House of the Dead Overkill?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tikgnat, Feb 14, 2009.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So has anyone else picked this up? I got it today along with 2 HOTD gun things for the Wiimotes.

TBH its not great, the frame rate is quite choppy, kill animations are choppy, graphics are murky and dark (par for the course on the Wii I guess) and Gun accuracy could use some tightening up, which again, I guess is a limitation of the Wiimote technology.

Theres lots of rediculous gratuitous swearing and a script written by a 5 year old, which considering the whole sub b-movie feel works quite well.

This sounds incredibly negative, yet for some reason I'm enjoying this immensely. Could be I miss light gun games from yesteryear or it could be the fact that shooting the legs from under a 'mutant' and watching it crawl toward you never really gets old?

Edit.
    Also Official Nintendo magazine gave it 90% according the the sticker on the front. Suspicious.

Edit 2
    And the manual says its forbidden to discuss this game until you finish it. Screw that noise.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    forbidden? what, like if you do they track you down and eat you?

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i miss gun games, i mean proper gun games not these wiimote guns.

if it came out for ps3 with g-con support i might be interested.... yeah i didn't contribute to this thread.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been burned by atrocious light gun games so i don't really check them out. (Especially a RE light gun game.)

I know one feature that could save this game:
    an unlockable level where all the zombies are UWE BOLL clones and you have to protect a movie studio from them. You have to keep an UWE Boll from reaching the director's chair on a soundstage shooting a scene for the Duke Nukem movie.

FTW!

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you're supposed to be able to calibrate your wiimotes so that the game is dead-on accurate. First I've heard of it all being choppy too.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it as hilariously badly-dubbed as the previous Wii HOTD games?

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm still waiting for a port of the Bullseye game I had for my Spectrum lightgun, bus fair home for Nintendo until I can win a speedboat.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lethal Enforcers ftw. :) 

Do the light-guns of old work with modern flat screens? ISTR they worked by tracking the scanning line on cathode ray tubes.

9. RabidYak

I doubt it. I remember that the DC gun had small print on the box saying that it woulden't even work on Widescreen, 100hz or rear projection TVs.

10. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No, the game uses the Wii 'sensor' bar to work out where you're shooting. I had real issues with the aiming despite calibration, but now that I moved my 'sensor' (sensor, lol) bar to the top of my TV it actually works pretty good now, at least as good as the Sega Saturn light guns I think.

Actually I've now had a couple of days on this, and I'm pleased to say I like it even more. Massively in fact. 9/10 still seems too high but 8/10 for sure.

Nice stuff I'll mention...

Its funny as hell. Seriously, they took every B-movie buddly flick cliche and shoved it into this game, along with some new seriously fucked up ideas. I'm not gonna give anything away, but its pretty sick. And funny.

It refers to other Sega light gun games a lot, especially previous HOTD entries. Like HOTD2s Venice boat sequence, there's something similar in this, a boat sequence in a swamp. And during the final lab level, I kept thinking of the lab in last the part of HOTD. I'm gonna assume they referenced it too, but I can't remember the original level clearly.

I'm using two HOTD AMS issue hand cannons. The Wiimote fits into them and then look/feels like massive white revolvers. Using this works a treat and totally adds a new dimension to the game. The gun even has storage for your wrist strap and a lead out hole so you can still attach your nunchuk, run the cable through a long slot on the outside of the handle and use it in your other hand.

It has an AWESOME combo system. Kill a zombie/mutant without missing you get a kill with different bonuses for head/torso kills. Keep killing and so on for bonuses and multipliers. Even in 2p mode if you shoot a corpse recently made by your teammate it won't break your combo, it just won't add to it. If your partner shoots the legs out of a zombie out so it falls to the floor making you miss your carefully lined up headshot you DO lose your combo. Lots of bickering will ensue.

The upgrade system works really well. Doing well in the game gives you cash. ie, accuracy high scores, shooting bonus items etc. You can upgrade your standard AMS magnum so its not, well, a piece of poop. Upgrades are damage, recoil, rate of fire, clip size, reload. Then there are other weapons to buy, complete with their upgrades. Shooting a zombie in the face with a maxed out shotgun and watching it explode in a red cloud is AWESOME. And theres an Auto Shotgun I've yet to save up for!

And you'll need tricked out guns. Theres a decent mix of zombies. Fast zombies, slow zombies, tank zombies, zombies with crash helmets on (so suddenly you lose your combo when your shot bounces harmlessly off their head). There's even American football player zombies, who are fast, armoured with helmeted heads! If you try and blast away at their heads they won't suffer any damage. Shoot at their torsos and the football padding protects them long enough that even though you might kill 1 or 2, the others will get you! Solution? Shoot their feet out then take your time as they crawl to you! Lots and lots of examples of this type in this game. Not just mindless shooting.

