Hospital comraderie and how toys helped a little boy...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Silnobot Charge, May 1, 2008.

1. Silnobot Charge

Silnobot Charge New Member

Hi there.

This is my first post on TFW 2005, so I wanted to make it important. If anyone here is also on HISStank, you already know the story, but I will repost it here;

"As some of you know, I had (thank God for past tenses) cancer, and because of which, I was in the hospital with nothing to do but play video games, watch tv, and visit HISStank with a laptop. While I was there, I met a 6-year-old boy named Mark (he liked it when I called him Marrky).

Marky has leukemia.

He was pretty quiet, and I did my best to befriend him. I love kids (growing up, my mom was a daycare provider, and now I'm going to college to be a teacher), so I felt bad that this little guy would be in such bad straights. He got to talking here and there, but he wasn't very open. Understandable, considering his condition.

But one day, something happened to lift Marky's spirits; He came to visit me, and I just happened to be reading some GI Joe comics (GI Joe vs Transformers by DD, I believe), and when he saw the pictures, he asked about them. I told him about it, the characters like Snake Eyes, Hawk, Duke, Roadblock, Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow, Destro and others. Soon I was showing Marky all sorts of GI Joe comics, and when my gf brought me a comic pack (21, comic colors) and an Armored CC she had found, Marky was HOOKED.

At first he asked me why I played with toys at my age (22, btw), and I told him that as I got older, I liked to by them make them look cool, and then put them up. Well, Marky thought that was silly, but he loved playing with the Armored CC, SE and SS.

Me and Marky bonded over GI Joe, and I got him some toys of his own (thanks, in part, to my gf and parents for doing the legwork). He had a ball. He thought Snake Eyes looked cool, but asked why he wears weird sunglasses, laughed when I called Destro "doorknob head", and asked why Gung Ho didn't wear a shirt, it gets cold outside.

Well, Armored CC and Snake Eyes (V2) were his favorite, so I decided to do something special. I ended up giving Marky an original Armored CC and an old SE V3 (the re-release TRU had done a while back). He was amazed we had toys like that "when old people" like me were kids.

Well, his parents loved me for all of this, and got something for me. I had told them I was looking for a couple of figs online (Spy Troops Barrel Roll, SE V4, blue Night Creeper) when I was showing Marky what I was looking for on e-bay, and I don't now how, but withing a couple of weeks, his parents had procured them all. Seriously, I told them no, but they said that they wanted to thank me for being Marky's friend.

The point of all of this is this:

GI Joe, while not technically having done anything, helped me make a friend, and I like to think helped a little boy.

I was released from the hospital, but I still go to visit Marky everyday, and I try to always bring him something, from VvV figures from Dollar General to single pack figures and comic packs figures to just new guns and swords for his guys to have. And I'll tell you what, the nurses at our hospital have started calling Marky "Joey". He doesn't seem to mind."

Now, this was the original post, so I should mention that not too long ago, the leukemia went into remission and Marky has gone home.

However, the reason I am posting this on this website is to asky you all this;

I'm going to try to introduce Marky to Transformers. Which series would you recommend? I have all of Beast Wars and Beast Machines on DVD, as well as the movie, so I'll start there. Anyone have any ideas what should be next?

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Yeah. I saw armored cobra commander the other day. I can honestly say if I was a kid and that was my first gi joe toy I'd get hooked on it as well.

The only joe I actually have is valor vs. venom firefly. I gave him a cape from a zyber 9 figure: Ikira.

3. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I have no ideas, but I just wanted to say that that is a lovely story. It's always great to hear things like this and I am very glad that you are both on the road to recovery :) ...

4. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Beast Wars is great...(Beast Machines you may want to pass on...jmho)...

I would think go on to Animated next...it's the most current and probably more suited for a six year old than BW...and plus all the new toys will be on shelves soon...

PS...I think the first DVD of Animated is due out soon as well...

5. dougzx9

dougzx9 Wish I were here

Great story, glad to hear that the two of you aare doing well. As for another line of Transformers, just about everyone here is going to say Animated. It's a new series out right now on Saturday mornings. But you can't go wrong with G1 the original series. Keep in good health and cherish every day that you have, there will be many of them.

6. countingpulses

countingpulses Member

That was a nice story to read about your experiences and forming a new friendship. If you're going to introduce Transformers, might as well start with G1, because children these days will have a laugh over how "lame" and "stupid" the animation and catch phrases the characters said on the original TV series were, when you compare to what cartoons are nowadays.

7. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say animated myself as well... as for the toys, that should be hitting the store shelves soon. If you need to get your hands on some quick, there might be someone on here that could help you out with some of them from Botcon.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very nice story. I would start with beast wars, it's a good series and you don't have to know a lot of stuff going into it (if anything really). I'd also go with animated, it's really a fun series thus far and the toys will be out soon enough.

9. Silnobot Charge

Silnobot Charge New Member

I thought Animated would be the route to go after the BW/BM series. I forgot all about Animated. Personally, I have yet to see it. How is it?

10. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Of course that's a matter of opinion, it's all about who you ask. I personally like the new animated series more than I've liked any TF series since G1. But there are some who think it's terrible.

I'd recommend it for you and Marky, but honestly you're going to be the best judge of that. You should watch an episode or two by yourself first and decide if you and/or Marky would like it. Even if you decide you hate the new show you might think it's perfect to introduce Marky to the characters. :2c: 

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  11. defstar

defstar Autobot...

The story isn't as deep as BW but still interesting...the style is for the younger viewers but it's based off of A LOT of G1'ness making it amusing for the vets as well...

"Fantransformers" has most all the episodes on youtube that you can watch...

12. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Good story dude. I think Animated is probably more suitable for a 6 year old than the Beast era.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cybertron and Animated are due to be on DVD this summer.

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Definately go for Animated. It's the current line, so the shows are all new and running now. It's a bummer (especially in this case) that the toys won't be out nationwide for another month or so.

After that, Beast Wars is good. It was a kid's show that played to adults too, while BM is kind of the opposite.

15. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    First of all, that's a fantastic thing you did. You'd be surprized how people won't even be nice to kids these days. I'd just like to commend you on being such a nice and compassionate person, because it seems to be more and more rare these days. And it seems that your concern is genuine, which is even more rare. Thank you for being one of the people that redeems humanity, I swear sometimes I think the whole world is just full of @$$#oles.

Secondly, i would introduce him to Animated and G1. I know a lot of my little cousins really enjoy G1, it's so random, and I don't know why, but 80s cartoons seem to just reel in the young male mind. All the random gun battles, Optimus Prime...

I think those 2 series are great for the kid. Beast Wars may be worth a watch too, although sometimes I think that show is too complex for really little kids. G1 has TONS of action.

16. sixshot2K

sixshot2K Soundwave is #1!