Houston Texans to trade top draft pick?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omnibus Prime, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Bwa?

:peoples: 

So, they offer Carr a contract extension, which seems to indicate that despite Vince Young's hometown connection, they're opting for Bush over Young. Now they might trade away Bush?

Of course, Bush may very well flame out like so many other Heisman winners in recent memory (seriously, aside from Eddie George and the recent Carson Palmer, you have to go back to Barry Freakin' Sanders to find one that lived up to the hype). So if some team is willing to trade away their immediate future (like the Saints and Ricky Williams) and give the Texans like 8 present and future draft picks just to get Bush...maybe it's not a bad idea.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    PleasebetheNinerspleasebetheNinerspleasebetheNiners!!!

3. Omnibus Prime

:lol  :lol 

Personally, I'd like that. It's just cool when players wind up with teams geographically close to where they played college ball and/or where they grew up. I want the Texans to pick Young just b/c it'd be fucking awesome to see him play for his home town. It'd have been kinda cool if Manning had gone to the Titans, etc.

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Getting Reggie Bush is not entirely the answer to the Niners woes, but at least we could get a possible star... What we DO need is the fricken offensive linemen that our dear old dumbass owner says is an excessive luxury we don't need... :banghead: 

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Well that would be good for who ever the #1 pick is. I sure wouldn't want to play for the Texans if I was that good.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Texans need some better offensive line players more than they need a new RB.

7. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'd be wary of Young. He reminds me too much of Mike Vick, and out of the top three QB prospects, he seems to be in the best position to not quite live up to hype.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Okay, maybe it's because I don't watch football...but where the hell did the "Houston Texans" come from? They have an expansion? Isn't there already a Houston Oilers? Or did they change their name?

9. Jux

Heh. You're about a decade late, but the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee and became the Tennessee Titans.

Houston got a new franchise ... three years ago? Four? Sometime around 2002, I believe.

10. Omnibus Prime

Yep, 2002 season. First year for the Texans, and the new alignment along with 'em (which I'm still getting used to).

11. Jux

I lived in Houston when the Oilers left, didn't think they'd get another franchise so soon.

As for the new alignment ... it's still odd not having Seattle in the AFCW anymore.

12. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I think it would be a smart move for the Texans. They don't have a team than can support Bush right now, he would just end up getting wasted from a lack of blocking.

I really believe that Young will never play a single NFL game as qb. He just isn't a strong enough qb to play at the pro level. He's a good runner though, he would probably make a good running back or maybe even a tight end.

13. Jux

He's been too impressive for some team to draft him in the top 3 and then ask him to convert positions.

He'll play QB, but I see him being closer to a Michael Vick style ("flashy, but not really a good QB") than a Steve McNair-type running QB.

14. Jux

Speaking of Young, he's reportedly bombed his Wonderlic test.

Espn.com

15. Omnibus Prime

I think he will. The guy has talent, but I think he should have stayed for his senior year, and not just because I would have liked to see UT get a shot at a repeat. :D 
    He just needed/needs more time, since he really didn't 'bloom' or whatever until the latter half of the 2004 season. While his stock was high after the Rose Bowl, even without a Heisman and/or a repeat next season, he would have been a better quarterback, end of story.
    But..we'll see. I hope he has a successful career wherever he lands...and whatever team that is will be my new second-favorite team, after the Bears. Ol' Ricky (Williams) didn't quite pan out, but Young has far surpassed him in terms of local legend status.

16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Trading the top pick would be better in the long run for the Texans.

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    So another joins McNabb in the bombing of the Wonderlic Test...:lol 

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

As much as I want the Niners trade up to get Bush I don't think it's gonna do them any good. They are already saddled with Alex Smith's contract and handling out another #1 pick contract isn't gonna do it. I prefer that they either draft the best Defense guy available at #6 like A.J. Hawk or trade down for couple of draft picks and solidify their defense, offensive line, and wide receiver. Besides Frank Gore has promise and can be their starting RB. Don't need to spend all that money on a guy who can't possibly carry Niners to the Playoffs by himself. Since Mike Nolan is a defensive coach I rather have Niners build Defense first and emulate last year's Chicago Bears. Who needs a offense when your defense kicks all kind of asses?

19. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with the Texans making a trade or 3. They need an offensive line before they can start thinking about improving their offense, which already has a good core. I think they need to invest in a receiver or two, somewhere down the draft line, with good hands and speed too....but, first and foremost, you definitely have to give Carr more time to throw and good lanes for their running backs to plow thru.

20. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I agree... Bush is nice but not what we need... The question is, will we be able to get what we need at the #9 draft position (I think we're at #9, not sure...) I think if we are at #9 we're in pretty good position since we don't need a marquee player per se... What we do need is exactly what you said, defensive help, offensive line help, and receivers... Personally I'd like to see them stock up on the O-Line... I'd go for them first, then receivers, then defensive help...

We went with a different defensive scheme last season which seemed okay... One problem I've noticed was that the scheme pretty much negated Julian Peterson... That in itself is pretty detrimental I think...