Hopefully they can now feature vintage cars

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Oct 6, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I've been hoping they'd use cars of an older, classier make within these films or create a custom vehicle to feature. So far, they used an old Peterbilt for Optimus (great), built a Hummer for Ratchet (great) and used an 70s Camaro for Bumblebee (and also used a tank prop for Brawl), but the rest of the Auto-botmobiles have been the latest and the most popular.

I think I get the point of using new cars, because it's the new that holds fresh appeal and that brings in the masses. But wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to purchase cars from their owners and personalize them to use in the film, rather than to have to go through royalties/rights issues with car companies?

And besides, old cars are just badass. Look at GB's Ecto-1:
    Category:Ecto-1 - Wikimedia Commons
    Ecto-1 - Ghostbusters Wiki - "The Compendium of Ghostbusting"
    Ecto-1a - Ghostbusters Wiki - "The Compendium of Ghostbusting"

It's a freaking Cadillac, that's got way more awesomeness than the Solstice, Corvette or Ferrari. I mean if MBay is as much a car buff as he says he is he should know to cast old badass cars instead of new ones for Autobots/Decepticons. I can actually see Ecto-1 above as being suitable for Red Alert or Wheeljack.

Anyway, I hope MBay can start casting distinct vintage cars in TF4, and give them as much prominence as the new ones get. Maybe he wasn't able to before, but with these films established as a solid cash cow he can now cast whichever vehicles for whoever Transformers, regardless of their age.

2. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

would be nice to see older cars in the tf movies im tired of looking at the ugly new cars that have no style or class

3. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the reason that there is so many newer cars in the movies is product placement, the car companies pay the movie producers to turn the movie into an ad, simple as that, the companies don't make any money if the producers use out of date car models.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Not necessarily the case. Purchasing an older model car from a collector and/or customizing it could just as easily be just as time-consuming and costly as getting a newer model.

Agreed. The Ecto-1 is so sweet. It's like an old-school Ratchet.

Entirely subjective. Michael Bay may or may not see it the same way you or I do, and in the end, it's his decision. He claims to be a car buff, but he is still entitled to his opinions. If I think the Velociraptor is more BA than a Tyrannosaurus rex (I don't, by the way), does that make me any less of a dinosaur buff? No. It makes me a dinosaur buff with my own opinion. Just like Bay is a car buff with his own opinions. He "knows" what he wants and he "knows" what is the best overall decision when it comes to balancing the multiple aspects that are character design, budget, time and manpower, Hasbro's influence, the car company's influence and so on and so forth and has to decide what is the best overall decision - one that we may or may not agree with.

Remember, folks, even a simple decision like "what vehicle should character X transform into?" isn't something that can be determined in five seconds. There can be entire meetings based on that decision because multiple parties all have their say in it.

I certainly hope so too. In my opinion, a 1970's Dodge Charger is just screaming to be in a Bayformers movie.

"would be nice to see more new cars in the tf movies i don't want to look at the ugly old cars that have no style or class" - someone with a differing opinion

Keep in mind that for every opinion out there, there is an equal and completely opposite opinion. :)  Some people hate modern cars, some people hate older style cars. As I said before, in the end, it's not our decision, it's Bay's.

Again, not necessarily true. Promoting old models could just as easily promote their company as newer models. Suddenly collectors are more interested in vintage models, or suddenly audiences realize that older models can be cool too, or what have you. Exposure is exposure, regardless of model date.

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Let me guess: Cliff Jumper?

But I think I was harsh on MBay, looking at your post. Yes, the process of choosing a car mode isn't that simple; yes, he probably knows which car would fit a Transformer best be it the latest or a vintage automobile; yes, he must contend with the demands of not only the owners of the vehicle but of Hasbro too; but still, I wouldn't mind seeing older models make an appearance within the films.

6. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    im not really sure how much goes into him selecting cars as much as every car maker making bigger bids than the last to be put into the film, much like the way construction contractors bid on jobs only reverse

7. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I just want to see an Ecto-1 Transformer.

8. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I think it's out of Bay's hands. Going off of his other movies, he does have a great eye for good cars. Bay's just handcuffed by Dreamwork's deal with GM, having to use their cars.

That said, while I don't mind the vehicles that's been used so far, I definetly wouldn't mind some older 70s and 80s cars. A Challenger, a Charger, a Mini Cooper, a Beemer and a firebird would all be welcome adds in my book.

ANyone else think the cars in Dylan collection were decepticons in disguise watching over him?

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Having some classic American muscle cars just seems like such a perfect fit for the movies. A live action Transformers movie just kind of screams out for some cool car chases and stunt driving and some of the classic cars just fit that bill better than the modern cars.

If nothing else it would seem like some Autobot would have a love of cars that would make them pick one of the most iconic cars to ever hit the road instead of just what's going to be new in the show rooms next year.

I guess the potential problem is that most productions like to have more than one of the car so that if something happens like a dent then the production doesn't come to a halt as the car is being prepared. Slightly easier to find identical new cars than identical older classic cars down to exact same shade of paint.

10. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

Thing is, while having classic cars would be great, for a movie this size it's very hard to do, other than having them in cameo roles... Look at all the cars that get smashed in the movie, during all the EXPLOSIONS and MAHEM. Those cars are provided by GM, as part of their agreement with the production. It's not that Bay wants to have all the flashy cars, it's that the car companies kinda force him to so. Just look at Jolt...

So proly we'll have a few speciffic classic cars for specific roles, like Cliffjumper as a Charger, but other than that, flashy, new cars are the way to go if they want to save on budget...

Also, while having custom cars would be a way to save on money, it would not be practical for a movie that relies so much on stuff exploding. Having a custom car means you only get one or two, and you can't go around smashing them up like you would if a company was providing them. So, bottom line is, if bay wants random cars to smash, he'll have to put up with GM (or other companies) demands of promoting their flashy new models. Companies also know that MB started as a car commercial director (and a damn good one), so they know MB will make their cars look good. I guess in the end, everybody is a winner (well, except for classic cars entusiasts, of course ^^)

11. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

Thing is, while having classic cars would be great, for a movie this size it's very hard to do, other than having them in cameo roles... Look at all the cars that get smashed in the movie, during all the EXPLOSIONS and MAHEM. Those cars are provided by GM, as part of their agreement with the production. It's not that Bay wants to have all the flashy cars, it's that the car companies kinda force him to so. Just look at Jolt...

So proly we'll have a few speciffic classic cars for specific roles, like Cliffjumper as a Charger, but other than that, flashy, new cars are the way to go if they want to save on budget...

Also, while having custom cars would be a way to save on money, it would not be practical for a movie that relies so much on stuff exploding. Having a custom car means you only get one or two, and you can't go around smashing them up like you would if a company was providing them. So, bottom line is, if bay wants random cars to smash, he'll have to put up with GM (or other companies) demands of promoting their flashy new models. Companies also know that MB started as a car commercial director (and a damn good one), so they know MB will make their cars look good. I guess in the end, everybody is a winner (well, except for classic cars entusiasts, of course ^^)

12. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Kup plz :D 

13. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Yes. Some can stay like Prime's Peterbilt and Ratchet's rescue hummer, the others could maybe do with a vintage touch-up.

14. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

They've stated more than once the films just would not happen without a license deal. It would be too expensive to make custom cars for everyone. Nevermind the other cars for non transformers and scrap cars to be blown up.

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I love older muscle cars and I hope they use more of them in the future. I think they missed an opportunity with the Chevelle in DOTM. Assuming they still have to use GM vehicles, I would love to see them use a Pontiac GTO Judge.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Ford Model T please.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Ford XC Falcon coupe (hardtop) in Cobra trim, kthnxbi.