Holy Sh!t!!! The whole world must have been sleeping when this auction went down!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mega-Prime, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow,

Just this week I decided to start collecting TFs again full-tilt after selling off most of my collection almost 3 years ago because I had lost my job.

Well, look's like I'm off to a good start 'cause I just scored a MISB G1 Headstrong tonight for just alittle over 100$. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230007066898

Plus, I had contacted the seller earlier today to ask about the condition of the back of the box since there weren't any pics & he say's it's 100% crease free. :D 

This is seriously the very first time I didn't get sniped out of a win like this at the very last second.

... Now to get my hands on the rest of those pesky Predacons... :p 

2. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think you might have gotten it at that price because everyone else thought it was too much. I would have gone for the complete MISB die-cast reissue predaking set instead of just one figure for not much more than what you paid there.

But that said, good luck finding the rest of the set MISB. It might take a while. You might want to plant a bomb at the next toy convention, so then you'll be able to have a shot at a whole heap of deceased estate toy listings. :D 

3. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

congrats on the win. I have a very hard time winning ebay auctions as well. Are you going to open it? Even if you don't do you know if it's metal or plastic?

just curious.

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Nice find there. Good luck on your hunt for the rest of them.

Now, if you open him, I'm going to have to bust you up with a lead pipe. Hahaha just kidding man, but when it comes to toys have have been sealed for twenty years or so... you have to think it's their destiny that they stay minty fresh for many years to come. It's history man! It's history!

I'll stop now before I start ranting and raving like a lunatic. But yeah, awsome find!!

5. Mega-Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, this sucker's staying sealed. Heck, I'm already scouring online for an acrylic case to put him in.

The seller didn't say wether it was plastic or metal, but it doesn't really matter to me. It's all about the nostalgia... Beautiful, Crisp, Sealed & Locked away nostalgia. :lol 

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm happy with the reissue but if vintage makes you happy then congrats!

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Congrats! I'm happy with my loose one that I put together one piece at a time, but scoring a boxed one in great shape is always a bonus!
    Well done, that's a real focal piece you have there.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The reissue really did a number on G1 Predacon prices, but that's still not bad. Congrats!

9. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you watch on ebay, you can get great deals like that. I almost won a MIB Sunstreaker with the box insert and all paperwork (Sunstreakers condition was awsome!) the other day for $50, but I got out bid at the last second by a sniper for $53. Oh well. I probally would have just sold the box and paperwork, I dont have a use for it.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Dear sir,

This be the place for you. Look on their customer pictures page and you'll even see Elvin's got a picture up there of his Lucky Draw Gold Convoy wrapped lovingly in one of their cases. I've ordered from them and have a hard time believing you'd find a better display case anywhere. Any size you could want, and they'll even do custom requests if you contact them.

Congrats by the way. I've been scouring eBay for certain G1ers MISB and haven't turned any up yet that I've been looking for. But, it's just a matter of time.

11. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Nice deal & congrats! Hope you score the other 4 as easily.

13. Mega-Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Look's like an awesome site, but the size case I'd need + shipping it to Canada would come to over 50$ U.S

I think I might try my hand at making my own out of plexi-glass...

Anybody here know if a heat-gun would be hot enough to soften a 3/16" sheet of plexi-glass to shape it?

14. Night Flame

What type of heat gun? I've bent sheats of plexiglass with a hand-held blow-torch before. It doesn't take much heat, just constant steady movement along whatever dimension you want it to bend, and a smooth metal pipe under it to give it shape.

I will say, on the price of cases from that store, you do tend to get what you pay for. Not that I'd discourage you from trying your hand at making your own, because that's a pretty cool route too. But the only cases in my entire collection that keep the dust out are the ones I've bought from them. My home-made ones always end up with some little gap here or there on them. But, if you're not adverse to a couple trips with the feather duster each year, that's no big deal either.

15. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Nice find and welcome back to the addictive hobby of Transformer collecting.

16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    $50 for a case! Jeebus Cripes! I'd need to buy some sort of case to safely store my case in if I paid that much for it. :p 

17. Mega-Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Not sure what type of gun, just a cheap one for stripping paint.

I may just try it on a smaller piece to see if it works.

Question: (Since you've worked at shaping plexi before). Would it be possible to cut out a flat box design, bend all four sides together into a box & then "weld" the sides together by melting a thin strip of leftover plexi into the grooves with the torch?

I have a grinder & buffer, so even if the job's not totally perfect I could buff out the imperfections. (This is speaking out of experience working with metal, not sure if it would work with plastic.)

Then all that's missing is a cap for the bottom.

18. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    You definately do get what you pay for with casesforcollectibles. They're actually based right down the road from me and they make some great cases. I had them make me a custom one for the Victory Saber I used to have and it was awesome. I've still got a small case mounted to my wall holding my SNES games and a large 2'x3' one that I have my comic statues in.

19. Night Flame

I tend to buy cases by the boatload, so I don't notice the shipping impact quite so much on most of them. I think my last order was four cases of various sizes, and shipping total was something like $18 or something.

Of course, if you scale up in size, then even buying the flat acrylic for it is pretty spendy these days. Acrylic prices seem to have shot up over the past few months again.

I would imagine it's possible, but I don't know if I'd do the excess + heat to weld together the sides. The easier method, and the method that looks like is used by that store I buy from, is to lay one sheet flat that'll cover either three sides, or two sides and the top and melt/bend in the right spot, then cut the remaining two sides to shape. It's really difficult to do a perfect square bend on plastic of any type without thinning it too much to hold up over time. Granted, I have seen some odd-ball aquarium people do it with really thick chunks, so anything's possible if you take your time and have a good idea of what you're doing.

Since I never do (have any idea what I'm doing), I wouldn't attempt it myself. You may be more handy than I am though.

The bottom cap is pretty simple. You can make it with wood and a router, or just cut a piece of (colored) plastic to fit the bottom of your "case," then cut another piece somewhat larger and glue the two pieces together the flat way. At least, that's what I've done in the past. Looks decent enough if you don't over-do the glue in between the pieces on the bottom.

Of course, all of this depends on whether or not you can find inexpensive plexi/acrylic anywhere. Pricey stuff these days.