Minor/Repaint: Hot Rod Patrol Street Stars

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cycrolus, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    looks like the suspension is broken :D  hahah nice work!!

3. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

I don't get your comments regarding rat rods!??!

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Movie Big Daddy is well Big Daddy, the other of that mold Cyb. Downshift works great for Hubs (which he is now in my toy book:lol ) the other two, well gotta get customs done.

5. HAIL_KING_PRIME

one thing this does make me think of is 1:64 scale M.A.S.K. mmmmmm now that would be cool! OK I'm off to K mart..... no kidding

6. Cycrolus

Ebay:
    These are "Rat Rods" which is kind what the HRPT was loosely based on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. struecker85

struecker85 Autobot

my boy likes these alot

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Your paint skills on these small vehicles is really top notch. Too bad they dont transform technically.

9. HAIL_KING_PRIME

sorry bud but the reason i didn't get the comment is as it seems you don't actually get what a rat rod is , not being a smart ass or putting you down but these cars you have pictured are not rat rods! A RAT ROD is a style of building hot rods in a manner that simulates a car built from scrap yard parts,but in a way that looks as tho it was built in the 50's and is now functional but rusty and old looking

10. Cycrolus

Ebay:
    I see what your saying but as with most words and or terms used in the modern english language there are a few definitions that can be given to one. A rat rod can also be used to define a hot rod from the 40s to 60s era. I only used this term to distinguish the fact that I was looking for them to have a more modern classic hot rod style rather than. I simply used a term that is more often associated with that era's body style. I'm an avid car lover and attend many shows and cruise nights as rt66 runs through every small city around me so there are plenty. I know how touchy classic car lovers can be so no offense:thumbs2: 

11. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

No. It's not.

What you posted, are HOT RODS. Suped up cars dating back as far back as moonshine runners.

Rat Rods are an abstract idea of a hot rod. Using old cars and parts and rebuilding it into an Autobot X version of a hot rod. Mis-matched, chopped, dropped, elongated, and monsterous.

Big difference bud.

Trust me.

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

It's true, Google image search Rat Rod, its pretty self explanatory.

13. HAIL_KING_PRIME

eeek I just wanted to politely correct the dude not start a fight .

14. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to down his customs. I like where he's going with this. But it doesn't hurt to straighten out some facts ;)  It's like misleading info on an eBay listing.

BTW, from the cars you chose, I don't see anything from the 60s.

15. HAIL_KING_PRIME

actually the toy cars in the pics have a mix or straight up custom street machine, pro tourer
    and well...simply muscle car .but yeah terms like RAT ROD is only slightly at best open to interpretation! seems it is being stretched lately with 50/60/70's half finished customs and even lead sleds getting called RAT RODS , unlike the term PRO STREET RATROD can only be used for pre 50's stylized customs build in a certain manner while PRO STREET might just mean big wheels (tubs) drag style big engine etc you get what I'm saying
    now what about PRO TOURING, RETRO TECH, GASSER, LOW RIDER, ahhahaha THE LIST GOES ON

16. Cycrolus

Ebay:
    BEFORE READING HOW i HAVE RESPONDED TO THESE COMMENTS KEEP IN MIND THAT I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE COMMON REFERENCE TO RAT RODS AS UNFINISHED STYLE HOT RODS ALL IM STATING IS THAT ITS POSSIBLE THAT IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY THAT PEOPLE ENCOMPASS THE DEFINITION OF RAT ROD TO INCLUDE OTHER STYLES.

Are you talking about my customs or the pictures I posted? I know what muscle is I'm not calling my customs rat rods they're straight up muscle. I'm saying the original HRP were in a rat rod style and by the definition I gave explaining what I meant was they hailed from the 40's to 60's body style.

Yes the best way to prove a point is to do a quick google image search :banghead:  Actually the two pictures I posted were found doing a quoted rat rod search on google.

Understandable

Just choosing a general timeframe guys this isn't a class, it's about some custom hotwheels I painted as representative of the HRP.

I agree about the list going on and on. such as TUNER, RICE, MODIFIED, ETC.....
    Lets drop a few web based definitions to possibly clarify my statements
    WIKIPEDIA:
    A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.

Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.

The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

Originally a counter-reaction to the traditional hot rod, a label recently applied to undriven cars and super high priced "customs", the rat rod's beginning was a throwback to the hot rods of the earlier days of hot-rodding, built to the best of the owner's abilities and meant to be driven. Rat rods are meant to loosely imitate in form and function the "traditional" hot rods of the era. Biker, greaser, rockabilly, and punk cultures are often credited as influences that shaped rat rodding.

