2D Artwork: Hot Rod - Colored

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by VaderPrime1, Apr 9, 2011.

1. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I've been messing around on Photoshop and I came up with this coloring of Hot Rod. The original line art is by Guido Guidi.

I went with the darker red instead of the pink-ish red from the cartoon. Why would you be a sportscar and have the name "Hot Rod" if you were going to be pink? Amiright? :lol 

This is my second line art coloring that I've done and I think I've come a long way from my first coloring. :eek: 

Suggestions are welcome. I'm trying to teach myself how to do this kind of stuff, so any pointers would help! :thumb 

Let me know what you think. :D  All versions can be seen in the attachments.

UPDATE 2 (Different Lighting + Texture + Glared Edges)
    [​IMG]

SCENE
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    yep good progress, you've got a good well defined light source there. main thing i'd say is that transformers are hard and angular so i'd stay away from using strong gradients like that unless the bit you're colouring is curved, flat colours are usually better for hard flat shapes. rough example -

[​IMG]

personally i'm a big fan of the textured look that a couple of the artists here use, it's a very quick and easy way to give it character and a nice weathered tarnished effect. just find a nice image of texture that you like (watercolour or rust is good), paste it over the top, greyscale it, set the blend mode of the layer to 'overlay', and reduce the opacity. couple of rough examples -

[​IMG]

hope that helps!

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you did a great job, and I also think that k offers up some great advice :thumb 

4. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    actually take a look at josh's excellent megatron in my signature for a good example. gradient shading on the curved bits on his head, and flat colours on the flat edges of his fingers.

5. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Woot! Nice coloring. And thanks Kjeevahh, you actually really helped me too.

6. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome!

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Just thought I'd make a random post here: if any of you guys wish to make tutorials, by all means do so (looking at you, k :wink: ). I'm more than happy to resource things that will help everyone out :) 

8. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Thanks! I'm gonna try this out. Can you explain what you mean by finding a texture image or where a good place to look is?

EDIT: Also what do you suggest I do if I want a soft, diffused light source instead of a hard one? That's what I was going for, but I see what you're saying about the gradient making things look rounded.

9. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    For the textures just try typing 'free textures' into google and see what comes up, just double check that the site firstly made the images themselves and secondly definitely gives permission to reuse them for free.

Here are the two textures I used in those mockups:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/033/5/2/stock_watercolor_texture_by_mayshing.jpg

http://www.textureking.com/content/img/stock/big/DSC_6515.JPG

The best thing you can possibly to do figure out lighting is observation, the best artists spend massively more time looking and thinking than they do drawing. Just grab a transformer, put him on your desk, and put a lamp next to him and turn the lights off. then turn the lamp off and the lights on. the difference you'll see is jus tmuch more contrast with the lamp, much more pronounced shadows.

Here are a couple of examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of examples of TF colouring jobs, first one diffuse lighting, low contrast, subtle shadows:

[​IMG]

Second one under a spotlight, high contrast, extreme shadows:

[​IMG]

As for this picture I didn't save the PSD so all I can do is a quick and dirty hack to reduce the contrast, should be enough to get the general idea though:

[​IMG]

10. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    don't know about that, i'm very used to giving art direction and feedback in my day job so very happy to help people where I can, but in terms of doing tutorials I haven't actually coloured a pictured in my life!

11. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    *UPDATED*

I like how you did it the second time: toning down the edges. I'm still trying to figure out on how to go about the lighting on the edges. Do you have any suggestions? I'm using a mouse.

I also did a little scene background also trying the lighting.

12. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    input devices don't really matter, i just use a laptop trackpad.

your most useful tool is the polygonal lassoo (hold down the mouse on the lassoo tool and a sub-menu pops up, choose the one that looks like a jagged line), then zoom and and just select the area you want by clicking point to point. then fill in the area. most colouring doesn't actually involve brushwork.

check out Josh's tutorials, he's one of the best professional colourists in the business and that's how he does it.

When adding in a background obviously there's no end of different approaches you could try, but it might be helpful to borrow an old technique. The following example is by Rembrandt, who knew a thing or two about lighting and contrast. You can see that the he has tweaked the background colours so that light areas in the foreground sit against dark areas in the background, and vice-versa.

[​IMG]

The same technique is sometimes used in studio photography, here's an old example.

[​IMG]

here's a rough example of how that could work for your image, has to be pretty subtle to work well (more subtle than the photo above certainly!), just clicking around a few areas with a large brush on 10% opacity would do it, then just doing the opposite to the foreground.. darkening the side of the image that the light is coming from, and lightening the side of the image that the shadows will be against. Or if it is an illustrative background positioning of elements within it (eg clouds, trees) to the same effect.

[​IMG]

13. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Wow, man, you know a lot about this stuff, you should do some colorings!

I updated it again with everything you've said so far. :D  I still can't believe that, with your help, I did this. My first one (Drift) looks like crap in comparison!

Here's the latest one.

Attached Files:

14. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Nice update! Definitely can see the improvement! I'm going to have to take a few tips off of this.

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    lots of good stuff in here!

for not having colored at all KJeevah's got some great advice!

[and he's right. the input device doesnt matter SO much. I was coloring professionally for 7 years with just a mouse :D ]

You should catch me when i'm doing a coloring on Livestream sometime! you can watch me color live and ask questions as i'm doing it too. just keep an eye out on my deviantart page. i'll be doing one sometime soon and hopefully you can try to be there for one of 'em! might help you out! :D ]

course, i should do a new tutorial soon too :p 

16. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    Hahaha perfect timing! My next comment was going to be to check out Josh's tutorial videos, watching someone colour live whilst talking through how any why they are doing everything is a fantastic way to learn.

Glad to help, the progress from #1 to #2 is very nice to see. After you've been through a few of Josh's vids I'll be very interested in seeing what your third piece will be like!

[​IMG]

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Looks pretty neat!

18. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Code:

Yeah, I've been following you on DeviantArt for a while and I finally caught your livestream when you did Don's Cosmos. I commented and you told me how you were coloring behind the line art... that inspired me to go try it out, and it really helped.

I'll deffinately be looking out for your livestreams in the future. Thanks!

Thank you guys! I'll deffinately will be doing more.

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

ah nice! i didnt connect that it was you!

cool! :D 

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This thread is continuing to rock. THIS is what I like to see here, guys :)