Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime and Lion-O From Thundercats

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ABrown, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I realize that this has probably been discussed here before, but I haven't seen any discussion of it during my time here. When I was a little kid, I was a huge Thundercats fan. And really I didn't become a big Transformers fan until I saw the original animated movie. I'm one of the rare Transformers fans who actually prefers the characters that were featured after the movie to the ones featured before the movie.

My favorite character from Thundercats was always Lion-O, the young lord of the Thundercats. And my favorite character from Transformers has always been Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, who became the leader of the Autobots (or at least until Optimus Prime came back to life). I've always wondered if it's a coincidence that the two are my favorite characters from each show, given how similar they are. Is it possible that Hot Rod/Rodimus's personality was somewhat based on the success and popularity of Lion-O from Thundercats?

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Doubtful, as production of the movie would have been under way before Thundercats even aired. Story-telling wise, "the Chosen One" is one of the oldest plots in the book, lot's of different franchise echo this archetype.

3. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought this was going to be about how the accessories for the recent classics Lion-O and Masterpiece Rodimus are in nearly perfect scale. Last year someone posted a pretty epic picture of Rodimus holding the Sword of Omens.

Given your affinity for those characters, you should get both figures if you don't already have them. They're awesome.

4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I have been looking to pick up that Classics Lion-O. The Toys-R-Us by me only had Tigra, which I really wouldn't mind picking up either. But I really want the Lion-O figure.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They're both modelled after an extremely common archetype in storytelling.

6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Having watched the original Tron and Star Wars: A new hope recently, I'm seeing a lot more of Hot Rod coming from Flynn\Tron and Luke, respectively.

Hot Rod opening the matrix to Tron using his data disc to Luke holding his lightsaber to the sky in the first posters are three very nice little paradox images.

But honestly, it's just a stereotype. The good hearted, kind natured but brash hero who's tired of meddling around and wants his share of adventure and ends up being the chosen one that saves the universe. Man that's nice but old.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The archetype of the young inexperienced leader trying to prove himself is a very common one. Lion-O wasn't the first. It's an archetype found in fiction for centuries I believe.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Lion-O was a much better leader than Roddy could ever hope to be.

9. King0722

King0722 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This thread makes me think about how much I'd love to have seen a Transformer Season 3 with the continuity of the new Thundercats cartoon and how closely the casts' archetypes connected.

10. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    This. Even Flint Dille and Ron Friedman said they pulled a lot from what was popular around 84-85 (When they started on the first drafts), aka Star Wars aka LUKE SKYWALKER.

11. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

Well, there are similarities but also some differences. Lion-O has to grow into his aged body mentally. After a few eps, he rather quickly becomes someone capable of being followed, a competent leader except for his overeagerness and pride at trying to prove himself by doing things alone (reckless conduct ultimately). He seems to mature decisively somewhere in Season 1. It's hard to say because Lion-O's Anointment, a 5 parter was produced 20 episodes in and then every 5-10 episodes thereafter and that's what gave him the formal mantle of leadership beyond being acting leader.

Rodimus by contrast, got instant wisdom in a can via the Matrix. The physical transformation basically sealed it. And when the Matrix is taken out, instant Hot Rod again. Rodimus was far more afflicted with self-doubt. He repeatedly tried to offer Ultra Magnus the Matrix and needed to be reassured several times by others and he quickly gave up the Matrix to zombie Optimus. Lion-O's doubt never went so deep and rarely wavered. Reluctant, doubting, weary are the words that come to mind whenever I picture Rodimus.

On that, that's part of why I love Season 3 so much, the inversion of leadership models. No longer Convoy Abe with a John Wayne drawl (more pronounced in Ironhide) vs. a powerful general with a great tactical mind and a concern for the well-being of his troops, it was a leader plagued by doubt, weary of the burdens of leadership, doing the right thing (with a far more competent & confident number two who had the ability to unite and lead) vs. a general who has lost his mind and is certifiably crazy and the iconic respect he had in his previous incarnation was rapidly eroding due to his bouts of insanity (and his #2 is a power behind the throne, manipulating him, leading the Decepticons thru Galvatron because he lacks the charisma, though also a caregiver of sorts, taking care of a senile respected former leader). That and the quite subversive for its time Junkions & Quintessons.

Rodimus Prime has the Matrix of Leadership to consult for wisdom, though it's a perilous process, whereas Lion-O as Lord of the Thundercats can sort of call on Jaga (seems like Jaga shows up when he pleases), though Mumm-Ra has disguised himself as Jaga before and Lion-O is too foolish to be able to tell the difference. The Matrix can unleash great power, but only during the darkest hour(s), the Sword of Omens can do almost anything at anytime. Both can only be wielded by a chosen one of sorts. The Matrix only works in the hands of one. The Sword of Omens works in the hands of a pure heart. The Queen of the Amazon Women got to wield it once, yet strangely, other Thundercats can't use it. And while the Matrix has been used twice, emptied once, the Sword of Omens has been shattered, what 3 times? Those were some epic moments of pwnage (most prominently with the Lunataks).

And in terms of number twos, Panthro is far more badass than Ultra Magnus. Both can wipe the floor with opponents, though Ultra Magnus is much wiser and more level-headed (as he was the designated heir to Optimus, not to mention the name) whereas Panthro can be quite hotheaded and his temper can be used to goad him into a trap or stupid move. Though Panthro moonlighted as Grandpa Huxtable. :wink:  Panthro resembles Springer more. Tygra the drug-loving Thundercat didn't have a TF counterpart. Daniel & Wheelie kind of fill Wileykat & Wileykit's role (though he never got stuck inside an old refrigerator). Cheetara owns Arcee though (even though I prefer Pumyra).

12. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could definitely see how you could relate the two but I doubt that was their original intention.
    This on the other hand...^

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Maybe Studio 4°C can create a Transformers show based on season 3 when they are done with Thundercats. I would love it :) 

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which I hope is not for a long while, given how awesome the T-Cats cartoon is!

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Aka the heroic cycle aka Joseph Campbell's monomyth

Monomyth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The specifics in terms of who fills what role in the cycle and when differ, but the two characters basically follow identical paths that they share with characters going all the way back to at least Ancient Greece.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Who so pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil...

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    ...Shall lead the autobots against Mumm-ra and get this bitchin X-wing.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

^I'd pay to watch that movie.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yesss :) 

20. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured that Rodi's character probably wasn't actually based on Lion-O's. But I figured at the very least, it is interesting to bring up their similarities.