Home Network Question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MoeSizzlac, Jan 2, 2010.

1. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Hey guys.
    This is a home network I have setup:
    [​IMG]
    I've worked with XP comps and networks before. My problem I'm having is with PC2. I'm trying to get the Vista computer to print off of PC1's Printer. I've already shared the printer on PC1 but nothing. I can't get the vista computer to see any shared files of PC1 either.

Here are my questions:

1) Seeing that I'm not 100% familiar with vista, are there extra settings that I should be on the lookout for besides getting all the workgroup names the same on each computer?

2) Does having the wireless linksys router plugged into the wired linksys router screw up PC2's ability to see PC1?

3) And on a side note, just for curiosity's sake, can you put a switch before a router and still pull internet off the router? In other words, the order would go modem => switch=> router=> computer. Would the computer be able to get to the internet with the router and switch on default settings?

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Yeah I would also try and check to see if you have all your ports open in the router and allow all to the others as well make sure the Vista firewall is off. Answere to questions 2 is no, not that I know of. Answere to 3 is, no you can't, unless the modem is a modem/router mix.

3. MoeSizzlac

Vista Firewall you say. I'll have to find and disable that. Thanks Blackout.

4. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As Blackout says the firewall may be blocking the printer. I think you have to enable or add the firewall exception "File and Printer Sharing" in the firewall settings. I'm not certain since I've not used Vista in six months.

No, the modem's in the router. Usually routers are a combination of devices; a modem, a network switch, a firewall, and a DHCP server, so it's the interface between your network and the internet. You can insert a network switch between the router and your PCs though. Also, consumer level switches don't need any configuration.

5. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I assume all PCs are of the same Bit? not mixing 32 bit XP with 64 Vista, I mean? it SHOULDN'T be a problem, but we've had intermittent issues with that at work for some reason.

6. MoeSizzlac

All 32 bit...it has to be a problem with Vista that I overlooked since it can't even see the shared files of the other computer. It seems that XP is as easy as it gets when setting up a network, but Vista is like the villain that just won't give me a break. It's my Parent's house that I'm trying to configure so I'll get another crack at it the next time I get over there...Until then, is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

7. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Was file and printer sharing activated on Vista? are all the computers on the same workgroup?