass XO.

Definitely up with a lot of new characters to fit the scale-realism, mix in some old favourites.

I'd start with cars at deluxe however, giving room for bikes and golf buggies at scout-class, and lawn mowers and technology at legends-class.

I'm sure there are enough construction vehicles, helicopters, tanks, trucks and what-not to fill a voyager-class. Maybe even light aircraft.

That leaves the jets, euclid trucks, steam shovels, military helicopters for ultra and leader class. Maybe even a giant telescope or satellite receiver.

How about, if we're having new characters, giving them non-humanoid robot modes? How about sticking them in scale with the alt modes (and therefore the toy size)?
    Legends class figures could turn in to large crabs or small dogs, scouts could turn in to a panda or a lion, cars are tigers, rhinos, sharks and pteradactyls...

I'm thinking of a chopper motorcycle that becomes an ibex, a construction vehicle that turns into a T Rex, a freightliner that turns into a mammoth and a tank that turns into a dragon.

5. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    While I'd love to have things in scale, I think I like the ability to have all type of alt-modes at each toy price point. I like that I can get a plane at legends size, or a voyager vehicle.

And when it comes down to it, I'd say a lot of kids don't even realize that a jet is so much larger than a car, let alone care. And at the end of the day, kids are the target audience.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. What happens if kids want a plane TF but is priced out of it? It's a good idea by the TC but in the end if the most kids hardly care about scale.

IMO Hasbro has done a pretty decent job and I think that the focus is on bot scale and I hope they continue that trend.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like scale and would at least look favorably on such a line if not buy it. Heck the pics took of correct movie scale figures in the Scale thread made me giddy and I hate movie characters.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Legends Cars = ~1/60 Scale
    [​IMG]

I love the idea, but I think it needs to be very carefully planned so it doesn't end up stagnating with the classes each being stuck with just one or two alts. While modern jets are pretty much locked at Ultra/Leader/larger, you can get aircraft in the smaller classes with things like biplanes, light-sport aircraft, roadable aircraft (i.e. "flying cars"), and certain UAVs.

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I just try to display my toys with similar scale ones next to each other. For example, i have voyager Demolisher displayed with my Cyberverse toys.

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    They have a toyline where everything is the same scale. It's called GI Joe.

11. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what i wouldn't give. we've come pretty close as you can see from NIDFAN's photo, but a toyline designed to be in perfect scale would be great. starscream would end up being impossibly large compared to optimus if they kept him a standard jet, though.

12. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

This has came up before, but it showed how Astrotrain would be the largest character.

Some one made a chart.

Found it.

Attached Files:

13. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Dude BLudgeon is not that big. He can drive between building blocks, its not Godzillas foot

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  15. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    take the measurements yourself, you'll see.

16. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'd hate it because every size-class would pretty much have the same vehicles. Like Legends, but don't like cars? Sounds like you're SoL.

DotM's biggest problem in my book was the fact that the alt-modes were too repetitive. This line would take the repetition and give it steroids.

17. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I would hate this. Some of the cool characters would get shitty toys due to them having to be small.

18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

This is something I've always wanted, an in-scale TF line. I know scale discrepancies shouldn't bug me as a TF fan, but I can't help it, they do. And I hate mass-shifting except in special cases.

So yeah, I'd be all over an in-scale line. A Legends/Cyberverse-type line seems the best way to do this, since the "meat and potatoes" of the line (the car-bots) would be small enough that they would leave plenty of room to grow for bots with larger alt modes like jets, trucks, and space shuttles (which would be, like, Voyager-size next to a Legends figure).

This couldn't really work as a mainline, though. It would be too limiting, and frankly there aren't enough scale-nut consumers out there to make it worth the trouble. For a mainline, one thing I've suggested in other threads is a sort of "sliding scale" system, where things aren't exactly in scale with each other but there is an attempt to at least keep alt modes consistent across the size classes. So, cars would be Deluxe (say, small deluxe, like the DOTM and PRID toys), large trucks and tanks and dinosaurs would be Voyager, planes would be Ultra, and supersized vehicles like space shuttles would be Leader. Scout/Cyberverse-size could be reserved for things like motorcycles and small beasts, and Minicon-size for object-bots. Such a line would still be out of scale, but it would at least have the right general "feel" as far as who should be bigger than who.

One way to facilitate an in-scale line would be to also provide human driver figures. Heck, that's what kept the original Diaclone line (at least the cars that would later become Autobots) in-scale with itself, and the same principle makes HA in-scale.

Oh yeah, haha, that was my chart, I made that years ago. A few people commented that it wasn't quite accurate, though, as I think my numbers may have been a bit off on the length of a tractor-trailer truck. But still, that's the general idea. Here's a larger image of it:

[​IMG]

I guess I'm one of the few people who would be happy to sacrifice a bit of detail in the mold of some characters at the expense of getting them in-scale. I just think there would be something so thoroughly satisfying about looking at a shelf of figures and knowing that they could all exist in the same universe.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  19. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

On top of that if Astrotrain was able to carry tanks and fighter planes inside him he would have to be some kind of super sized experimental decepticon monster robot.

Would be silly to see prime and megatron fighting it out since megatron would be hand gun sized against a transfer truck.

20. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always found Astrotrain to be a bit....funny like that. :p  LOL He was the size of a shuttle as a shuttle, the size of an old steam engine when he was in that mode. Yet whenever it was time for him to carry his allies anywhere, his interior was like those tents you see in Harry Potter. Little on the outside but plenty of leg room on the inside.