Holy 3rd parties.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by havanowoncheese, Jan 22, 2011.

1. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I know there have been a lot of threads dealing with the 3rd parties as we call them but i cant help but wonder about something. There are a lot of emerging third partie companies coming to the market and selling products. The issue of hasbro and takara and third parties has been done to death so thats not what i am wondering. Is the increase in 3rd parties going to continue and is it going to be good or bad to have more 3rd partie companies and products?

2. brimsoldier59

brimsoldier59 Well-Known Member

I think it will be great until a third party steps on hasbro's toes. Which is kinda hard.. because hasbro mass produces figures at a different product. In my personal opinion hasbro needs to step their online game up and produce limited collector only figs. That will satisfy the adult collectors.

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think more will emerge, thinking they can make a quick profit by making something fans have been hankering for. However, unless the product is of high quality and the company that makes it can actually turn a profit, then fans will slowly ignore them after negative feedback emerges and they'll fade away, or they'll just have to get better if they're serious about surviving.

As for whether it's good for the hobby or not, I say yes. Competition is a good thing, and if other unlicensed/third party companies emerge offering quality products that force others to raise their game or stay on top (FansProject), I think that's a good thing in terms of quality products available and diversity of products available.

4. havanowoncheese

I think the competition is great and i honestly hope that the competition is able to drive the cost of 3rd party unlicensed products down a bit with out sacrificing quality. I am looking very fondly at what we have seen of Causality so far.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Third parties fill a role Hasbro can't (and never really will). They give us things like Hearts of Steel toys, triple changers, articulated combiners, and just plain ol' improvements over current toys.

The problem I see with third party companies is that the more we have, the bigger a chance we might have of getting them into trouble. Since it hasn't happened yet, we can't be sure of what might happen, but all it would take is one company to mess things up.

6. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It'll take a lot for HasTak to shut down the 3rd parties. I think in terms of all the add-on figures, there's nothing HasTak can do, as there's no real infringement. If you think of it, those addons are like the Barbie clothing of our hobby. Any company can make Barbie clothing as long as they don't call it a Barbie product. I think where the line starts getting on the gray side is on the individual newly created figures.If FansProject didn't get shut down for Warbot or the Bruticus figures (as those figures stylistically were near exact representations of existing characters), they probably aren't going to. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the TFclub not-Devastator, as that will be a totally new set of figures (and thus avoiding the add-on moniker excuse) and will pretty much entirely use the likeness of Devastator.

As for the 3rd parties themselves, as with anything, as more projects are successful, more companies will come in attempting to do something, to the point where the market gets flooded by all of them, and many of these 3rd parties will lose lots of money because there will be too many things to buy, and not enough money to buy them with. This will be unfortunate, as a lot of good companies won't go on to make more products. The other danger as stated earlier, is that shady companies are going to swoop in, make a bad product in an attempt to make a quick buck. Some may disagree, but to me, CrazyDev is already proving this point. The fact that they're making a project that is damaging people's figures then feigning ignorance isn't right. When FansProject saw that there was an issue with their Bruticus kit and the different releases, they went back and fixed the problem before getting it out there. Companies like FansProject are going to be increasing harder to find in the glut of 3rd party stuff.

7. havanowoncheese

I see your points motorhead its a grim possible future for 3rd parties.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the competition is great, but i'm not wasting my time getting anything from a company other than fansproject or tfclub right away since they've already proven their quality control is top notch. i think i have two or three tfclub add ons and most of fansprojects stuff. headrobots is getting up there as well.

9. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I can see iGear getting in some trouble, but other than that, I don't think Hasbro cares all that much. Most fan companies are catering to an extremely niche market, and they don't do anything to hurt Hasbro's sales, and, to an extent, companies like Fansproject can boost sales of Hasbro products. I think it's also been pointed out that some people that work for Hasbro own 3rd party items.

10. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im just curious as to what will happen once the TFclub constructicons, perfect effect Reflector, Fansproject insecticons and HasTaks 2011 classics figs have all come out.... a deluxe trailbreaker/hoist, blitzwing, shockwave and the dinobots are all that will remain of G1 season 1-2 and movie cast....... well and individual combiner bots.

Now Im all for target/head/powermasters characters but probably not at 3rd party prices, i just cant picture whats left for these companies to do......

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    headrobots have their work cut out for them, and there is a bunch of figures left to do, a better reflector that isn't legends size (if that) would be nice. the rest of the multi changers (sandstorm, broadside is in the works with fp, blitzwing, sixshot, quickswitch, their remolds) masterforce, headmasters, and victory characters, the rest of the combiners, etc, etc etc. there really isn't an end too close imo

12. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Well I look at it this way. People paying $30 for KO's of Devastators forearms and $60 for Predakings wings LOL

What do you think?

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:

They are not KOs though.

A knock off is an exact replica of an existing figure.

The company you are referring to is making all new parts to work with an existing figure.

14. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

If it's not Hasbro or Takara, it's a KO.

15. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call Kabaya Candytoy TFs or Kaiyodo Revoltech TFs as KO, would you?

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    No:

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The more there are, the more chances one of them will royally screw up, bringing the wrath of Hasbro/Takara down on all 3rd party companies. We should ask Hasbro at Botcon, what it would take for the 3rd party nuke to go off.

18. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And if we want to minimize that risk, that's the last thing we should do.

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That....is not a good idea.

20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Guess the sarcasm detector was broken? I do find it quite hilarious how fans go "don't bring it up to Hasbro" as if Hasbro has no idea the 3rd party guys exist.

Fan: Will you be making your own City Commander?
    Hasbro: What the heck is a city commander.
    Fan: Its this really cool Transformer toy some small company makes.
    Hasbro: WHA..WHA..WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! A company is using out IP and releasing stuff???? Thanks for telling us kid, I'm off to warm up the B-52s!!!!
    Fan: Oopsie!!!!