Customs: Home injection molding

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Granted if you got a few thousand you can get a nice small to med sized machine (good luck with maintenance on the screw though) but I cam across this and thought it might be interesting, if not in a trivial way, to some. I suppose you'd have to cnc the dies (if you know people who own CNCs you'd probably be looking at material costs with the plans made already).

Bench Table Top Injection Moulding Machine Repro Minor | eBay

Didn't really delve deep into finding an updated sale but, like I said, interesting in a trivial way.

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    The real temptation is down here in south florida you can get a full size used industrial injection molding machine for about 5k, I'm an elecromechanical technician and machine operator by trade so I could build/run/maintain the unit, but I need 480volt/100 amp three phase power at my house!

3. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah you can get great deals in Michigan. 2 of the plastics plants I worked at shut down and had really nice machines. The whole industry crashed in the USA after the trade being opened in 2004. For every ten there was there's only 1 which means great deals but the voltage changes...yeah. In michigan they're only zoned in industrial parks.

Found out you can get a decent cnc set up for 600 (small form I guess, which would work).

Initially I had an idea about using a glue gun and making a set up based on the machines I've run but the search on diy turned up a lot more effective and easier to make methods and this injection machine. All you need is some clamps and a drill press.

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i looked at something like this not long ago but i have zero knowledge of 3d modeling and decided i didnt move enough to justify the cost of the molds (although i could have taken the gamble to see if i could lower my prices) but again back to 0 3d modeling experience

should circumstances ever change i may look it up again

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Get Google Sketchup. I went from zero 3D modeling experience to making fairly complex models in the span of a couple days.

It's probably not the best CAD software out there but it's free and VERY easy to learn. As soon as my 3D printer shows up I'll be going to town designing and printing stuff, I've already got three designs ready to go. Here's a gun I made the other day just screwing around:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I know yourreflection/Kidbash was looking at and I think he bought this benchtop machine: Benchtop Injection Molder - Home Page

I don't know how it compares but stuff like this and the prices of 3d printers coming down, it definitely opens up a ton of opportunities for the serious customizer/scratchbuilder.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Where/how do you get molds made for machines like this? I assume they need steel molds?

EDIT: NM, it says you can use epoxy molds.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This

9. Megatron31

Ebay:
    epoxy molds really?

you would pour an epoxy mold just like you would a silocone mold right?

that elinates a huge cost right there especially if they hold up

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Those epoxy molds are reinforced with aluminum like material in the epoxy mix. I have no first hand experience with them but I heard the material is very tempermental.

11. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

http://www.injectionmolder.net/epoxy molds-step_ by_ step.htm
    Not sure if it's 'tempermental' like big hank says but it looks like the same type process. You just need the aluminum mold/shell, http://www.injectionmolder.net/accessories.htm.

EDIT - Oh, and apparently people have been successful in using molds printed from a 3D printer (Zprinter model). http://www.injectionmolder.net/moldmaking.htm

12. Megatron31

Ebay:
    compaired to the cost of having a machine made mold that is pretty cheap.

the only issue i have is the power otherwise this comes back to being feasible again

and i can still hand make my prototypes

13. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    heat would be an issue with the epoxy possibly (possibly depending on type). I read a guy on youtube saying his mold started falling apart at 100 f...I'll link his vid (read comments):

Hobby Injection Molding - YouTube

Also fumes are a major issue. PVC and ABS being the plastics I'd use I know PVC puts of very toxic fumes but is so readily available. Definitely an open garage door and mask thing.

14. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I'm pretty clueless about electricity stuff but the specs on this say "Electrical: 120V 400W". Is that not something you can do from home without upgrading stuff?

15. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i was talking about the first one not the hand pump one
    the one in the link you posted U9 is totally house friendly