Minor/Repaint: Hot Spot Universe redeco TFFT/Airtanker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by takedown334, Jul 18, 2008.

1. takedown334

takedown334 Response Dispatcher

So after many months of waiting on Universe Tankor aka Octane. I finally have the chance to 'beef up' Hot Spot. I saw tankor as a chance to make a better chance for Hot Spot to shine, the way that Hot Spot was intended fighting wildfires. A National Guard / Forestry apparatus, the TFFT (Tactical Fire Fighting Truck), You may say why the aircraft mode, The idea is to use the flight mode as an AIRTANKER (National Guard and Forestry units used them put out fires by dumping water and or chemicals on the fires out in California).

The feet open up to simulate the chemical/water drop in aircraft mode.
    And in TFFT mode use one gun towards back in between the rear stabilizers as the base and the other gun as a deck gun.

Its done with plastic tape, so its not perfect. When I finally decide to paint it I would like to try to have a blue front body lower chest and more blue showing in "Hercules" and TFFT modes and an autobot symbol and a different head. Tho the windows on the chest area makes it look awful close to the chest of Hot Spot/Defensor. But it's a start to a non-painter custom.

Also I decided to post a picture of our National Guard TFFT Engine here in town at the parade as a comparison. Also a picture of a commercial TFFT tanker that I used for a basis of Hot Spot. With that Helicopter, as the paint scheme for Firestorm, a yellow vehicle and red detailing. Finally Pyro would round out the redecos, the UK G1 exclusive, red vehicle with yellow and black detailing.

Attached Files:

2. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

that's a unique custom. once i get two more tankors, i was thinking of making one Motormaster and another custom. maybe you can try that

3. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    So basiclly yur makin Hot Spot into a triple changer? hmmm i think it will work
    Reading more into it, nd lookin @ yur pictures of the of the real one, i like this idea i might have too look into this 4 me to do aswell if yu do not mind =)

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    at first I was like, nonononono he's not a TC. *L* but.. I like this idea. I hope you pull it off. :) 

5. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    That's a great custom! An interesting take on the alt modes, I like it. In order to make it a little more obvious what it is, I would try to go with a recognizable decor like that one in the parade pic maybe? I dunno.

I was just thinking about painting/modding octane into motormaster. He seems like he's built for it. I think they might do it officially for the line since he's so close to the real deal.

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I would like to see you start using glues to actually complete your modifications, I just wanted to say. :)  part of the fun is forcing yourself to expand your skill-set and push your boundaries, and the thrill of seeing it pay off. It also helps give you worlds of confidence in your abilities (plus then you can TF your works after they're painted and not worry about ripping tape!)

7. takedown334

Thanks everyone. I dont mind anyone who wishes to expound on this redeco for Hot Spot, Firestorm, Pyro and even the idea of Defen-soar. :dunce  Sorry bad joke. or any other customs we may create. It might let Hasbro have ideas for redecos of a one character release.

I tried to keep true with the light blue G1 Hot Spot paint scheme as a Commercial Forestry (TFFT) like North Tree Fire International has. Making it have a more Airport Rescue-Forestry Response feel, since military green doesnt scream fire truck that well.

8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Well I dig it. So is it in wip phase or your done. Either way its cool.

9. takedown334

Its very much WIP phase, until I can get some guidance on painting. Never got the experience and for now just getting an idea of how it might look, if I ever do start to paint customs.

So maybe after I buy about 4 more Tankor/Octanes, find someone near by who can assist in overseeing the project. I might try to take them apart. See how they work, test on how parts might be molded or just painted in that color. BTW, would the molded black plastic be tough to paint on top of?

10. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Depends on what color you want to put over it. White or yellow would be a problem, but any dark color will work with ease. For lighter colors it just takes a few more coats.

The trick with paint is to go slow and do multiple thin coats rather then one thick coat. Get some junkers and practice painting a few different colors on different types of parts. Its the best way to learn before you start painting your own customs. and trust me, practice is the only way to learn or improve when it comes to this stuff.

11. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Man, I had a similar idea - turn the tanker mode into a runway crash truck and the plane into a firefighting plane and do him up as G1 Pyro.

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Sweet. Well I know painting isn't good for some of us..believe me, but practice makes perfect and besides we had our own style so go with whatever makes you feel good.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    td, as always, it's nice to start to see some of your really cool ideas take shape. I echo the encouragement that others here are giving you to take the plunge into the painting pool.

Go to your local dollar store and buy some junk toys and paint on them. That way you can practice until your heart's content and not be out a TF. I'm getting ready to dye some parts for the first time myself. I'm pretty excited about it, but I'll for sure be dying some scrap plastic before I ruin a couple of Alt Primes.[/spoiler alert] :thumb 

Keep up the good work man! I hope to see you painting TFs here really soon :wink: 

14. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:

Only problem with Dying plastic is diffrent plastics will take Dye diffrently so whatever you use to test dye won't have the same effect on what you intend to dye. the red plastic used for Alt Prime will only work with dye if you dye it in darker colors, green dye doesn't take well to red pastic and blue makes it look almost purple. I tried the green with an alt prime to make Hoist and when it didn't turn out right I just started painting instead.

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    doesn't mean he should not do it, JD. Practice makes perfect. Its GOOD to get experience in dealing with dying many different types of plastic, that way you can react more quickly and appropriately when you get hit with one when working on an actual project.