Home/Wireless Network help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thoughtcrime, Dec 2, 2007.

1. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Hi all. I'm hoping a tech savvy dude can help me out here, as I would like to set up a home network and am unfortunately competely ignorant on how to do so.

Right now, I have a Mac hooked up to DSL on the second floor. My father would like to put his PC down in the basement and share the DSL connection. Is it even possible for a Mac and PC to share one internet connection? They dont need to talk to each other, just both go online. Would I need to run an ethernet cable down from the 2nd floor to the basement, or would the wireless signal reach it? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Brawl

Brawl Master of Destruction

Buy a router. That will make your life a whole lot easier. Connect the DSL modem to the router, then run your cables to the computers (or WiFi if you get a wireless router). Ones that work with both Mac and PC with little to no problems are Belkin or NetGear. Or you can go the slightly more expensive route and get an Airport Base Station from Apple.

I currently have an Airport Base Station hooked up to my Comcast Modem. Connected to the ABS is a NetGear switch. From there I have my PowerMac tower hooked up and my daughter's PC. I also have a iBook I use wireless with the ABS.

Hope this helps.

3. thoughtcrime

Thank you Brawl, you answered a question while raising others, heh.

I have a Westell modem/router feeding the Mac upstairs. This came with the Verizon package. Do I need to buy a separate router/modem to feed the PC, or do I just need a cable or some kind of card to install on the PC?

4. Brawl

Well generally a hard-wired router will have multiple ports for multiple computers (usually in groups of four). If it does, then you are all set, just run a secondary cable to your dad's PC. But if it doesn't like the Airport Base Station, then you need to do what I did and buy a switch. They are pretty cheap. So you will then hook up your modem/router to the switch, then your computers to the switch. Hope this answers the questions I brought up. :) 

5. thoughtcrime

It does, and many thanks for the help so far. This router does indeed have 4 ports in the back. Id rather not buy additional hardware, so I will attempt to run a cable to the PC. Just have to somehow get it from the 2nd floor to the basement without signal loss. Thanks again!

6. Brawl

Anytime. Glad I could help. See if you can run it through the walls and try to avoid putting it next to any electrical. Good luck!