Home Remolding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphie, Mar 12, 2007.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Anybody here in the midst of remolding a room or their house? Right now Kev and I are in the middle of stripping wallpaper off the walls of our bathroom getting it ready to replace the ceiling. I hate it. :lol 

[​IMG]

2. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Wallpaper is evil! We had to do that to both washrooms when we painted them back in december. Took forever... overlapping wallpaper is no fun at all.

We used Dap (I think that was the name of it) liquid for one, it was a messy job. The other we went the gel route, takes longer but not so much of a mess. Steamers work good if you got or know someone who has one.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

We redid both bathrooms here, a few years ago. Didn't have to deal with wallpaper, though. We need to redo the downstairs bathroom, due to water damage. The drain pipe from the upstairs toilet srung a leak. :yuck 

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Whoa, have fun with that :) 

Wallpapering isnt so bad once the surface is nice and smooth, it's putting borders up that I hate the most.

5. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

We just moved into a house in late January and we have a ton of minor remodeling to do. Basically, the whole house need to be painted (including ripping down wallpaper in several places) and I need to put a new floor in the kitchen. We also need an island in the kitchen, drywall in the garage, benches and hangers in the basement mudroom and we need to clean and stain the deck. It's going to be a busy year.

Good luck with your remodeling. When we took wallpaper down in our last house, we just use a sponge to soak the entire wall. This helped get the wallpaper off without much effort and without leaving much residue.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Looks like my bathroom!

My wife was just now getting on my case to finish it.

I took all the laminate panel around the tub down, replaced the old drywall behind it (that was fun) thern put up new laminate panel, which was a pain because I had to measure and cut out the parts for the faucets to go through, plus I have a window in my shower, so I had to cut around that.

I'm still in the process of installing a new pedestal sink and I need to replace some drywall behind where the old sink was.

Good times...

7. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Well, remolding a room sounds like a *lot* of work....I think you should stick with remodeling :p 

And I don't think I've ever seen wallpaper in a bathroom.
    I'd imagine it would get pretty grim pretty soon, with all the moisture and whatnot in there.

I have plenty of fun ahead, have to strip wallpaper off the bedroom walls and kitchen and completely remodel the bathroom from scratch. Oh joy! :p 

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you should use a TF wallpaper.

...which u can get by clicking the link in my sig!

9. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Tricky - Must have been the fumes. :lol 

Well, my husband and I worked all night peeling the wallpaper off because the contractor said he would be here bright and early today. It's now noon and no sign of him. So, we call up Kev's mom to know what's going on and found out he'll be here sometime this week. He's cheap, does great work so not worried about it.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Just completing the final touches on finishing my basement...it has been a long year.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Sounds like an episode of Holmes on Homes.

12. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Well granted im a Carpenter and I build housed everyday and remodel. Yeah, I know whats up with this stuff. I enjoy it actually.

13. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just finished peeling wall paper backing off approximately 400 sq feet of wall in my basement... where they never primed the drywall before putting the wallpaper on... talk about "fun" to scrape off :redface2: 

but now that's done and its on to repairing the under lying drywall.

Fixing drywall joints FTW :p 

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, the "remodeling" is at full swing. And let me tell you, once you start something, you ALWAYS find something wrong. The guy yesterday, as he ripped down our walls saw that there was an inch of CONCRETE on the drywall. Not plaster, concrete. :sly:  On top of that, as you can see in the image we have NO insulation at all in our walls. The concrete was a cheap alternative back in the forties to try and keep the house insulated. No wonder I can't put a nail in my freaking walls! So, now we realized our house has NO insulation throughout it and concrete on top of the drywall. :redface2:  Gotta love remodeling. *being sarcastic here lol*

[​IMG]

Edit - Sorry for the very blurry pic. I was shooting on auto and for some reason it didn't focus at all.

Another edit - They found black mold. :banghead:  Apparently our roof is leaking. Man oh man, this is turning into a HUGE mess.

15. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    More pictures from today. They gutted all the walls in the bathroom.

[​IMG]

Picture of the mold.

[​IMG]

And the guys discovered an old medicine cabinet that had been walled over.

[​IMG]

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Given where that mold is, it might not be the roof. That could easily be from moisture from the bathroom getting through the walls.

The one home improvement show I watch is Holmes on Homes. They've had a few bathrooms on that with far worse mold after just a few months, because things weren't sealed up properly.

17. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Probably. I'm glad that's the ONLY mold we had on the walls. Guy told us that the concrete and lack of insulation might have helped keep it at bay. He just finished gutting the ENTIRE room today and found what insulation there was in the attic was rather moldy. So, having to replace all of that. :banghead:  But he did say, with the construction of our house, it can withstand a tornado. Always have to look to the bright side of things. :lol 

While he gutted out the ceiling he did come across an interesting discovery.

[​IMG]

It's called a "Magic Carpet TV FM Antenna". It's rather large, with a wire grid running throughout it along with wires. Apparently has been sitting in the attic for quite some time.

And a pic of the gutted ceiling. It's creepy in the bathroom now. Feels like a freaking outhouse. :lol 

[​IMG]

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Man when it rains it poors. Im sorry to hear they've found so many problems.

19. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Sucks that you found that mold but at the same time its good you did discover it while remodeling. This way you can get it fixed and out of the way without having to tear down the wall again.

20. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, today found out we have a HUGE health risk. This, is a piece from our bathroom sink. Yep, that's rust, so thick and so compacted not even a screwdriver can go through it. The ENTIRE pipe systems in our bathroom is like this. Guy told us that if we have used that sink to drink out of, we would have most definitely have gotten lead poisoning. Sad thing is, ALL our pipes in our house is cast iron so, our kitchen sink which we use regularly is bad, but not as bad as this.

[​IMG]

EVERYTHING is gutted out now, except for the carpet, bathtub and, toilet, which is still usable. :lol  Kind of creepy going in there.

[​IMG]