2D Artwork: Horrorcons

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by laserbeak_eject, Dec 20, 2010.

1. laserbeak_eject

laserbeak_eject Fan-artist

The Horrocons. Their name alone is enough to strike fear into the processor of even the most battle hardened of Autobots. Functioning as part of Megatrons elite special forces, they are well known for their terrorist raids into lightly defended Autobot sectors of Cybertron, roaring into combat in their jet forms, before transforming into their respective Beast modes and wreaking chaos and destruction on a 'horrifying' scale. Such tactics are not utilised by the Horrocons out of cowardice however, for any who have witnessed either on the field of battle are heard to speak ruefully of their strength in face to face combat - the sheer, nightmarish ferocity of Snapdragons teeth and claws ripping entire squads of Autobot soldiers to shreds, and Apefaces monumental strength as he slams and smashes his way through even the biggest, strongest foes who foolishly choose to engage him...

Snapdragon
    A bizarre specimen, Snapdragon possesses possibly the most imbalanced personality witnessed in any Cybertronian. In his Robot mode, he is marked out by his severe lethargy and laziness, manifesting itself physically in the layers of grime and filth that permeate his form, along with his many victims spurting vital fluids never cleaned from his armour plating - though most would baulk at such appalling lack of hygiene, Snapdragon considers the horrific stench of death that follows him wherever he goes to be a glorious testament to his prowess as a warrior and killer. In total contrast is his Beast mode, which rears its ugly head whenever his hair trigger temper 'snaps', transforming him into a 'Primordian Carnosaur' driven by a frothing, murderous fury so out of control that he cannot always differentiate between friend or foe, unable to stop killing even once victory is seized, and often his partner in crime Apeface is forced to physically restrain him in order to prevent Snapdragons violent rampages being turned upon the Decepticons.

Apeface
    None would ever suspect it, but Apeface is the brains behind the Horrocons operations. Like his partner in crime, he is likewise possessed of a bipolar personality, however, whereas Snapdragons two minds are personified by his laziness and violent psychosis, Apeface is noted for for the ironic combination of his cruel, calculating intelligence in robot and jet modes, and his vulgar obnoxiousness and utter stupidity when in his 'Black Mountain Kongar' form. Being well aware of this most curious mental contradiction, Apeface is always sure to prepare the Horrocons battle tactics with a precise meticulousness much alike to Combaticon leader Onslaught, and carefully planning when to best utilise his Beast modes monstrous physical power where its inherent stupidity wont jeopardise the mission. He also prides himself on (accidentally) discovering a way to best deploy Snapdragon, when on one occasion his Beast form thought it would be 'funny' to hurl his associate THROUGH the wall of an Autobot compound - the resultant pain inflicted upon Snapdragon caused him to involuntarily transform and tear apart the entire garrison stationed inside...

This is a project I've been working on with the help of scorpio-prime

These are the first sketches. I'm going for a sort of "classics meets WfC"-look sprinckled with a dash of G1 goodness combined with my own style.

The profiles (written by scorpio-prime) are used to support the characters and acts as small descriptions of why they look and act the way they do.

Decepticon/Horrorcon emblem
    pic 1: Apeface beast mode torso.
    pic2: Some Snapdragon ideas; 1
    pic:3 Some Snapdragon ideas; 2

more will come but for now; C&C please!

UPDATE 1: Quick Apeface sketch.
    laserbeak_eject & scorpio-prime

Attached Files:

2. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Excellent job so far bud, I'm loving the way Snapdragon is developing, I really get a sense of movement from your diagrams :) 

3. laserbeak_eject

Apeface sketch

[​IMG]

A very quick sketch of Apeface I've made for this project (that have been in hibernation over the winter).

C&C is valued highly.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like where this is going. The chunkiness of the Apeface sketch is really fitting. You've got some great design work going on here!

I hope we can see some tighter linework from this soon :) 

5. laserbeak_eject

No worries about that, I've been caught up doing some head designs the last two hours and hopefully I'll get just enough satisfied to post one. :p 

6. scorpio-prime

Excellent job thus far Laserbeak, I'm really getting a sense of hulking menace from that gorilla mode, he looks like he could take down a gestalt with all that power!

Can't wait to see the coloured version :) 

7. laserbeak_eject

Yeah, I bet he could kick movie-verse Devastator in the "junk" and be done with him.

Still working on the details on the transformation thou, since I'm kinda' working from the G1-toys schematics. But most definitely he'll become some sort of Cybertronian bomber, making Snapdragon a much sleeker fighter-jet.

8. scorpio-prime

Looking at the gorilla, if you're going for a G1-esque transformation then I'm guessing the arms will become the turbines/thrusters, the legs the undercarriage, the cockpit will fold down over the gorilla head and the wings flip out from his back? So I take it robot mode is basically gonna be gorilla mode flipped upside down?

9. laserbeak_eject

Basically, but since I'm also getting inspiration from War for Cybertron and the movies (as i hope you can see) I'm allowing myself some freedom with the transformation, hidden parts and such. For instance I've been trying to come up with a design where the arms and legs fold in and out for the different modes as well.

10. scorpio-prime

Well you COULD have those gorilla arms flip behind his back (forming a huge jetpack), and a smaller pair of arms flip out for the robot mode? See those blocky parts you've used as his collar - well those can be folded out 90 degrees to become his robot mode shoulders, and the rest of his arms run down the sides of the gorilla torso, then the forearms link at the waist to form the gorilla stomach - can you see what I'm seeing here? Then the legs could lengthen (Beast Wars Optimus Primal style) and the robot head switch with the gorilla to complete the transformation?

11. laserbeak_eject

Yeah I understand, sounds like somewhat of a plan, even thou I'm no fan of jetpacks ;) 

12. scorpio-prime

I don't like back kibble either, but at least with those big-ass exposed turbines it will LOOK like a legit piece of equipment capable of granting the robot flight, rather than an awkward mass with nowhere else to go. Alternatives would be to make the gorilla arms his robot legs, but their shoulder breadth means that would look seriously effeminate, or they could double as the robot arms, and that would destroy the individuality of each mode - part of Apefaces appeal is how he transforms from a fairly middle of the road robot into a massive hulking powerhouse.

13. scorpio-prime

Hows this?

[​IMG]

14. laserbeak_eject

Haha! I really like that! I'm gonna work around that! Good work Scorpio!

15. scorpio-prime

Glad to hear it bud - I was actually really pleased with how well the robot mode turned out, but you've gotta do something about the crappy head I just slapped on him, aswell as that tiny stabilising fin I added to the back of the jet to make it more interesting. I'm no artist, so my ability to greeble designs and make them more aesthetic is lacking.