The interface is also customisable. Default settings are 'danger cam' on, 'shot vibration' on and 'crosshair' on. I'll tell you what these mean.

Danger cam is basically allowing the camera to look around a bit while it flies around on rails. If you move the crosshair to the edges of the screen it will angle the camera that way. Now I'm not used to that, so my first few goes were very vomit inducing. Then I switched it off and BOOM! Suddenly its a normal old school light gun game. I suspect this feature is there to show people how much light games have advanced. Maybe. I think it 'might' help with picking up/spotting bonuses, but I'll have to turn it back on to see.

Shot Vibration is basically your wiimote will vibrate when you position your cursor over a legitimate target. This is for the great unwashed, the 'casual' gamers that all bought a Wii for Wii sports and generic party game 97. Poop, turn this off to conserve your batteries at least.

Crosshair. Shows a crosshair to show you where you're shooting. Again this is for the 'casual' gamer, and turning it off does indeed feel more like a classic arcade light gun shooter... except with it set to 'on' my accuracy goes right through the roof and those crazy achievements are suddenly well within reach... ah ha.

And the great thing is you can fiddle these three options and recalibrate your gun whilst in game, which is another great touch.

I finished the game yesterday with my wife, and the ending is totally totally fucked up. BUT!!! It unlocks the Directors cut mode which runs though the game again, but from slightly different routes through the levels and (I hope) leading to a different ending.

It doesn't have achievements, but achieving certain tough criteria unlocks extras.

My gripes.

Previous Sega light gun games always flashed the screen when you pulled off a shot. This one doesn't, and it feels a little strange. I'm guessing the flash got taken out because if you use the sub-machine gun we'll be seeing a lot of new frothing at the mouth while watching/using a Nintendo product cases again.

The graphics ARE very dark and murky. I even went so far as to dig out my 360 component cables so I could run the Ratatouille DVD screen calibration thing on my YPrPb channel (my TV remembers different settings for every type of channel) and got it looking as best it could on my TV. Buts its STILL very dark. At least I could actually see what was going on though.

Anyway. Really happy with this game, those mutants are mean mutherfuckers!

Edit
    Hand cannons.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-House-Dead-Overkill-Cannon/dp/B001O2S1QS

Sweet. And all my previous lightguns had wires, these don't! (Obviously)!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  11. smangerbot

dayum. kinda do want, but not enough to buy a wii for. i think the 360 is in need of some lightgun games!

12. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't get your hopes up Smang, unless you want a port of that god awful Time Crisis 4. A good friend of mine just took his PS3 copy and guncon to that pawn shop we call Gamestop.

13. RabidYak

Talking of Namco, i'm bewildered that Point Blank isn't on the Wii yet considering that its about as good as novelty group gun/pointing games get.

14. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Seriously.. Sounds like you didn't go through your proper set up with the Wii originally. If you had to move your sensor bar to the top of the TV to get the aiming to work, then you had the Wii set to have the Sensor bar above your TV, while it was positioned below it.

15. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

My sensor is under my tv I got no problems aming at all

I just finished the first version of the game about to start really hammering into directors cut soon. And my only real complaint is once you upgrade the shotgun (the auto or regular) the rest of the guns simply become useless which sort of takes away from the multiple gun system. Though using an assault rifle is still incredibly fun.

I also kind of think 50 is a bit steep for the game but I paid for it and got no regrets. Its a fun little romp and I hope they do a sequel to fix some of the bugs.

16. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I know.. But I think he had the Wii set so that it thought the sensor bar was above the TV when it was below it.

17. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

The Wii's never worked well with the sensor bar under the TV for me, and yes I set the option for it to be under the TV at the time. My friend's on the other hand always worked better under the TV.

I need to get this some time. I love the HotD games but money is tight after spending $120 on other games recently.

HotD 4 was announced for 360 a long time ago, I assume it's been canned. It was pretty fun playing it the local Sega Game Works. It had a motion sensor in the gun so you could shake zombies off if they managed to grab you.

18. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I had my bar under the TV, and the Wii was set to have the bar under the TV, I'm not stupid.

The way I see it, when the bar is below the screen, it rests on the TV stand, and is around 10cm away from the screen. Also where it sits is close to the glass stand itself, lots of reflections.

On top of the TV the bar is only a few cm away from the screen, and no reflective surfaces to mess it up. So suddenly its very accurate (relative to what it was) so uh, yeah. Maybe I did have it set up 'wrong'.

Heh.

The reason I went with the bar under the TV in the first place is because none of my other Wii games really needed much accurate pointing.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

one game i really want to see...whether it be the Wii or something else.

PB reminded me of my senior year, every day after school we'd hit up the local arcade and play that game.

20. smangerbot

my hand canon arrived today, holy crap the calibration option is goddamn useless, any tips?