Holy crap my collection boggles my mind... and makes me queston my sanity.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Doctor Doom, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

I have spent my precious night off sorting though my 3 longboxes of comics (it used to be about 10... but some were ruined a few years ago by my dogs).

I have found some gems and a few stinkers.

Near-complete run of "Generation X"
    First major comic I had collected. Stopped around 2000 with the "Wolvie as Horseman War" arc. Thankfully I did end it as it began to suck royally.

Near-complete run of "Knights of the Dinner Table"
    Heh... just missing #1-16 (outa a run of almost 110 and still going!). Love that comic! RPG Humor at its best.

The first apperance of "Spider-Girl" and #1-15 of the comic
    Some are still worth some pretty pennies.

Near-complete run of "Reign of the Supermen"
    Just missing the issue of GL. Screw the naysayers I LIKED IT!

Compete run of "Death of Clark Kent"
    See "Reign of the Supermen"

First 20 issues of "Superboy" and first 5 of "Steel"
    I was a teenager! How was I supposed to know that this would turn into something that Turnado would't be able to flush!

Mankind
    I want more! FOLEY IS GAWD! FOLEY IS GAWD!!!!!

Compete Mark Waid's run on FF
    My opinion is WELL KNOWN about this.

Some Valiant comics I could care less about
    I have no clue how those got in there

X-Men/Star Trek crossovers
    Crap. This comes from a second-generation Trekkie so IT IS CRAP.

Just about Every damn TF comic from Dreamwave
    You think with all the cash I spent on the altenate covers and special edition and fucking reprints Pat could have paid off some bills.

Cable & Bastion and Machine Man & Bastion annuals
    SPOILER: Bastion was Nimrod.
    SPOILER: Last time we saw Bastion was 5 years ago and Marvel U has been a better place.
    SPOILER: Artwork sucked ass as bad as the story

Alpha Flight... I think the 3rd run
    I bought alot of crap over the years. So sue me.

First Issue of "Wolverine"
    'nuff said

I'm still sorting though a box of loose crap from the past 2 years and I might post a few more gems and floaters.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

yea, whenever I got home to Buffalo , Isort through books and see what ican bring back. Here's come things I found.

What If starring Spidergirl signed
    Near complete run on Superpro - SHUT UP
    Complete run of Clone Saga including all minis and specials
    Complete run from Death of Supeman/Funeral For a Friend/Reign of the Supermen - It was good!
    Death of Clark Kent
    Complete run of Electric Superman and Superman Red/Superman Blue
    Amazing Spiderman 121
    GIJoe 155
    Green Lantern 46-51
    Entire Heroes Reborn runs

3. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I liked it except for Coast City getting blown up and causing Hal Jordan to go crazy. And mulleted Superman. I still hate that. Long hair works on Authority's Apollo but not on Superman, IMHO (except maybe for Alex Ross' "Samson-Superman" sketch planned for KINGDOM COME, just in case he was forced to do long haired Superman). But it was all right and I liked the concluding issue with Superman back in action.

I liked it back when it came out, but didn't when I read it again. Might be a bad association thing since it came out in 1995 along with rising comic prices, Marvel buying its own distributor and screwing up the comics industry as a result, drawn out parts of the Clone Saga like "Maximum Clonage" (and revealation that Peter was the clone, etc etc... But SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN #0 was a pretty good comic), and Teen Iron Man.

Superboy... was okay, I guess. Steel I haven't read. I might pick up the issues written by Priest just to see what his writing style was like before QUANTUM AND WOODY & BLACK PANTHER.

Best Valiant ones: All that's written by Jim Shooter or Barry Windsor-Smith. After that it varies, although QUANTUM AND WOODY by the aformentioned Priest and M.D. Bright was good. Usable Resource: http://www.valiantcomics.com

I wondered how they decided to do that? It sounded like the kind of idea that would usually be brought up more in fanfiction.net than in a comic. (Trivia: Peter David mentioned that DC wanted to do a Superman/Star Trek crossover back when DC had the license, but Paramount declined for some reason--I think they considered Superman "unrealistic" for Star Trek or something.)

