honey......i collect transformers.....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bumble Prime, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

ok this is something thats been on my mind and was just curious about other members experiences.....

how do people you are dating or trying to date find out about your collection?

not that im ashamed, not in the least. but it doesnt come up in casual conversation and i find myself clearing my dining room table of kit bash fodder and locking up my "vault" (my bedroom walk in closet that looks like stadium seating for transformers).

but with a collection as big as mine (its not that big as compared to others but its enough to shock and awe someone who has no idea what a transformer is) its kind of a big part of my life.

now my past two girlfriends kinda got in when it was only around 50....and they eased into it and even helped me build it. But now im up to like 300 and more. Most of em are in boxes because i moved recently, but i still have enough out of the boxes to make a statement (alternators gotta be transformed at least once every 3 months :)  )

but just curious as to what other members experiences were.....

anyone care to share?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I actually started re-collecting while I was dating someone. Started off by buying some stuff at a flea market here and there. Then I see a Fort Max while I am out with her. I said "Man I wish I could buy that". She said I should and I did. I was surprised at how supportive she was. Spending $375 on a toy isn't something you usually can get by a girlfriend.

Now, some 8 years later, she is now my wife and the most supportive person of my collecting.

3. DanLyons

DanLyons Little-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I met my wife on a blind date set up by a mutual friend. We were discussing how we would recognize each other and I offered to wear a bright yellow Hawaiian shirt that the mutual friend had gotten me. Since that shirt features the Wing Gundam in it's design I mentioned that I collect Transformers & other robots.

One story that my wife loves to retell is that, on our first date, we were wandering around Harvard Square in Cambridge MA chatting and passed an anime shop that I used to go to when I lived in the area. Since we had no fixed destination we went in - and discovered that they had reorganized the store so that the robots were in the back and the inappropriate anime girl statues were in front - the reverse of the way it was the last time I had been there. I felt obliged to mention that they were NOT the reason I was there - then found out that she hadn't even noticed them!

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I'm fairly fortunate. My fiance' collects Barbies. We shop together at times, and on holidays we get each other Barbie's and Transformer's.

This Christmas, I got her a Bob Mackie Barbie and she got me a Masterpiece Starscream. For our Anniversary, I bought her the Wizard of Oz Barbie set, and she bought me the second wave of Classic figures. We have been together for a year and a half, and we hipped each other to our hobbies on day one.

She doesn't get my kitbashing, but I don't get her plexi glass display cases. I guess I am blessed!!

5. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Well, my wife thinks that some of my Tformers are rather coolo, though others like G1 Doubledealer are ugly.

She supports me, though sometime tells me that I should buy more clothing.

She has given me at least 1 Alt and 2 Cyberron figures.

6. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I get a lot of different reactions. But it is mainly surprise. They don't expect me to be a toy collector. When a ladyfriend sees my displays, she goes "What? You collect toys? You? Aren't you a little too hot to be a geek? (yaaa, ok…)" I answer her "Well, it's part of who I am, and if you got a problem with that, why don't you just get the hell out of my house?" Then, she can't stop laughing for 10 minutes until I slap her ass and we move on to other business.

But seriously, they usually tell me they see it as something special, or out of the ordinary that's part of all the crazy stuff that makes me 'me'. But they still find TFs silly, nonetheless.

7. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

My last Ex-girlfriend was okay with it!! Use to score me some Extra points cause when she would bring her 5 year old daughter over, I'd let her play with some of my "Deluxe" Transformers ( Armada Hotshot & Smokescreen usually )!

For being 5, she took good care of them when she played with them!

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    its usually the first thing i bring up

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was tanked when I met my now-wife. It was at a housewarming party my roommates and I were having, and at one point, I guess I started talking about them. Then she asked me if I wanted to show her some of my toys. Somewhere, deep in my brain, I knew what she really meant, but when we got up to my room, I saw Energon Omega Supreme, who I'd just purchased, and realized I could split it in half and share. Even though I knew it was a bad idea, I couldn't help myself.

At some point, she set hers down, took mine away, and assumed control of the situation. The collecting hasn't been an issue since, and she even purchases most of my non-toy items for b-day and Crimmus presents (signed poster, signed comics, statues, etc.).

She'll even been headed to her (and my) second BotCon this summer.

10. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

yeah, most girls think its cute. cuz im pretty well balanced otherwise, have a job and pay my bills, go to school most of the time.

funny story i have about the last two gf's i had, they kinda ended up back to back and they would both buy me transformers when i was friends or transitioning to girlfriend or whatever. when i broke up with the first one (bad breakup) i threw away the ones she got me.....nemesis strika......(shoulda known about her right then and there)

then i eventually broke up with the other girl ( worst breakup in my life)......but kept hers she gave me.....cuz rid prime is a kick ass figure......

but its always fun when i meet a girl who kinda likes transformers, like this one girl i knew who is a closet dork like me. she said she wanted to go see the transformers movie when it came out. i played dumb and had her explain wht they were, but my friends were all there and couldnt stop laughing and she couldnt figure out why..... lol

11. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

My wife saw me first start collecting when we were engaged. Now it's grown considerably. She hasn't told me to stop, but I can still tell she doesn't think it's as cool as I do.

12. Optimal Optimus Prime

Optimal Optimus Prime The Ultimate Prime

Well I had a few transformers when my wife and I started going out, and little by little I got more transformers. We've been married for a couple of years now and she's still very supportive. So much so, yesterday I told her about the translucent Mirage and she told me to order one.

Just let her know its special to you.

13. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i started collecting while seeing my current girlfriend. at first there was a lot of eye-rolling and complaints about wasting my money, but she's growing to like them. in fact, it was HER who told me to buy Cybertron Primus when it was on sale.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my last girlfriend was a toy collector too. she wasnt into transformers at all, but really hardcore into gundam and japanese super-robots in general, even going so far as to build a "battalion" of 8 perfect grade Zaku IIs with Char's Zaku II leading them against a single perfect grade RX-78 Gundam. That one display had hundreds of hours invested in it, and over a thousand dollars.

She considered me a small-time fan in comparisson. I didnt disagree.

15. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

I used to sheepishly admit I have a collection of robots of display in my living room. Then I discovered no one really cared. Or they thought it was cool. I am no longer sheepish.

My girlfriend is fine with it but when the time comes we should move in together, they will no longer be welcome in the living room.

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I started my collection when my wife and I were dating. I would get a figure here and there that looked cool. Then they started the reissues and I had to have them. By the time this was going on were having our first kid.

We were married last october and I have started buying more(mostly online, and import stuff) than when we were dating. She tells me I kept my level of geeky obsesion hidden until it was too late :lol 

Overall she is supportive, I am the only one working and I make a good income because I have a bonus structure that is very rewarding so we don't struggle financially when I buy a bunch of toys. She has even made a few trips to walmart(which she hates) this week trying to find my the new alts and got my 20th anv Ops for x-mas.

17. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    My wife is very supportive.
    She's the one who bought my display case for me and my collection, before the case, they sat on shelves.
    She also will call me when shes out at a store to let me know what they have, and to check and see if I want any of them.
    For my birthday, she bought me four Alts of my choice.

I love my wife...

18. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

One of them wasn't cool with them. She looked around and said "Dan, you're 24" among other mean things. Needless to say, she hit the curb so hard she bounced. I think she quickly realized she was no prize herself, and tried to backpeddle a bit. No no no dear, the door's behind you.

The last one liked my TFs and other geeky things, but it didn't work out for various other reasons. And should I ever tread the relationship path again, I'll continue to be upfront about it. If she doesn't like them, she won't like me, so to hell with her.

19. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Mine said "you too!?"

Actually we first met in the old shoutbox, so it was never an issue. There are other girls whom Ive tried to date, but they already knew about my collection... maybe that's why I never got a date... who knows and who cares at this point.

20. WeX_nFx

WeX_nFx ArtDesign TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    DONT KNOW HOW LUCKY!

You guys are living the dream! Im telling you all that I need to move or something because my situation BLOWS! I dont know if its Houston,Tx or what I was born and raised here but DAMN! I have dated all kinds of woman and it seems like all of them decided that what I was doing was more important to me than they were...and so they either bail or I say "HEY ive been collecting since elementary school...this is what gets me excited!" I mean I have under 300 loose, and over 25 boxed. It sucks though because Im alone.. Im stubborn, and I dont want to change my life for some chick. Im very frustrated when it comes to this, but I have struggled with this since puberty. I feel like I cant relate to women because they dont even give me a chance. I hold a grudge against females because this as well.