Hollywood is Hollywood

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Honestly I really don't know why I go into the movie forum. But before everyone starts making their own "I'm so disappointed" and "Bayformer sux wahh" threads.

Please try to remember something, Hollywood movies they are the love stories, the action movies, the horror flicks... whatever. What I am saying is don't go into this type of movie thinking you will get some good plot with big action scenes and a love story.

You all know what Transformers are... big robots that make things go boom and are at war with each other. So Hollywood will make lots of action and explosions first and foremost before plot, love and whatever. It doesn't matter who directed it, that's just Hollywood.

You are old enough to read and write on a forum, you should be old enough to get that concept of how business works and how movies make money.

If you want Transformers with some type of plot watch some of the animated series. The episodes usually contained a plot, not always a great one but still it was there. Yeah there were transformations scenes to sell toys too, but yeah that's how it works.

Makes sense right? I am not trying to bash anyone, I thought maybe if some people could change the mind set they walk into this movie with. It would make for less disappointment?

2. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I think your paradigm is wrong. You are entitled to it, but I disagree. I think an action movie can have both action and a plot. No one is asking for a stellar plot, just that the plot for the TF movie is very bad. I think defending the movie's lack of a good plot by saying that action movies cannot have good plots is very weak. Just the existence of LOTR or the new Batman movies proves you can have both.

TF is similar to the Fast and Furious. Just a lot of special effects with nothing else.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Agreed, ILD. I went into the first one without expectations and that's what I'm doing this time.

I'm not expecting a full-blown, 3 hour war story masterpiece. I just want an enjoyable time.

Like you said, If I wanted an in-depth story with fan-service, I'd go watch Beast Wars or something. Something like that wouldn't fly in a mass release film. Look at "Watchmen". Great movie, fans love it but the general audiance won't get it.

You have to appeal to everyone, not just anyone.

4. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    LoTR and Batman are not on the same level of action as RoTF. The explosions and the military use. It's more than the level of action in the other movies you mentioned. LoTR and Batman both put me to sleep with their level of action. If anything I opened my eyes every time I heard Orlando Bloom's voice in LoTR, but that's all that kept me interested. The action in that movie was slow motion, nothing compared to the level in the TF movies.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Very well spoken ILD, and I agree. I think you're correct.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Well said, well said :) 

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with ILD on this one, and I wouldn't call LOTR an 'action' film (series) at all. Fellowship of the Ring cound easily be described as an inaction movie! :lol 

8. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

Well, the difference then is what you want out of a movie. ROTF may have the most mind-blowing constant assault of kick-@ss special effects ever. Fine. If you are ADD then that's probably exactly the right movie for you. And nothing else will equal it. But that's not enough to keep me interested. I love action sequences but I also want a reasonably sturdy story propping it up at the foundation. Otherwise, I just don't care. It just becomes a busy video game that makes my eyes bleed.

The bottom line is, people just have different ways of enjoying movies. What's slow and boring for one person is intriguing and nuanced to someone else. If Transformers deserves to fall into the all-action minimal-story category, then so be it. But I can certainly understand why some people find it not to their liking.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

On one level I agree. Hollywood is Hollywood. They have been doing big loud stupid summer action films for a long time and they have learned a bit of special effects, a lot of hype and you can make some quick cash in the summer time.

But I think you need the squeaky wheels out there if you ever hope to have a chance at getting any improvements out of Hollywood. If we just accepted anything in the summer time and never complained we'd end up with stuff like X-Men 3 instead of someone taking the public feedback to say perhaps we should try something better Ironman or Dark Knight for superhero movies.

Yes Transformers is out of the same Hollywood machine that gave us things like Independence Day, but perhaps with enough feedback maybe just maybe one day Hollywood might offer up a Transformers movie that had a little more meat to it than just pretty explosions.

10. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I guess that's true sometimes. But I am pretty sure profits will always win over crying fanboys. Not always fair, but that's life.

As for X-Men 3 & Spiderman 2 & 3, Marvel sequels just suck, no explaination for that one sorry. I can only hope that Ironman 2 does better than the previous Marvel sequels.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea it's pretty much the way life goes. Some times you get lucky and a film will hit on all the things that appeal to you and some times you are just out of luck because a film doesn't work for you.

But what are you going to do just stop watching movies because everyone of them isn't your thing. That would be like saying you are going to give up toy collecting because every once in a while you get a toy that didn't work as well as you had hoped for.

12. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I guess I like my action a little differently than you. I thought the scene where Legolas took out the elephand AND all the people on him was superb. It literally left me breathless.

The thing is I like my action to have context. An explosion for explosion's sake doesn't cut it for me. I also like my action to have slow action as well as fast action. One isn't necessarily better than the other. Each has its positives.

13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What? where did you get that from? :lol  I am going to see the TF movie because I want to see Giant robots blow things up. >_> yeah? Do you get it? Apparently not, that's alright. *pats your head and sends you on your way*

14. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Me too! Because it was Orlando Bloom!

15. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    WOHOHOAH now, Cowboy. Spider-Man 2 was way better then the first. I'm curious as to why you didn't like it since it's the first time I've heard of it.

16. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Anyone championing the school of thought of just goin' and enjoyin' what you can rather than just nitpickin' or goin' to complain for the sake of complaining deserves some kinda supermedal. ^^

17. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I liked it because it was a well thought out action sequence. It could have had Danny DeVito doing it and my jaw would still have dropped. It wasn't due to the person, but what they did and how they did it.

18. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really don't remember anymore sorry ^^;.

Well I know a majority of girls that would disagree with you there. Which brings me back to Hollywood again. It might have been the elf at that scene being the hero instead of one of the dwarfs. Because the hero = beautiful kind of thing.

19. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    ......fair enough. :D 

20. dorfsquest

dorfsquest Bing B-Bing Bing!

News Credits:
    It's a summer popcorn flick, with the single intention of entertaining audiences for two and a half hours. I know I'll be entertained, no doubt about that.