Hotel quirks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seeker311, Mar 3, 2009.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    So last weekend I was out of town on a training for work, and noticed how there are some quirks I have when stayin in hotels:
    1. I find it harder to poo; for some reason I cant go and get gassier.

2. I cant seem to keep the TV on one channel; I seem to be amazed at what the crappy cable has to offer that my dish does not.

3. Even when Im alone in the room, I put all my stuff in one corner.

Anyone else have any weird quirks/habits when staying in hotels?

2. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

i always use the remote only after placing it in a plastic bag so not to touch it.

i always take really long hot showers because the water bill wont be coming to me

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

that, makes a lot of sense lol

4. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

haha.. yea.. my way of "getting away with it" without having to pay i guess

5. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mostly try not to touch any part of the room that I know has probably not been cleaned. I always put a chair against the main door, walk in socks and sandals, don't put the covers over my face, etc.

Yeah I'm paranoid.:D 

6. odelay

odelay Downunder-bot

I travel a bit for work and have a couple of regular runs so I work out which hotels are the ones like and stick to them.
    Prerequisites
    (A) Bathroom must be clean and newish, and a proper shower head, no watersavers.
    (B) Discovery chanel.
    (C) safe parking for my jeep.
    (D) water view where possible
    (E) good crispy bacon on the breakfast buffet, no soggy bacon

And where possible I stay in the same room each time.
    I get in, chain the door shut and take most of my clothes off and watch discovery channel until dinner time.

A rep in a company I used to work for took the spare roll/s of toilet paper every time and due to his frequency of travel and single status didn't buy a single roll of toilet paper for home for several years, or sugar, or coffee, or shampoo, or soap.

7. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    I spent over 10 years with Marriott, mostly as a manager. Here is my advice to anyone who travels:

* Never, EVER sleep using the comforter. Those are cleaned once a quarter (read: 4 times a year) and people do on them exactly what you think they do - get naked, spank it, whatever. The sheets, on the other hand, are quite clean and are meant to be changed everyday regardless if the guest changes or not.

* Take iheartarcee's advice and put your remote in a plastic bag. Think about all the times you know people use the bathroom, or masturbate, and don't wash their hands. In a private area away from home, people are nasty. Most of the time there is nothing on it, but never take chances. The remote is the single dirtiest touch point in a hotel room.

* Don't be an irrational guest. i.e. don't piss of the staff if they have done nothing wrong. Typically when you have an issue with one employee, go straight to the manager to report. However, if you are a complete tool and NOTHING the staff does makes you happy - especially when they go above and beyond for you and you continue to treat them like shit - you could end up with a horrible stay. I am not condoning it, but desk clerks have to put up with a lot of crap, and every mistake made by every employee gets placed on them by the guests. They are vengeful, have access to your account, and can make your stay extremely long and unpleasant.

* Most of the time, you can get special treatment by just being NICE. They get so many unpleasant guests, being nice and pleasant to the desk staff and the housekeepers goes a LONG way. And regardless of the perception, most hotel staff truly care about their jobs, their guests, and the quality of their work.

* Building on that last statement, you see all these stories and investigations on dateline and local news about catching housekeepers undercover not cleaning their rooms properly (blacklight tests, classes wiped out instead of cleaned, etc.). They go to a ton of hotels for hundreds of hours to get one shot of someone cleaning incorrectly. The stats are skewed, but they never tell you that.

* Blacklights - Yeah, the one thing they never tell you is that the overwhelming majority of the time, the substance in that closet corner, toilet seat, remote control, or night stand is actually the cleaning chemicals. They look for shock value and leave out the details. Sure, many times - especially on high touch areas such as remotes - there is fecal matter or urine (or worse) from improper cleaning, but more than likely there isn't. See above on my thoughts on remotes.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Wow... just... wow...

I've been to some hotels when on vacation with my family, but the only time that I've actually had the chance to be the one to pay for hotel accommodations was when my brother and I decide to go to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The guy at the desk was real kind enough to give us a discount for staying. Given the chance, I'd like to stay at that hotel the next time I decide to go up that way again.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Wait, I'm always made to sleep on the floor with the comforter during manpiles at Botcon :( 

10. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Now I'm scared to touch the remote next time I stay at a hotel. :( 

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Made?

Made?!?

I offered our own private manpile in the bed, but noooooooooooooo, you'd rather sleep on the floor with a spunk-encrusted comforter.

I see how it is.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Whenever I stay at a hotel, the first thing I absolutely must do upon entering my room is spend at least five minutes bouncing up and down on the bed.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Last time we stayed at a hotel was Valentine's Day. They put us in a room next to the guest laundry room. There was a really loud generator that ran in there all night. Damn thing kept us awake all night. We finally called down about 3am and was told there was nothing they can do. Ended up talking to the manager before checking out and got half our money back. Won't stay there again.

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

first thing we do is toss the comforter in the corner....whether we plan on chilling for a while or not.

turn on the AC if its the summer to keep the room cool...yeah i know, we should turn it off when we leave...but i like coming into a room and be cool (not sweaty)

15. odelay

odelay Downunder-bot

Also before I have a shower I run the water on hot only for several minutes fast so the hot water builds up around the floor and makes sure it's disinfected properly, sometimes I even throw one of the bath mats on the floor of the shower and stand on that.
    At home I'm all about conserving water but when I'm away it's different.

16. MikeTSI

MikeTSI TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    (Thinks back to all the times I touched hotel TV remotes)
    EEEWWWWWW!!

17. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I always make sure that I use the TV remote as a jizz rag.

Other than that I don't really do anything that different. Oh, I never trust those little safes they have in the rooms or the cleaning staff so I take all valuables with me when I'm out.

18. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    You and every male business traveler :lol 

And your second point is very much on target.

19. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You know whats sad is that it never occurred to me about the comforter. I always thought it was cleaned on a regular basis. Never use those things again.

I too like to pump up the AC if Im at a hotel during the summer AND leave it on all day. I kinda fell guilty about it, but only kinda. Also, I am a very neat and organized person, however I'm a complete mess when it comes to hotels. The bed is all tossed, I use like 4 towels every morning when getting ready, its weird how that happens.

20. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I know, right? Eww.