Hot Wheels fold-up playsets from the 80s-90s

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hey guys. I'm trying to find pictures & more information on two older Hot Wheels playsets. I know I had both of these when I was a kid and I'd really like to, at least, have a look at them again.

One of them, which I have been able to find some information on, is the Hot Wheels "Railroad Freight Yard." It featured a bunch of trains that you just pushed around, a lot of track, and this big (approx. 2 foot? 3 foot?) fold-open playset that featured 2 (Hot Wheels sized) stories of freight yard detailing & stuff.

Here's one on Ebay (I'm just providing the link f reference.)

Now, there was ANOTHER fold-out city like this, just for cars. I can't find any information on it. I was wondering if anybody knew the other one's name and/or had any pictures of it.

2. SndWve2002

SndWve2002 Well-Known Member

i remember the city one..I had it growing up too...

3. SndWve2002

4. SndWve2002

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Holy crap, yeah. That's one of them.

EDIT: Perused Ebay a bit more and found the other one, the city. Hot damn! I haven't seen this for so long!

EDIT 2: Yeah, the city one was what I was thinking about. Thanks SndWve2002!

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
  7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Wow I feel like i'm 5 yrs old again!

The service center was cool, I used to race cars from the top level all the way down to the gas station. :D 

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Im pretty sure the railroad set was bootlegged later on, back in the 90's, I was given a train set matching the exact track pieces and train pieces along with size.

I dont remember exactly, but I dont recall it having Hotwheels on the packaging.

So yeah, is it a KO?

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Those fold up playsets were awesome. I had the brown one with the buildings. Mine was bought at a yard sale when i was 5 or so.

I think this might be something cool to display the mini TF's (like Bumblebee).

Thanks for this thread!

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I had the city one and the train one, both of which I think I picked up at yard sales. They were so much fun! The train one was great because you could stage awesome trainwrecks with Astrotrain & the Decepticons.

The city one was fantastic...the hot wheels would really fly down that S-shaped curve.

11. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Woo nostalgia. I had those too.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    :lol  I wonder how many people actually got them from stores and how many folks "just ended up" with them. I was talking about these playsets with the guys at my job today, and they all were talking about how they couldn't, for the life of them, remember how they got these sets, but they did own them.

13. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Even better if you had both the City and the Service Center...and a big box: The City came with a small S-shaped piece of track that clipped on at the bottom of the hill. So if you put the City playset on top of the big box and clipped on that track, you could start the car by the hospital, and it would drive all the way down through the City, swerve into the small track, and be dropped off by the elevator of the Service Center, where it would zoom down that ramp as well.

Of course, when the City playset came out, the "Highway Patrol" police cruiser was no longer sold, so you had to use the 1982 "Sheriff Patrol" repaint instead if you wanted someone waiting on that little white ramp to catch speeders.

I suppose buying Hot Wheels repaints in our formative years ("Sure it's an ugly orange-with-purple-trim Corvette Stingray but the red one isn't available anymore! And what do you mean I don't need a red and a white-with-maroon-trim Chevy Citation?") put some of us right in HasTak's hands a few years later....

14. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter