Home Depot Fires Men Who Stopped Thieves

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViperDragon, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/money/13452152/detail.html

MIDWEST CITY, Okla. -- A former Home Depot employee said the company fired him and three other workers because they helped police catch several suspected shoplifters in May.

Survey: Agree With Firings?

Midwest City Police said the men helped officers catch suspected shoplifters as they tried to run from a store with lawn equipment.

An internal memo from Home Depot outlines that associates cannot accuse, detain, chase or call the police on any customer for shoplifting. However, one of the fired employees said the company is selective in enforcing that policy.

"The loss-prevention guy at our Shields (Boulevard) store turned around and told me all we need to do is tell the shoplifter to have a good day as they leave the store. I said that just doesn't make sense," former employee Bob Stewart said.

Stewart said what really doesn't make sense is a termination letter Home Depot gave him and three other employees after they helped police catch the shoplifters.

"We saw them with the merchandise. We saw them run out of the store. I never kept my eyes off of them," Stewart said. "Then when we asked them for a receipt, and that's when they dropped the merchandise and they kept running. One guy still had a chainsaw while he was running, and that's when the cops tackled him."

The letter said Stewart and the others were fired because they "pursued and assisted in the apprehension of suspected shoplifters."

Stewart said all he did was call police, something he's done before. Less than eight months ago, he said that he received a letter -- a commendation letter -- for helping police catch a thief trying to steal $2,500 worth of wire.

On the top of the letter, written in bold letters was "Great job, Bob."

Home Depot officials said in an e-mail to Oklahoma City TV station KOCO that they have "standard operating procedures in place for situations like this," and that "from time to time, we find inconsistent execution in our stores."

However, they added that they do not discuss personnel matters and will not comment on this specific case.

Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes said he won't comment on the store policy, but said they would probably not have caught the suspects or recovered the property or the stolen car they drove if it had not been for the help of these four employees.

Clabes said he is considering giving the four men letters of appreciation for helping catch the suspects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's one of the dumbest things I have heard recently! I just love how criminals get so much sympathy. I hope the guys can get a lawsuit against Home Depot for this crap! And people wonder why no one ever helps out anyone anymore.

ViperDragon

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Hey company policy is company policy.

Corporations don't want employees trying to be cowboys. A man here in Tucson was shot in killed trying to stop a couple of guys stealing a case of beer. Dead. Over a case of fucking beer.

I knew the guy, he was a really nice hard working guy. He thought he was doing the right thing, but he should have just let them go. Companies don't want senseless deaths like that associated with their name.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's an insurance thing. The last thing the company wants is for some cash register jockey to take a stolen pitchfork to the throat in a struggle and sue for damages.

You want to be a cop? Be a cop.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Business practices in this country suck, but I can see HD's side in this. They made a bad move in firing the guys, but they are right for not wanting them to assist police.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'll be honest - I feel for the Home Depot employees on this issue. I recognize that a big corporation like Home Depot is using policies like this to cover thier butts, but honestly...these poor fellas are now local heroes. The best way to honor them is to fire them? How very corporate.

6. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

hmmm, aren't you supposed to reward good and punish bad? or did i miss the memo?

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

like many other said, it is BAD to go running chasing after some one like that.

8. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Exactly. I look at it this way, if it isnt your stuff and the company doesnt care, dont worry about it, probably don't even get paid enough to do so. However the company shouldnt have fired them, maybe just reprimanded them a bit.

9. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Truly, no good deed goes unpunished. Corporate America at its finest. I commend the ex-employees but have to wonder why they took theft personally enough to risk life & limb for a company that sees them only as a number.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    So you can walk into Home Depot and take whatever you want, and they're not allowed by the company to even TRY and stop you?

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    *dons trenchcoat and shifty-eyed look*

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, that's pretty stupid. I hear Petco has the same kind of policy.

Stupid company - now everybody who hears this story will know you can get away with shoplifting at Home Depot.

They shot themselves in the foot by firing these guys. They should have just looked the other way.

13. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can understand the policy but to fire them?

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I know someone who works at Micheals who said that this is virtually the same policy they have. If they see or "catch" someone shoplifting, the best they can do is tell the manager, who can choose how to handle the issue from that point.

15. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I think grocery stores are the same way, at least price chopper up here was.

The stores have cameras.. if you catch someone stealing something, you just let them go and make a note of it to your boss, and if he cares enough, he'll phone the cops and they will catch the suspects later :) 

there's no need to go running after thieves this day and age

but I also agree. firing the guys is stupid

16. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Yeah I work at Walmart, and theft is super bad here( pitiful for a small town ) and all they tell us is if we see someone stealing, notify a member of management, and keep an eye on them until said manager shows up ( which takes 5-10 min, give or take ) and let them handle it. Associates are forbidden to touch or otherwise detain anyone.

But my department manager, co-manager and a CUSTOMER did take down a guy trying to steal $700 in $20 video games and such in the Garden Center one morning. I always miss the good stuff.

17. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you have no respect for the rules, the law or yourself? Then yes.

18. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

uhhh, what? ::moves to Canada::

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    There are folks out there who just plain don't. I mean, heck, I'm assuming Valk & I don't fall into that category, but this is the type of news that some people might see and go "Ah...new marks!"

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I dunno,

On the issue of stopping shoplifters- leave it to the police and company policy.

I have worked enough retail to know that the companies plan for things like stealing and work it into their budget.

Yes the loose money, but in the grand scheme of things it is really very little and it would be terrible if you died trying to be a hero all for saving the company 100 dollars...

On the issue of Home Depot- it sucks that they would lose their jobs over something like this, but it sounds like details are a little hazy.