Minor/Repaint: Hotshot improvements!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by J.T.Silversmith, Apr 13, 2009.

1. J.T.Silversmith

J.T.Silversmith Active Member

I’ve always liked Hotshot, but I thought the Armada toy was rather bad. I am one of those people who think Gimmicks usually ruin a figure. Generally all I want in a figure is transformation and articulation. So I looked forward to the new 25th anniversary Hotshot. I don’t mind the missing Axlezooka, or the engine gun, but I was disappointed that he could not use the old Star Saber sword, and I really hated how the spoiler bits on his shoulders collided with the fenders on his back and really interfered with his robot mode. The hands were an easy fix, a ¼ inch drill bit just fits in his hand-hole, and by twisting the drill around it is easy to widen the hand holes enough to fit the older Armada and Energon sized weapons. I experimented with a couple of things trying to get the spoiler out of the way, but it was not really working. Finally I just ended up ripping them off of his shoulders and gluing them onto the fender/backpack bits instead. I did trim them a bit to help them fit, and when I was done they are only a little farther down and back on the trunk. Once the fins are there, the arms can move freely, and the back kibble can be adjusted to a better position, and can finally lay flat. Because I experimented with some things first, I had to shorten the holes that Jolt fit into, so he does not fit into the back the same way anymore. I really do think if you were doing this a little more carefully, you could keep the spoiler high enough to keep jolt on as originally intended. I don’t mind what I ended up with. I never really liked the fan powered car mode anyway. Now I can sit Jolt upside down on the back window, or attach him to the minicon port, and fold his legs and tail down. Also the original Jolt fits on the minicon port, and looks pretty good there. I do also think Hotshot looks really nice using Energon Hotshot’s gun. It looks good as a rifle, or without the missile and “scope” thing as a smaller gun. You can also mount it on the minicon port in robot mode and use it as a shoulder mounted cannon. I may try enlarging the holes on the bottom to see if I can fit the gun under the car, which might work. Now that his arms move he is quite a bit of fun, and I don’t mind the broad arm pose too much, it makes for some fun poses. Really all I need now is a canister he can carry around for his jAaM, and he will be perfect.

Attached Files:

2. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Nice! That's really been bugging me on mine too. I'd been wondering what would be the best way to remedy this. I think I might just have to go for your idea. Thanks for posting!

3. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Man this is a great idea. I guess I'm getting lazy with my modding cuz I was just bummed that his shoulders sucked rather than thinking about how to fix it. I'll definitely be trying this mod especially after your activators BB mod worked so well for me. I can tell by your articulation and transformation comment we have similar views on what makes a good TF

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is some mighty fine work here.

5. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

congratulations, you just absolved me of my frustration in the mold! :) 

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Much better than the Battletrap gun I gave him.

7. truk999

truk999 Well-Known Member

Wow! That put's him way higher on my list of Universe 2.0 favorites. I had to do this right away.

Did you take a dremel to it or disassemble the upper arm to get the spoilers off? I was afraid of scuffing the rear window, so I took the safe route and took him apart. It's 3 screws (don't miss the small one), a glued seam, and a pin that either comes out really easy (left arm) or not so easy (right arm)...your results may vary. :)  Overall, an easy mod with a HUGE payoff.

8. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Just did this with my trusty saw blade and some DUCO cement glue. Awsome mod. It makes my Hot Shot absolutely perfect.

9. J.T.Silversmith

I am almost sorry to say I litterally ripped the spoilers off. One of the things I tried earlier was to see if I could have them rotate around the pins holding them in, and when I tried to rotate them I found out they were glued in place, and the outer support ripped near the window. The inner support held, and did work as a hinge, but it was not enough of an improvement. So I twisted them off of the pins, trimmed the excess, and moved them to fenders instead.

10. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have an alternative way of transforming him that frees up his shoulders. You basically turn the back panels 180 degrees and sit them diagonally on his back. You can use the minicon port that way and one panel sits on top of the other, but it's a fast make-do solution.

I'll try and post pics but my camera is down at the moment.

11. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This is how he should have been made in the factory. The spoilers look much better in both modes hanging off the back fender as opposed to his shoulders. It's a great mod and one I hope to be able to do when I eventually get mine.

So which method is the easiest way to get the spoiler off?

12. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

take apart the arms its worth it, but dont bother pulling out the pin just get a hobby knife and cut the area of the spoiler thats grabing the pin,you can then glue them to the spot they would sit in alt mode then trim the excess so the back window can slide under when you transform hotshot back to jamcar.
    if you did it right it will look as if you did not alter the toy in alt mode and jolt should fit right in.

13. J.T.Silversmith

Yeah, what he said. I would agree with red00wolf, take your time and do it carefully and you will be happy with the results.

14. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

I'm glad you mentioned that. I was wondering if they could just be moded so that they just rotated. Good to know what a hassle it is before I tried it. :lol 

Haven't gotten around to doing your mod yet, and I still intend to, but for the time-being I thought up something else you can do with the back kibble. Adding huge exhaust pipes would probably add to the illusion, but I took the back pieces out of their holding connections and placed the posts in Hotshot's hands to (almost) look like guns.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (sorry about the blurry camphone pics). It's not perfect - in fact it looks more like he's wearing his own version of those Hulk gloves lol. But it's somethin'.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up J.T.!

15. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I had my hotshot do that once or twice but i had them connect to the arm holes.