Hooking up a controller to a PC - How does?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SPLIT LIP, May 11, 2012.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    So I got this Logitech controller to hook up to my laptop to make playing FPS easier. Problem is it doesn't work. Well, that's not true, it works when I test it, but the game refuses to acknowledge it. I ran a full setup and everything. (trying to play TF with it) I've tried both settings on the controller and both modes, and nothing.

Am I missing something obvious?

2. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    My memory is kind of fuzzy on the subject so take this at what it is - but some games just don't work with controllers. Maybe the game is hard coded to the keyboard/mouse?

If you are referring to TF: War For Cybertron this is not the case. I used my wired Xbox 360 controller to play it on PC.

Depending on the game engine, it may also have a console where the joy stick needs manually enabled.

Sorry I'm not more help than that.

3. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Sorry, I meant Team Fortress 2. I figured it would work with a controller.

That sucks if it just won't. I can't do keyboard and mouse. It's so unatural and counter-intuative.

4. s10blazed

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I have Team Fortess 2 tied to my Steam account. I will check and see if it works with my Xbox controller tonight sometime. At least that way you can get a second opinion.

15 years ago I wouldn't play a game without a keyboard and mouse. Now I'm with you... give me a controller. I guess this is a sign of my age?

5. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    You can use a program like xpadder to trick the game into accepting the gamepad.

6. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    not sure about TF2, but if the game doesn't accept gamepad as a controller method, this is what you're going to have to do to get your pad to work with it.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Point and shoot is counter-intuitive?

I dunno, I barely play shooters. The only one I played extensively was Borderlands, on the PS3. And a significant portion of my gaming is on my PS3, with most having some camera-look feature.

And yet, it'll always take me a second or two to re-acquaint myself with the feel of the camera system, and of course, games all have their own interpretations of camera sensitivity and such, so even if I've gotten the hang of it in one game, it'll take me awhile to adjust to the next.

For PC games with mouse-look, it's generally just pick up and play for me, despite how rarely I ever play, and accuracy's infinitely better.

8. s10blazed

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    From the Gamespot forums: type in "exec 360controller" in the console, enter.

The PC game has native Xbox 360 controller support. No mention if that works for other controllers though.

As mentioned, xpadder seems to be something to try.

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Not really. That part makes sense. It's moving and weapon select and stuff that gets me.

10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I suppose getting yourself used to WASD controls might take some time. But everything you need should be within easy reach of your left hand. Usually some variation of Q/E for weapon switching (and maybe number keys for hot-swapping), R for reload, shift or space for some secondary abilities.

More than anything, the real trick with WASD keys is that your hand's positioned off the indexed "F" key, so if you move out of position, you might not realize it initially. Although your hand should rest over Shift, ASD, and Space quite comfortably.

11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    It's not an issue with where my hand is, it's that the idea of using buttons with my fingers to move is off. I'm just so used to my thumb causing movement. I'm severly right-handed. Having the bulk of the duties shoveled off to my left hand is just wrong for me.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Makes sense, I guess.

Can't say I've ever had that problem, though, despite my left hand not being worth a crap for anything else. It's still the right hand doing all the precision stuff.

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    It's worth pointing out I just started PC gaming, like, a week ago after playing a bit of Republic Commando on my laptop a few months prior.

I think it's because there's no middle ground with a button. It's either dead stop or full speed.