Hoplophobia costs a man his life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Cops gun down man for legally carrying firearm

Bolded for emphasis. Regardless of how you feel about guns, this is no way to react just because someone is carrying one. The escalating fear could be avoided if people would stop painting guns as "evil". Inanimate objects can be neither good or evil. It's only the people who use them that can be. Same with money, or a kitchen knife. The cover up that followed is even worse. What ever happened to justice? Why not admit it was what it was?

2. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    What has this world become... :cry 

3. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    this is a perfect example of why I dont trust police

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

i hope his girlfirend sues them up the ass

5. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    According to the story, his family did. But they gave up when they could tell the cards were stacked against them. If the police force was willing to raid his place, steal a gun, plant it at the site and take pictures, then there's little doubt the courts wouldn't also be willing to continue the cover up.

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a 2 year old story, does anyone know if this was resolved?

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Well, the event was 2 years ago. This story is fairly recent. I do believe this IS the update. The man was gunned down, the evidence shows the Costco employees and the police over-reacted, but the law covered it all up. End of story.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Great, now if you could just come up with a convenient way for us to tell if a person is good or bad just by looking at them. Then everyone could carry guns and we'd never have to worry about it. Let me know when you work that out.

Do you need to carry a gun at Costco? lol no. Smart & Final, maybe, but not Costco. Then the employee tells the guy they have a policy against guns in the store. THAT SHOULD END IT. The store is private property and Costco should have the right to decide if they want guns there or not.

Then the guy starts arguing with the store employee. Great. That's just what you want. A guy with a gun who's going to start yelling and arguing.

Should the guy have been shot? Hell no. Should the shooter be prosecuted? Hell yes. But how about not bringing guns to Costco? :rolleyes:  I love how the article talks about "peacefully armed". How is anyone supposed to know that? Anyone can be "peacefully armed" right up until the second they go all Columbine on people.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Terrible story, for sure. But the loaded article conveniently 'forgets' that this situation could have been avoided if he had simply followed Costco's policy. As a legal, permit holding carrier of a firearm, he should have known better and simply complied with the store's original request. He would be alive and this wouldn't be an issue.

10. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    You're forgetting one thing. The bad guys will get guns even if they are illegal. At least by some good people having them, there would be someone there to stop the bad people when they pull theirs.

I also agree he should have followed their policy, but notice this quote from the article.

THAT should have been the end of it. If the manager is satisfied, no further action should have been taken.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    written by a gun rights activist; no i dont see any bias here. Really what started the whole thing was Scott arguing with someone at the store that he was not going to follow their store policy

12. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's the theory. Frankly, I'm unconvinced that more guns would serve any more than to turn these situations into western shoot outs with lots of collateral damage.

It's a tough situation either way, though. How do you ensure accountability for the professionals who are supposed to protect you?

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This is the argument of a 12 year-old. The "bad guys"? Seriously?

How many times have you gotten into the shit in COSTCO? Where the bullets were flying, you were ducking for cover behind the produce section and you thought, "Holy shit, if only I had my gun right now." Do you really have to be prepared to defend your freedom against the terrorists in COSTCO?

Was I saying the guy shouldn't own a gun? NO. Was I saying he shouldn't be allowed to carry a firearm as he is licensed to do? NO. He should be allowed to own guns and he should be allowed to lawfully carry. But his rights are NOT being infringed on when someone tells him he is not welcome to carry a firearm on private property. It's the exact same way they can kick you out of the store for not wearing a shirt. Or for bringing in a dog. Just because you like guns doesn't mean he gets to trample over everyone else's rights. The store has rules and if that's one of them, then that's it.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In large retail environments, LP managers work independently from Store Management. They have a completely different set of rules and obligations.

15. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

The point is to be prepared everywhere because the Police can't be everywhere. Terrorists aren't the only ones who carry illegal guns. My brother was shot this year by a man carrying an illegal gun at a bowling alley. People will carry illegal weapons wherever they want because they don't care what store policy or the law says.

Chuck

16. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

When I first saw this thread, I thought the title said "Homophobia".

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No offense, but so what? What does that have to do with anything? Criminals break the laws, so EVERYONE should be able to do whatever they want at all times? That is simple-minded anarchy.

When you own property, you should be able to decide what goes down there. You should be allowed to make the rules for what happens on your property, without outsiders coming in and overruling you. It's your property.

I don't let people smoke in my house. Hell, I didn't even smoke in here back when I used to smoke. So I wouldn't appreciate it if someone came in here smoking and telling me, "No, I have to be able to smoke at any time, and fuck your rules." If someone wants to smoke that badly, they are free to go somewhere else.

18. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

For bonus irony, follow the link and have a look at the site he sourced this from.

19. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    That actually explains quite a bit.

20. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Regardless of whether he had a concealed weapons permit, the store had a no firearms policy and he should have complied with it. Just like a company can prohibit smoking in their store, they have a right to say you can't bring a gun in their store.

Exactly.

That aside, it's clear that the police acted recklessly and stormed the place before they knew what the situation really was. They screwed up, and they should face the consequences. Since this guy was ex-military, maybe the family could ask the VA to do something.