Holy Grail - Diagunder: Almost Complete!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pravus Prime, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    A few years ago, I branched out from TF's into Web Diver and Diagunder figures, partly because I liked the idea of video game toys, partly because I am a sucker for dragon transformers, and partly because with a small line, it's usually pretty easy to collect them all.

While it took a few years, I was able to get a complete Web Diver collection. Unfortunately, finding Daigunder figures have proven far more difficult. Due to the failure of both lines, as a sequel, Daigunder figures were far harder to come by, and seemed to be a blip on the toy radar as far as availability went, as stores that carried Web Diver refused to be burned again by Daigunder. In addition, much like Web Diver, the line was far too expensive. My goal had been to get as many as I could at clearance or on eBay or whatnot. It worked great for Web Diver (I got many figures for under 2 dollars in box.), but that didn't happen with Diagunder, as I said. This has made finding pieces harder than finding hens teeth, if you will.

This is rather unfortunate, as, IMHO, Diagunder was a vastly superior line. For those who haven't a clue what I'm talking about, Daigunder was a TV show and toyline by Takara in 2002 with transforming figures in which each unit was also part of a video game system. A central figure, gunder (gundar, depending on the translation) served as the main figure, and was also the game station and system, which via cords plugged into the TV By itself, it had a lightgun and a game like Starfox meets Duck Hunt, where you'd "fly" through areas shooting bad guys and avoiding getting hit. At the end of each level is a boss. After defeating him you'd have a choice of your path, with 2 destinations possible, until you got all the way through and fought the final level. While a bit enjoyable, and far easier than Gradion (Gladion) from Web Divers games, the real fun IMHO was from the other game systems. There were 2 ROM units, which plugged in and opened up a different game, a megaman style side scroller, in which gunder combined with ROM 1 or ROM 2 would wander through the level, and you'd destroy enemies using the weapon that gunder on screen uses. That's right, you'd weild the weapon, For Example, ROM 1, a lion who's claws you'd use. Swipe with your claw, gunder swipes with his on screen. Block with yours, he defends with his. Lastly, Gunder also came with Ryuagu, the dragon knight. Using Ryuagu, or any 9 other fighters, you had a Street Fighter style game, that supported 2 player vs matches, or against a scaling CPU fighter. (Level 1 CPU fighter was easy, Level 10 CPU fighter was far harder for example) Each fighter has their own attack, attack range, defense, and special attack.

This week, in a great eBay triple auction, I managed to win 3 figures, all VS fighters, which I recieved yesterday. :mail 

At the moment, of the 10 fighters, I have 9. Of the 2 ROMs, I have one. Of the main unit and the walker, I have them both.

I am missing V-03, Tri-Horn the Triceratops, and ROM 2, Bone Rex the T-Rex.

I don't suppose anyone out there has either of those, and are willing to part with it?

I've been thinking about writing a review for ToyFare or somesuch, and see if they're interested in an article about the series.

Anyone? :drunk 

2. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I ahve a few bits from web diver and looking for more, also want to get the digander stuff, but have yet to see any anywhere (used to see loads on ebay before actually deciding i wanted em!).

Sounds like you have a great collection there man!...

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome! I've got a complete set of Webdiver, but wasn't in love with it enough to continue on with accumulating Daigunder.

On Yahoo Japan, I've seen a number of Daigunder pieces going for next to nothing. Must be some of the more commons ones, I suppose.

EDIT:
    Would you be kind enough to post a complete list of Daigunder items (along with their designation numbers, if any)? I have an enormous spreadsheet that I use to manage TF & TF-related items. Would love to get the Daigunder stuff documented on there as well.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Webdiver was awesome. Only have 2 figs left (Sharkon & Phoenixon) but they're for sale for 10ea.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

As far as gameplay goes, Daigunder is leaps and bounds more fun than Web Diver IMHO. And with friends, the VS mode can be a lot of fun.

Sure, I had mine in a spreadsheet as well, but it seems I didn't transfer it onto this computer when I got this one and upgraded, fortunately, it's a short list. If you want to know more about any of them that I have, feel free to ask. Sometime I'm going to get a website or something going with them, and pictures and whatnot.

Gunder and Ryuagu - Central Unit, no designation, white and red dragon and knight. (Ryuagu is V-00 essentially)

ROM1 Bulion - Blue and Gold Lion, ROM game with claw, Interchangable chest/head unit with Gunder and Drago Burst.

