Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by spiritprime, Aug 3, 2010.

1. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    It's been over 25 years since Transformers came out.

Now recently, I've noticed that some people seem to take a liking to Roddy, others not so much. However, I am one of those people that likes him trying his best to be the best leader that he possibly could and trying to fill in Optimus' shoes.

But obviously some people dislike him because he got Optimus Prime killed and did not like his constant whining about his leading of the Autobots against the Decepticons.

So I'm curious guys and gals, what are you thoughts on Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime now and why? Have you changed your mind about him and think he's a cool character? Or do you still dislike him?

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I always like the concept of "the chosen one" being fated to lead the Autobots, but really just wanting to go back to his youth and hang out with his friends, which as leader is something he can no longer do. I think Furman was the only writer who even accomplished a glimpse of that, but thought it was an interesting direction to take a character to avoid the usual chosen one stereotypes (Neo!).
    A classic turning point in the journey of the hero is refusal of the call, with Hot Rod this comes after he'd already accepted the burden. A talented writer could do many good things with this particular character flaw, but it may have been a bit much to hope for in TV animation writing in 1986.
    As it was, he just came across as whiny in the TV show. I miss Hot Rod.

3. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

Rodimus will always be ultimately kick ass for that moment he threw Galvatron through Unicron. Thats like stealing Mr T's milk and throwing it over Chuck Norris.

I also liked the fact he was flawed, Optimus could be too damn smug sometimes!
    Plus he didnt care for Bumblebee as a sidekick.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think all things considered he's a very cool character.

I like the fact that they touched on him not being able to match up to prime and that he grew from these experiences. If they didn't and it was just a case of giving hotrod super powers and having every one suddenly think he's the best leader ever I'd think it would of done both roddie and Optimus a disservice

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rodimus Prime had a lot to overcome... The loss of his leader, animation dip, and leading Autobots nobody cares about (unless your a wheelie,blurr fan). All things considered, he did a pretty good job:thumbs2: 

I really did enjoy the character as a child and I liked his attitude for the most part. Obviously, their was only so much you could do on the 80's TV show because season 3 was just "LETS RIDE THIS GRAVY TRAIN OUT. YYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!" lol.

Personally, I've always wondered if the dip in animation quality was due to the movies failure in theaters:sly2: .

6. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Nah, it was because they outsourced it to cheap Korean animated like Akon.

I like Rodimus. He's no where near as iconic as Optimus, but he's an interesting character. He's not super popular, but I haven't noticed a lot of fans outright hating on him except for a vocal minority. He's not Wheelie, after all.

7. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rodimus to me was the start to a "deeper" G1 Transformers. The whole feeling after the movie changed for me. there were bigger things to deal with then the first 2 seasons, like losing Prime, living up to his leadership, the Decpticons were beat.
    Plus the insaine Galvatron acting all nutty. Ghost of dead Starscream. I loved it. It was "to me" much better then anything before it. Rodimus is one of my fav's!

8. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    I didn't like him at first, but after a while I warmed up to him. Yes he got prime killed, but it was interesting seeing him grow into a leader. He wasn't a carbon copy of prime - prime was more reserved, self assured and wise - Rodimus was impatient, aggressive and full of self doubt.

He is one of the more interesting autobots

I really loved him in the IDW series... right up til the ongoing series. He started out as a daredevil loner who was afraid to lead because he thought got his old team killed - and haunted by the experience....

... into a massive prick who indirectly got Ironhide killed, showed little remorse and then teamed up with decepticons.

Anyone else think Mike Costa might be a hot rod hater?

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I agree here, his characterization is terrible in Ongoing; it's as if Mike Costa took every negative stereotype of Hot Rod and blew them up.

On Rodimus himself, I really liked his character because I see him as an alternative take on the Prime title. He stood out by being different to Optimus, showing that the Prime title does carry its gravitas and burden on some Primes. I identified with him because I saw that he had huge shoes to fill in, and tried his best to work with them.

In this world we often are faced with challenges we do not want. As Optimus in ROTF said, "Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing". Rodimus was a reluctant leader, but considering his leadership despite his (in my view) lacking of natural ability and willingness, I think he did a great job. He shows that some leaders are not born, but are still fully capable at leading. It's his tenacity that is admirable.

My 2 cents.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Hot Rod/Rodimus has always been my favorite character since the first time I saw the original Transformers movie from '86.

Rodimus was not perfect and he had an incredible amount of flaws, but what I enjoyed the most was how I personally could relate to the struggles he faced. He was young, rekless, and unsure about himself and that's why I loved the character so much.

I'm really glad this 2010 year we have seen many homeages and updates to his G1 toy because it is more than deserved.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I always think of his as the product of a badly botched plan by Hasbro. Sure, killing off Optimus gave the movie its poignancy in the long run, but short term it was a decision that ultimately killed the G1 cartoon. The treatment of Rodimus in the show was somewhat schizophrenic. It was as if the writers were torn between him being guilt stricken over Optimus death, indecisive, and incompetent, and being the capable Chosen One.

Ultimately I don't think any treatment of Rodimus by the writers ever could have preserved him as the iconic leader of the Autobots because he just didn't measure up to Optimus in charisma and character. Being a children's show, Transformers needed a stronger moral narrative with a more powerful benevolent patriarch, ie Optimus - not a brash new leader who suffers from terrible insecurity and treated the human characters as unnecessary window dressing. Optimus was a savior and a hero, and Rodimus was a character study.

12. Rodimus Maximus

Rodimus Maximus Liege Ultimo

Hnnnn...Well, I've always loved Rodimus Prime; his story was a fresh take on the classic coming of age story, prevalent in world folklore and fiction. I loved it then and I love it still. I agree, the character was handled very, very, very poorly in rest of the ongoing series. The writers clearly lost their nerve in their decision, and I agree that this insecurity was transmitted directly to Rodimus' character. This to me was unfortunate because I feel that Rodimus Prime had all the potential to grow into a very fitting and inspiring leader. It was a new era for them, a new generation and thus a new leader with a new vision was entirely appropriate.
    It's perfectly normal for a new young leader to struggle in the shadow of a legendary predecessor. It happened to Optimus in a way when he was suddenly thrust into the leadership position. Indeed, this is a part of life; and it's a part of the Classic Hero's Journey. The fitting conclusion to this is the new leader's over-coming of the inner demons of insecurity and their coming into their own strength. This too would have been a fantastic story for young people in the ongoing series at that time.
    So, again, to me Rodimus Prime will always be one of the great misunderstood characters of TF lore. People are rather fond of calling him a p***y and a whiner and so forth, but that to me just reflects immaturity and/or a lack of understanding over just how difficult and demanding a position of great authority can actually be. The real problem was that Rodimus' story and growth were never completed, because Hasbro and their writers didn't have the creative ballz to stick to their decision with Optimus. They wussed out, they exposed their lack of creative and artistic integrity and thereby ended up trivializing both Optimus and Rodimus. I look forward to the day when some talented soul takes up the challenge to fleshing out the story of Rodimus Prime the way it deserved.

13. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Hot Rod - :thumbs2:  :rock 

Rodimus Prime - :crazy:  :thumbdown  :yuck 

14. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Ultimately, I think Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was a complete failure on Hasbro's part, mostly because they didn't know what they were doing.

- Optimus Prime was a much bigger part of the toyline's and cartoon's success than they were aware.
    - The "chosen one" concept is pretty cool and Hot Rod's arc in the movie was great, but had Hasbro known what they were doing by killing off Optimus, he probably would have wound up as the "chosen one" and not Hot Rod.
    - The characterization of Rodimus Prime in season 3 is all over the place. One episode he's a capable leader, the next he doubts himself and by the time he comes to terms with his status as leader, Optimus Prime comes back from the dead and takes it all away from him, thus making everything that happened since his death, except for the destruction of Unicron, irrelevant in the larger scope of things.

If Hasbro had any inclination towards the "big picture" of this franchise things would have turned out a lot differently. I'm not saying they shouldn't have killed off Optimus Prime, but considering his status as the face of The Transformers as a brand, it's easy to see all the mistakes that were made.

Given how the Beast Wars show was handled, and today's more sophisticated style of storytelling, I think if this were attempted today, Rodimus Prime would have a much better chance of succeeding.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Rodimus is meh to me, I mean i know he had big shoes to fill but he didn't live up to being Leader after Prime's death in 1986....No one would give him Rodimus a chance and wanted Optimus Prime to come back and thus they made Rodimus a emo wuss and temporary leader till Optimus Prime would return at the end of Season 3.

I like Rodimus if he was a Turbo reving young punk and not a wussy Prime.

16. Dio Forever

Dio Forever Active Member

At first I wasnt crazy about him, but he earned my respect.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a fan. Granted, the name "Rodimus Prime" is ludicrously awful. But the movie's story was pretty good (despite giving Magnus the shaft in a bit of a bizarre way), and set up season 3 to be far different and more interesting than what they came before.

Then they blew it...just as Rodimus was stepping up to the plate, deus ex machina led to OP's return. At least they kept Hot Rod as a "leader" character after that in "The Rebirth" but then the show ended anyway.

Optimus is a great character, but sometimes the best characters die. For good. The Autobots became a lot more interesting when someone like Rodimus or Grimlock (in the comics) took over. Wish someone would try that and stick with it.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like him, but he's often not written to his full potential as a character, often just being "loud-mouth jackass #478" and never evolving over time.

The guilt of essentially getting your icon killed in battle then being forced to fill his enormous shoes because of pre-destiny is a great drive for a character.

19. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I love him more than Prime.

I didn't care for him at first, after having seen the movie and then watched seasons three and four, but I was a bit biased against those seasons and the characters in them in general because it annoyed me how they killed so many of the original Autobots off in the movie. But he just grew and grew on me, and now he's one of my very favorite Autobots, period.

Optimus being killed didn't bother me as much as the others being killed - in fact, I think the perfect set up for me would have been Hot Rod/Rodimus with the original G1 Autobots, because I can't get into the team he leads after the movie. I don't like the set of new Autobot characters nearly as much.

I prefer Hot Rod to Optimus because I like flawed characters, and OP has always felt a bit too much like Superman (who has always been my least favorite superhero) - way too perfect and glorified to relate to.

20. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Yes, most of the time, all the Autobots had to do to win was have Optimus Prime battle the Decepticons. Victory was assured every time.

With Rodimus Prime, there was less faith in him because he wasn't as perfect. To the viewers, even though there was an Autobot victory every time at the end of each episode, the Autobots didn't have the trump card that would win every time. You wanted to see if Rodimus Prime will win and how he will win. This made him more interesting IMO.

And as far as Rodimus Prime being a terrible name; only if you're a newcomer I guess. To those of us who have been with Transformers for the past 25 years, its quite familar to us. Season 3 was pretty much the one I started with back in the eighties so I became quite familar with everyone there. I did watch some of season one and two back then but the change over from Optimus to Rodimus and the original cast to the new cast wasn't at all detering. Also, I was a kid and accepted such things pretty much without question.