Honus Wagner baseball card sells for record $2.3 million

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Draven, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
  2. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    To re-iterate, some people have WAY too much money to spend... whether it's pieces of cardboard paper with sports athlete images or cheap plastic with decepticon logos - makes no difference, complete waste of money.

The only thing I can justify in this transaction is that there is some sort of investment in sports card memorabilia since Baseball collecting has endured for decades. Transformers is a fairly recent phenomenon and, consequently, interest (along with value) may dry up faster than most of us would like to admit...

So there you have it, I made another comment and I have no intention of shutting up, lol...

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I can see buying the Wagner card as an investment...

Just be sure and put it in a fire/water/hurricane/natural disaster/bullet/bomb/nuclear/theft proof case...

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Hold a press conference and eat it.

5. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

The Wagner card is revered by FAR more many fans, like myself, than the Stunticons though.

With that said, I had no idea it has accrued that much more value over the last 10-15 years or so.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    That is stupid....

I really don't understand why people pay so much for such a collectible.

Sure, the most I spent on a toy would be around 100 dollars, but in the long run, very minimal.

The price paid for a piece of cardboard could support my family for a life time.

7. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Why is it stupid? Cause one person enjoys this baseball card just to say he has it. Why is it stupid and not the fact you spent $100 on a toy built for a kid but for you. Its that guys/girls money and they can do whatever they want with it. Sure most of us could live years/decades off that 2.3 million dollars but to that guy, it probably wasn't (to him) more than a few hundred bucks. Chances are he's worth billions and that 2.3 million is a joke to him. Who knows.

I just don't see why people bash other people for collecting items they want. My friends mom always said you need to collect something, what it is is your choice. (As long as you aren't collecting human bodies or other illegal items, it should be okay)

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    This is something I fully intend to do when I am wealthy.

Seriously, when I get money, I expect you guys to hold me to this.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    It is stupid because it is an inconsequential piece of paper that has no value outside of a volatile, niche market.

It is stupid because 2.3 million dollars can buy a lot of things for people who need food more that this guy needs a Baseball card.

It is stupid because I don't have 2.3 million dollars to spend on what ever I want....oh wait. :redface2: 

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Man I have a bunch of old Baseball cards. My uncle have me bags full of late 50's, 60's and 70's. Found some Hank Aarons, Jim Palmers, list goes on.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Major League Baseball has been around for over 125 years. Honus Wagner was one of the first 5 inductees into the Hall of Fame. There are less than 60 of these cards in existence, of which this card may very well be the finest example. Ergo, this 'piece of paper' has FAR more 'value' than ANY 'piece of plastic' from the 80's.

12. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

that is insane, man i wish i had that kind of money

13. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly...people have given me grief over my TFs and my KISS collectibles but they have houses full of NASCAR crap. Same thing to me......

About this card, the only I would want that is to sell it again. I used to love baseball and card collecting but now, I would rather have the "pieces of plastic with 'Con symbols."

14. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

You got it. If I was loaded, and I am talking Bill Gates loaded, I would probably spend most of the day on eBay. Or, I would finance the Seascons release.

I had a dream once that I bought a Wii and smashed it infront of a line of people. I was chased.

15. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

I believe when the seller bought the card, it was at 1.35 mil or something like that. So the $1 million interest he earned in a few years was stupid?

Likewise, I'm sure in a few years, the current owner can sell it at a pretty lucrative interest rate himself.

16. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    "volatile, niche market"? You really think after 125 years the bottom's about to fall out of the baseball card market?

I still think spending five hundred bucks on a few grams of plastic is dumber. You hear me, japanese headmasters?

17. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

It's stupid to you. Don't get me wrong, I would spend that money on something else but you know what, if I had whatever billion dollars this guy has and I was serious about collecting baseball cards, I'd drop the 2.3 million for it. To him he might actually want to just say "I have that card" or maybe he's thinking financially "I could buy this card for 2.3 million, or buy real estate for 2.3 million or buy a car for 2.3 million." Maybe he analyzed all those situations and the baseball card was the most logical to him.

It does have value to people, whatever someone is willing to pay for it. And it looks like a few people were willing to pay over $2 million for it. Maybe in a few years it'll be worth more. Investments, buy & sell.

So the guy has money and maybe he worked his ass off for his money and he decided to spend the money on himself instead of other people. OMG he's terrible.

Completely agree. Some rich guys collect cars like they are hot wheels cars. Its their money, they worked for it, earned it, or inherited it, they can do with it as they please. Its that question from office space "What would you do it you had a million dollars?"

"Two chicks at the same time man."

18. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

based on previous jumps in the value, it's certainly not unreasonable for him to invest in it and resell the card later for huge interest. imo, this is as risk free as it gets, unless you are extremely clumsy.

19. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't spend it on some baseball card. I would buy a Picasso, or any great Art Masterpiece, travel around the world, help others less fortunate, oh yeah, and buy the Montreal Canadiens and make it a Stanley Cup winning team again.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...as far as someone who wants it is concerned. As far as anyone else is concerned, it's still just a "piece of paper". Exactly the same prinicple as the G2 Stunticons.