Home theater setup question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by CripNite, Oct 11, 2008.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Okay, so as I've mentioned on a few of the boards, I bought a new TV last week, but there's one thing in the setup that bothers me - I can't get anything on my surround sound.

You see, my TV only has optical audio output, while the dvd player/receiver only has RCA (red/white cords) for input. I've got my DVD player and Wii on Composite, and my HD-TV box and PS3 on HDMI cords, and the only thing that's playing in surround sound is the DVD Player/Receiver (one unit). I'd love to have my BR movies playing in surround sound too and have great visuals AND sound, but now it's almost like I traded one for the other.

So what I would require would be a device that takes an optical audio and coverts it to the RCA. I've checked a couple stores and they say there IS something, but that they just don't have it and to check elsewhere. Does anyone know of a place that has it, or is using something similiar and can suggest something?

And advice at all on this situation would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

That is one of the biggest problems when making the leap to the digital side of things. It can be remedied though.

I'd imagine that you're missing the outward RCA jacks when you're looking it over. There has to be a set. Most LCD and Plasmas today have one. You might be seeing it as an input, but it's really an output. (That would correct your problem in a heartbeat.)

The TV should have Component inputs, not just Composite. (The DVD player and the Wii should be connected through the Component...gives a much better picture.)

It would really help if I knew what make and model your TV is, I could take a quick glance at it and do my best to walk you through it.

But if it's HD, I can tell you that it has Composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI, Optical, and RCA audio out. (I've owned Samsungs, RCAs, LG, Sharp, Panasonic, Sanyo, and all of them had at least one of each type of port.)

I'm not saying that such a device doesn't exist, but I've never heard of it. I've heard of taking RCA inputs, along with S-Video and converting them to Coax for older TVs through a modulator, but this? Um...I'm not sure they're right.

It would definitely help if you could post the make and model of the TV, shows us the capabilities (after a Google search), and from there we can definitely help you figure it out.

But, from what I'm guessing here (that the TV does in fact have all that you need to get what you want...)

Keep the HDMI items connected as is.

The DVD Player/receiver should be connected to a Component input, along with the Wii. (you can buy a switcher box if there's only one input for Component, so both devices can use it.)

The TV should be connected to the receiver through a digital source if possible, but if worse comes to worse, analog surround is better than nothing.

That's why today's TVs are made like they are. Our's has the Wii, upconvert DVD player, HD Cable tuner, computer, and any other A/V devices running directly into the TV, and the audio goes out to a stereo via RCA or Optical. The TV does all of the work for you, that's what it's supposed to do. (NOTE: In case it's not obvious, you'll definitely lose sound quality if you have to go to analog, but it's still better than just standard stereo, too.)

3. CripNite

Hey, the model is an LG Plasma 50PG30.

I've checked out the manual and the TV thorougly, and I'm positive the only audio output is optical.

There are 3 HDMI inputs, two Component Inputs, two Composite inputs (one with Svideo), a USB port, an RGB input (computer connection) and a "remote control in" port. There is also one digital audio out port (marked "optical). This is printed nearly verbatim from the manual, and this is also exactly what is on the unit.

As I said before, all the component inputs are full, and two of the HDMI are in use.

4. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    OK. Ive looked at a picture of the back of your TV from the LG website. It looks like the RCA audio output jacks are located above the AV jacks that have the S-Video in them. I have uploaded the picture I found online. If this is it, then the jacks are what I circled in red. Hope this helps.

Also, heres a link to the instruction page I found:

http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000004172/h_50pg30_spec_sheet.pdf

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• LG.jpg
      LG.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
  5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

EDIT: I stand corrected. I went to LG's website and studied the manual down to the last detail. CripNite is correct, there's no analog audio outputs on the TV. I owe you an apology, I was incorrect, I just never imagined they'd pull such a standardized feature...

What you need is a DAC. (Digital Audio Converter, or Digital To Analog Converter, to be more specific.) It ranges anywhere from $50-350.00+

So, until you have the converter, you're stuck with simulated surround sound via the TV's speakers.

One more thing of note, when you do finally get the converter, here's how it will hook up....

1.) Toslink/Optical cable out of TV.
    2.) Attach toslink cable to the Optical IN port on the converter.
    3.) Attach red and white cables into the RCA jacks going outward from the converter.
    4.) Attach the RCA cables as you normally would, to the back of the audio receiver.
    5.) Go into the TV menu, click Audio and disable the TV speakers. (Audio will come out through the receiver only. This was in the instruction manual, LG requires that you disable the speakers before using the stereo you've attached the TV to.)

That's all you have to do and you'll have your audio back. But, if you don't have a Toslink cable, that's another $15-20.00 plus the converter. So be prepared to have your wallet ripped to shreds.

6. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Dude if you are going to buy a converter, then you might just want to consider an upgrade to a new receiver that has Optical, HDMI etc. inputs. I have an Onkyo 7.1 that I got from circuit city and digital audio is way better then analog. You will notice a marked difference from analog...

7. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    wow. i never imagined they would have taken it out too.

8. CripNite

Okay, so I think I missed something in this thread, but yeah, the above link and picture are completely different setup than on the back of my
    TV, despite that being the right model number.

Anyone have know where I can get a "DAC" for cheap, and what a good model is?

BTW, this is my DVD/Home Theatre guy... and yeah,no optical input on it, unfortunately.