ROM2 Bone Rex - Red and Silver T-Rex, ROM game with sword, Interchangable Chest/head unit with Gunder and Drago Burst. (I don't have him)

V-01 Eagle Arrow - Brown and white eagle, VS fighter

V-02 Dori Moag - Orange and gray mole, VS fighter

V-03 Tri Horn - orange and green Triceratops, VS fighter. (I don't have him)

V-04 Death Specter - light and dark blue Pteradactyl, VS fighter

V-05 Ginzan - Blue, red, and gray Unicorn/Pegasus, VS fighter

V-06 Tiger Maru - Yellow and Green tiger, VS fighter, combines with Rogue Maru to form Double Fang

V-07 Rogue maru, Purple and Gold wolf, VS fighter, combines with Tiger Maru to form Double Fang

V-08 Double Fang Giftset of Tiger Maru and Rogu Maru, VS fighters

V-09 Drago Freeze, light blue, dark blue, and yellow ice dragon, VS fighter, becomes shield for Gunder

V-10 Drago Flame, light red, dark red, and yellow flame dragon, VS fighter, becomes sword for Gunder.

DZ - Drago Burst, black, gray, red, purple dragon. Walker unit, no game capabilities. Can use Ryuagu, Bulion, or Bone Rex as head and chest unit. Can combine with Gunder as a larger dragon walker.

6. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

For the love of God, man, we needs some pics! I suppose I could attempt a google search, but you've got them all there already. I justs started getting into Webdiver, but know nothing, except what you just posted, about Diagunder.

7. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I've always liked the Diagunder line. Sadly I only picked up one piece. Webdiver on the other hand... I picked up quite a bit of. If I hadn't of seen Web Divers crap-tacular anime... I may have picked up the whole line. For a while it was fun collecting an alternative series of robot toys, but it became to costly for me. So I just focused back in on Transformers. Hence why I only have one DIagunder figure.

You know what series I really loved? Medarot (Medabots) ! What an often over looked line that was. Back when I first caught hints of it.... info was hard to come by. It was nearly a year before I even found out the name of the series, let alone could find the toys. Funny thing, after I got my first major score of about 12 figures... it came out in the US. Then they were easy to come by.

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah...still can't find ANY Diagunder toys online...except for one red chrome lucky draw toy on eBay. I can't even find them on Yahoo! Japan auctions anymore. Any clues to finding these?

9. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

God, I LOVE this series. Its a shame that they ended it.

10. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i know this series was really awesome and the different combos with the bots were awesome i just wish the toys were more accessible

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Wow, my thread got necro'd!

Laughably, 3 years later and I still haven't found those last two piecies (ROM1 and V-03).

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this is a decent thread to have necro'd now and then, seeing how Daigunder is STILL friggin obscure. :lol 

Someday I'll chase it down myself.

13. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After a bit of searching I finally bought my first 2 Diagunder toys in a long time. Picked up boxed specimens of V-06 & V-07 on Yahoo! Japan for a mere 500 yen each! I really regret selling Deathpector (or whatever is name is) all those years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

Arise old thread.

I recently stumbled upon what may be the coolest looking (to me) Takara product ever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110444203442&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Deathspectre from Dai Gander. On the ebay auction I linked to, the seller reported that he knows of many breakage issues with this figure because of the type of plastic. That is, he suffers from "Gold Plastic Syndrome" similar to Black Zarak or G2 Slighshot/Electro.

Does anyone have the Deathspectre figure? Does he just crumble, or is it that you can be VERY careful and keep him together. Just looking for any info.

Thanks!

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The seller is TFW member Might Gaine.

It's not an issue like GPS, where the toy spontaneously decays.

It's part of the natural problem with the toy being molded heavily out of translucent plastic. The harder translucent stuff doesn't flex the way that regular plastic does, so instead of bending and deflecting with stress, it simply fractures. See also: RiD Prowl's doors, and Galaxy Force Vector Prime's sword handle (not Cybertron's, which used a flexible plastic instead).

Although I'm sure the metal flake in that plastic doesn't help things either.

If it weren't for that problem, I probably would have bought one of those, too.

16. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That guy is might gaine? awesome.

17. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have this figure and I can verify that it just falls apart during transformation. This has happened to me twice. The light blue plastic has a metallic swirl which I'm sure isn't helping matters. My "Fire Guts" Superlink Convoy broke on me (legs, on two different toys) and it too had a hint of the metallic swirl.

Deathspectre broke on the leg joints on both of mine. I've got one held together w/ superglue right now. If I can find the time I'll do a little photo review for my blog (check my sig).

On a unrelated note, thanks to Might Gaine I've added a few more figs to my Diagunder collection. These critters just have a unique charm that makes the hunt worth while.

18. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

19. soybean56

Thanks for the info fellas. Good to know that the seller is Might Gaine here.
    I really like both of Deathspectre's modes, so am I going to be forced to purchase two and just have them as display pieces?
    That = :( 

20. soybean56

Wait a sec... who is the blue/gold lionesque attachment armor packaged with this figure?
    ??????????? ??????? ?????? - Yahoo!Auction - Yahoo!Auction

Someone gave me an actual transforming toy that is clearly that same lion, but I never knew what is was. It doesn't have anykind of electronics or wires that I can tell. Can someone please tell me who he is, and how he works with the video game?

Thanks