The typical rat rod is an early 1930s through 1950s coupe or roadster. Early (pre-World War II) vehicles often have their fenders, hoods, running boards, and bumpers removed. The bodies are frequently channeled over the frame, and sectioned, or the roofs chopped for a lower profile. Later post-war vehicles are rarely constructed without fenders and are often customized in the fashion of Kustoms, leadsleds, and lowriders. Maltese crosses, skulls, and other accessories are often added. Chopped tops, shaved trim, grills, tail lights, and other miscellaneous body parts are swapped between makes and models. Most, if not all, of the work and engineering is done by the owner of the vehicle.

Recently, the term "rat rod" (or rat car, as modern cars are not actually hot rods like the name suggests) has been used to describe almost any vehicle that appears unfinished or is built simply to be driven.

RATRODSTUFF.COM
    Many people have asked me, what is a rat rod? A rat rod is simply a custom car that is made for driving and hanging out with friends. Rat rods aren't ultra glossy show cars. Instead a rat rod is a "unfinished" street rod that is intentionally left a bit rough around the edges.
    You might be able to recognize most rat rods by their flat black or gray paint but there are no set rules as to what makes a rat rod, a rat rod. I can't exactly define a rat rod, but I know one when I see one.
    The most important thing about a rat rod is they aren't for wimps. You aren't going to see very many tree huggin' wimps driving these babies. Some of the rat rods I have owned have been down right hard to drive, no power steering, no opening doors, brakes that just barely stopped the car (you get the picture).
    Back in the 50's just about all street rods would be called rat rods in modern times, but nowadays the street rod has become a bit "stuffy". Street Rods and Hot Rods are more of a "garage dweller" too afraid to come out at night because it's multi million dollar paint might get scratched. Hence.... the rat rod! A rat rod ain't afraid of a few scratches, heck scratches only add more character. These buckets of bolts are loud, smoky, and ready to burn up the streets. So roll up your sleeves, toss on your shades (yes even at night) and lets go for a ride.

- Fat Tony

STREETRODS-ONLINE.COM
    Rat Rod definition: A Rat Rod is a newly developed name for the original hot rod style of the early 1950's. A Rat Rod is usually a vehicle that has had many of it't non-critical parts removed. They are usually finished in primer or paints that are often period correct. They are very often a conglomeration of parts and pieces of different makes, models and after market parts. The term "rat rod" was first used by the high dollar, show cars guys to describe the low-buck, home built drivers. Don't forget the roots of the hobby (streetrods), it was the little guy in a garage on a budget (with help from his friends) that started it all. If you call them HOT RODS, TRADITIONAL RODS, STREETRODS, or RAT RODS they are here to stay and are making a showing at auto related events across the country. These cars are a form or art and expression of their owners and builders.

Hot Rod

A hot rod is defined by purists as a pre-1949 car or truck which has been modified in such a way to use modern parts. The body is painted and the interior would be fully finished. An abundance of chrome fixtures and big tires, is the norm.

Most people, on the other hand, tend to agree with a more general definition. Any car or truck built to go fast, or look fast, regardless of it's aesthetic appeal, is a hot rod. All of the cars I collect, despite their differences, are all hot rods.

Rat Rod

A rat rod is considered by purists to be a pre-1949 American vehicle which has been finished to look like it was fabricated by a 1940's hot rod enthusiast. Body paint is usually absent, or at most, primer or flat black finish. There is little or no chrome and the interior is left unfinished.

Most people agree on a more general definition. I would consider any well-used looking American car or truck, except mini-vans (yuck). The only foreign cars I would include are mid-1970's and before VW Bugs and older Micro-Bus (Chariot Of The Dead Head). Rice burners (Japanese cars) need not apply.

ezinearticles.com/?Rat-Rods-For-Sale---What-is-a-Rat-Rod
    Street Rod

According to the nice folks at SEMA, a street rod is an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 or manufactured after 1949 and altered to resemble a 1948, or before, car or truck. In both cases, the street rod has been altered from it's original design or has a body shell fabricated of non-original materials.

Finally, please keep in mind these are not hard and fast labels -they are labels for hard and fast cars. If you want to call that 85 Camry a Rat Rod, no one is stopping you. It's all about enjoying America's favorite obsession with the car, rat rod, hot rod, or whatever you wish to call it. Now go out there and have some fun!!

17. HAIL_KING_PRIME

...anyway that Buick with the cowl scoop.... is that just a hotwheels ? or did you ad the scoop?

18. Cycrolus

Ebay:
    Hotwheels. I didn't do much to these.

19. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    OH wow, that's Awesome!! Great job!!