Horror movie fans, i call on your help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheeljaxx, Aug 29, 2008.

1. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

trying to get a halloween party organised and would like to have some horror movies on tap to play as background noise and then maybe watch at another party ( yes, halloween is HUGE at my place and we have many parties)

i've got a few classics, but i'm tired of them, and so is everyone else. what i want are some good creepy, campy B movie type stuff.

1)Were creature type movies, movies where people mutate, or transform into something, creatures, demons, inanimate objects, whatever.

2) Vampire movies. not your typical dracula vs. vampire slayer type movie. i want some where there is total carnage and maybe the vampires win.

3) zombies. brains, zombies, gore.!! nuf said

what i'm looking for are some suggestions.

thanx in advance.

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The original The Howling is still pretty much the best werewolf movie ever made. Just stay away from the dreck that passes as its sequels. Ginger Snaps (might be one word, not sure) isn't bad, either. I can't vouch for the sequel, or the prequel. Of course, there's always the classic An American Werewolf in London. Silver Bullet's not bad, either. Plus, it has Gary Bussey, and a hot rod wheelchair.

I despise the modern "I'm too sexy for my fangs" image of vampires. As such, I think 30 Days of Night is a great vampire movie. I also liked that the decapitations weren't clean. You just can't take a person's head off, in a single swing. Besides, where else are you going to see somebody use a ditch witch as a weapon against bloodsuckers?

I'm not a fan of zombie movies, so I can't really suggest anything there. I did like the ending for the remake of Night of the Living Dead.

I FORGOT! If you haven't seen it, check out In the Mouth of Madness. The FX are a bit low budget, but the script is pretty solid. It was an attempt at a Lovecraft style story, and does a pretty decent job at it. Even got a few bizarely transformed people in it.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

1) Dog soldiers. Great werewolf movie.

2) 30 Days and Nights. This is seconded with a big S, E, C, O, N, D, E and D.

I hope this helps.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Werewolves/changing into things:
    An American Werewolf In London
    Dog Soldiers
    The Howling
    The Thing
    Vampires:
    30 Days of Night
    Zombies:
    Wicked Little Things (zombie kids)
    Outpost (zombie nazis)

Other reccomended horror movies:
    [REC]
    Prince of Darkness
    The Devil Rides Out (I would imagine you've already seen this. If not, shame on you)
    Frontieres
    The Signal

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really into movies of the supernatural. I'm not that much into vampires, werewolves, zombies and slasher movies.

But check out..

The Grave Dancers.
    Crazy Eights
    Feverlake
    Ghost Story
    House of Voices (English Version)
    Death Tunnel
    American Haunting
    The Changling
    Evil Remains
    The Haunting (1964)
    Darkness Falls
    Ghost Ship
    13th Child
    Prince of Darkness
    The Fog (1979)
    Boogeyman
    The Messengers
    The Ninth Gate.

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Check out Near Dark. Not sure if it will suit your needs but it is one of my favorite vampire movies. No fangs or transformations just murder and blood drinking.

7. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Dead Alive.

Though it's more funny then scary.

8. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Night of the Demons :D 

The Fog is a favorite of mine, as well as The Thing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  9. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

Phantasm phantasm phantasm

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Return of the Living Dead - its where we get the everpopular "BRAAAINNSS"

11. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Being a diehard fan of the genre, I review every horror movie I watch, both good and bad, and post it at my website: PelleCreepy. Got over a hundred reviews, so far.

While my all-time favorite movie is "Ghostbusters" (duh), my favorite horror movie is without a doubt "In the Mouth of Madness". It's the best H.P. Lovecraft-inspired film ever made and the last good film of John Carpenter's career. I'd highly recommend that one.

As for background noise for a party, or just good old fashioned beer n' pizza entertainment, I'd go with the following:

"The Return of the Living Dead" (funny, great zombie effects, self-aware and better for it)
    "Phantasm II" (a better party movie than the first one, as it ups the action quite a bit and, dude, a quadruple-barrel shotgun. Beat that.)
    "The Beyond" (the second part of Lucio Fulci's "Seven Doors of Death" trilogy and best of the series)
    "Demons" (Dude on a motorcycle with a katana chopping up zombies/demons in a movie theater. Hell yes.)
    "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" (the title is all the description you need)
    "The Funhouse" (horny teenagers decide to spend the night at a carnival funhouse and get killed by a deformed carny. The fat, laughing robot is awesome)
    "Dolls" (one of the best killer toy movies ever made)
    "The Toxic Avenger" (if you don't laugh your ass off its because you're dead inside)
    "Tourist Trap" (creepy screaming mannequins should do the trick)
    "Alligator" (an awesome giant-killer-animal movie made before the Sci-Fi Channel killed the subgenre)
    "Night of the Demons" (so bad you can have fun insulting it)

Honestly, I could do this all week.

Keep in mind, these are just ones I think would be good in a group setting. I mean, "Jacob's Ladder" is a fantastic horror/suspense movie, but it would probably bore a group of rowdy drunken friends who just want to horse around and not pay attention.

12. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

cool. thanx guys, i'll get right on dow...umm... get to finding those... um, in a store....

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Undead- a great campy and original zombie party movie.

Innocent Blood- one of my favorite vampire movies.

Slither...

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    We like killer sentient vehicles around here, right? Throw Maximum Overdrive in there, change it up a bit.

15. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Night of The Demons" is pretty good. I have the first and second movie, but I could'nt get the third one. I was told it is not available on dvd and vhs.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Return of the Living Dead- Total camp, total zombies. (Even Midget zombies)

17. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

Another one for Return of the Living Dead, Dead Alive, Night of the Demons here, and I'll add Shaun of the Dead. Phantasm 2 doesn't exist on DVD yet, and neither does Night of the Creeps, otherwise I'd recommend those too. Slither could take the place of Night of the Creeps actually, and Return of the Living Dead 2, while not a great movie, would be good for playing in the background. The Night of the Living Dead 1990 remake is good, and has creepy music. For something more modern you can all watch later, I suggest Hatchet or Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. I can go on and on and on, but I best stop here...oh wait, I just saw a screening of Dance of the Dead (not the Masters of Horror one from 2005, but a new one that comes out on dvd on October 14th) at the Horrorhound convention that was pretty badass and definetly a crowd pleaser.

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    critters, evil dead, the host, texas chainsaw massacre.

Planet Terror is all kinds of awesome.

19. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They consider movies like SAW, Hostel and Black Christmas horror movies. I don't consider those kind of movies and others like them horror. I call them slasher movies. There is nothing supernatural about them.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Horror movies don't have to have supernatural elements to them. Personally, I still consider Psycho to be one of the greatest horror movies ever made.