[Insert Porsche joke here]

ALPHA FLIGHT series are the following:

1st: Started out with Byrne (and it was actually pretty good, even though Byrne said he didn't like the work he was doing), then Mantlo (where it got crazy and stuff as Puck is revealed to be a normal-sized man who got turned into a dwarf, and Sasquatch gets turned into a woman), then... uh... I think Lobdell (his significant contribution to v1 was THIS: http://www.icomics.com/rev_051600_alpha.shtml Check out that first panel.) and then Furman, I think. I only read the Byrne run and some Mantlo stuff.

2nd: Written by Seagle, and from what I read about it the series seemed to deal with a bunch of conspiracy within Department H and stuff.

3rd: This one came out last year, written by Lobdell as a comedic series. The dialogue at least is better than the one he wrote for Northstar's outing.

There's three of them now, I think. Mini, Regular v1, and regular v2. Which one you got?

4. Doctor Doom

Regular 1 and Regular 2

5. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I picked up the first 30 issues of Wolverine for 140 bucks (88 series not the new one) and they are in gorgeous condition.

6. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That is probably my favorite DC story of all time and I consider the GL issue to contain one of the best fights in all of comics.

And Wreckgar, from where in Buffalo are you from and where did you shop? We may have met and never known it.

(And I'm stealing your signed Spider-Girl and Clone Saga stuff. FYI.)

7. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In June we got a new house and for the first time I've been able to put all my comics out. Because of limited space I only put what I was reading at the time out and stored the rest. But now with the new house I got a good sized toy/comic room and put them all out. ALL 21 LONG BOXES (that's 17 years worth boys 13 to 30) between that and being able to put out most my figs and TFs now my wife just about shits every time she goes down there.

8. Wreckgar

I used to shop at Queen City on Transit Rd before they moved everything to the downtown location. After that, I went to Don's Atomic Comics who took over QC. But that was only for a while, year or so, before I moved to Chicago

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I've not got much thats notable anymore, a near-complete set of pre-200 Claremont Uncanny and a third printing TMNT#1 is about it.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I've got #s 1-3 of the old Marvel Star Wars comics locked away. They're the 35 cent square variation.

Haven't checked prices in a few years. Anyone know what they're worth these days? (Knowing my luck they plummeted like most other comics I have put away lol)

11. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Where do you go to check out comic values?

12. The Spider

How much did you pay for them? Did they look like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6555584166

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6557356404

FYI: People seem to be hunting down the 35 cent variants since they seem to be rare. Listing shown here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/psmerolle/35variantlist.htm

13. The Spider

The two guides people use the most are Overstreet (for older comics) and WIZARD (for what's currently hot and/or new)

Personally, I recommend looking at completed eBay auctions if you've got an account. If not just type in the name of the title you're looking for in the regular eBay search and check what's currently going on.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I just transported all of my short boxes from my parent's attic to my house last week. 7 short boxes. I still have about 7 or 8 long boxes up there to get. Haven't had a chance to see what I have yet. I know I have the origional Crisis in there.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yep, that's them. I don't know what they cost, I'm assuming 35 cents since either my brother or parents bought them. They were given to me 15 years or so ago. They aren't mint, but they are in very good condition.

16. Spider Striker

Queen City is where I used to buy my TF when I was like 6. Can't remember which location it was though, and I've never heard of that other place. I shopped at Adventure Cards and Comics before moving down here to Morgantown a month ago.

17. Doctor Doom

I just found a box of ToyFare magazines from the past 3 years.

:D 

*reads TTT goodness*

18. Wreckgar

I went to Adventure Comics back when they were still called Flight Into Fantasy. That is if I am thinking corrently and it's the one on Elmwood Ave.

19. Spider Striker

Yeah that one. I think I went to it a couple times when it was under that name too. We probably missed each other though.

20. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Have them all. A total waste of money but Hey! It's SpiderGirl. :D 

Have them ALL too. Even the GL issue. It took a couple of months to have them all but now they are in their respectives plastic bags. :thumbs2: 

Same here. Again in plastic bags, My favorite comics in my collection. I even have a couple of Incentive covers that I get as they were regular covers.

Recently I realize that I need more space for my comics and mangas. I definitely spend a lot of money in the last years. But it was good spend money. :thumbs2: