Hot Fuzz 2-pack at Wal-Mart only Full Screen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ktulu, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, I really loved Hot Fuzz and since the US DVD release was today I was rather excited and figured I'd go ahead and go down to Wal-Mart to pick up when I got up this morning. I get there and see they have a 2-pack, the same price as the movie by itself, with the second DVD in the pack apparently having a lot of extra bonus features. However, they only had it in full-screen. I can't stand pan and scan, and there was no one around to ask if they had others in stock, so I decided...there's another Wal-Mart not too far, so screw it, I'll go there. So I get to the other Wal-Mart, and same deal, only full-screen versions of the 2-pack. I actually see employees at this one so I ask one if they have any wide-screen ones in at all. He says no, that's all they're getting, and I asked why they wouldn't have a wide-screen at all because that makes no sense to me. His answer was simply "Wide-screen used to be more popular, but now full-screen is the most popular."

Uh. I don't know about that. Personally, I call bullshit, and figure that if they really are releasing those sets only in full-screen that maybe it's an effort to move those versions as perhaps they're not selling quite as well as the WS ones? I mean just a few weeks ago I bought Reno 911! Miami from there, the 2-pack set, and it was wide-screen. It doesn't really add up to me.

So yeah, have I missed something, is full screen really "taking over" or whatever? I'm not buying it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, bullshit on full frame becoming more popular. Nearly everytime I go looking for movies I see the widescreen sell out or nearly sell out and the full frame clogging shelves.

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah i too call BS....i see more WS get sold...there are times when that's (FS) all that is left case all the WS gets sold.

plus, if that's the case, why is it that when DVDs are sale, the FS versions are cheaper....CAUSE they have harder time to sell.

as for the only FS 2-pack...that i dont get.

4. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Wal-mart 2 packs suck in general. Their 300 two-pack is the bare bones one disc version. Who would want that when there are armless giants with midget archers on their backs on the 2nd disc?!?!

Yeah, the guy didn't know what the hell he was talking about. If you look at Target, widescreen new releases have twice as much shelf space as full screen.

5. Ktulu

News Credits:
    OK I know I'm not insane then, exactly what I was thinking guys

By the way, checked the IMDB board for the movie, another guy elsewhere only saw full-screen 2 packs at his Wal-Mart as well

I think the 300 2-packs with Alexander were also only full-screen, but I'm not sure as I didn't care about that too much. If they really are only releasing their exclusives full-screen it's totally just to move that stock, there's no way it's due to popularity. Only people with 13 inch televisions buy full-screen, otherwise the majority prefer WS

And Dark Magnus I agree for the most part, but unfortunately for now the Wal-Mart bonus disc with Hot Fuzz is the only US version with all of the extra features, and has material the UK 2-disc doesn't have.

At the end of the day, boohoo I don't get to see whatever silly extra crap because I refuse to buy a Full-Screen version, but it'd still be nice to be able to get it in WS if I want, that stuff is really a large part of the allure of DVD to me anyway, and a lot of others I imagine.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

hey, when i had my 13" TV, i still only bought WS....

7. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

That sucks man, maybe for Walmart most of their customers only have full screen tvs so they think theres more picture being displayed with the full screen image vs the wide screen image.

But I haven't purchased a full screen dvd since, shit I don't think I have purchased a full screen dvd but I also have 2 HDtvs in my house.

8. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Haha OmegaScourge that's cool, I'm just saying I imagine only people with the small scale TVs would want FS anyway, otherwise I guess the only ones buying those are just people that don't understand how much of the frame is cut off and how retarded the pan and scan shit they do is, but as stated, it's obvious those versions really don't sell well anyway, most likely why this FS only 2-pack thing is going on.

If it really is, I still don't know without doubt that no WS versions of that set are coming or not.

Oh well, I'm sure a 2 disc special edition with all that crap on it will come out eventually.

9. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

I was pissed off as I stocked the new releases.

I get Widescreen these days. Atleast I snagged the 300 SE.

10. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Wal-Mart employee?

11. Doctor Doom

Yep, the Overnight Electronics Associate. The only one that can tell mangement to take a flying fuck on anything that deals with my department.

12. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Crap this sucks, I want the extras but no way in hell I'm getting stuck with a FS edition of the film

Thanks for the replies everyone, at least I know I wasn't insane for thinking the guy was just spreading BS

13. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

FUCK! I was so happy to hear that the 2 pack had the bonus features missing from the regular release, only to find out it's Full-screen only? Fuck that shit! Hell, my Wal-Mart didn't even have ANY Widescreen on the shelves. :( 

14. Doctor Doom

When a movie goes from the new release to main line (aka the usual spots) it often loses the Widescreen version unless its a Special Edition (99% of the time any Special Editions are Widescreen or have a fullscreen option). Sometimes i get angry customers and they piss and moan about it until I suggest hitting Wal-mart.com or any other online movie retailer. Then they shut up and let me get back to work.

This is common in many stores since not all customers have Widescreen televisions. Many movie companies are favoring Widescreen over Fullscreen these days, mostly Fox and Sony from what I can tell when I get the New Releases put out. Hell, I still need to get a Widescreen copy of SW Ep 2 since my collection of SW Movies is all Widescreen.

If ya have a Sams Club in the area and have a friend thats a member have a quick look. Sometimes exclusives are broken between Walmarts and Sams Clubs, but I cant say if they made one for the Widescreen version :( 

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I can't believe that they are still selling that shit in some parts of the world, Pan and Scam discs are pretty much extinct here and you probably couldent buy a 4x3 TV over 21" if you wanted to.

Not that i'd encourage dishonest behaviour or anything, but maybe you could get away with buying the P+S 2-disc and a proper widescreen single so you can then return the single box with the P+S disc from the 2 disc set for a refund.

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

All US releases of new films are available in WS format. Many, but not all, are also available in full frame. I tend to have a harder time finding WS in Wally World, but that's because they sell out more quickly. Whether this is due to greater demand or lower production runs I can't say.

Seeing how WS TV's are pretty much standard now, and soon we'll be switching over to all HD broadcasting, FS releases wil continue to become less important.

17. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I wish they'de quit making 4x3 pan & scan dvds altogether.

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Ugh, I want this also, but I can't find a cheap version on sale anywheres. And Fuck Fullscreen.

19. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Pfft. Well, I ain't gonna waste my time going to WM then, bonus disc or not. Some DVDs (particularly SEs and such) don't even get a FS release, or they're at least hard to come by. I don't think I've bought FS anything in over a decade as before the move to DVD, there was an increasing number of widescreen VHS releases. Never looked back.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well, that sucks. You would think that rather than enticing customers to buy the crap fullscreen version, they would just produce fewer of them, or order fewer of them. Now they gotta try and screw everyone who wants extras with the widescreen version.

Seriously, I don't know anyone who buys Fullscreen discs unless the movie,tv show, etc is not available in Widescreen (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc). The last movie movie I bought in Full Screen was the theatrical cut of Anchorman, because (Surprise!) they somehow didnt offer that in Widescreen. Hmm.. Kinda the same situation there, only in reverse from the current outrage. :p