Holiday Giving: An ethical question on toy drives.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deliciouspeter, Nov 20, 2009.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    true but you use a risky angle as discussing from that point of view could cause some members to regard you as a shady character

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Fixed that for you.

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Well if anyone is ingnint enough to label someone based off of a text based medium,.. eff em. Consider me shady then.

4. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Im not labeling you as anything just pointing out a possible risk to your rep on this forum

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We have a food bin next to it. What if I swapped the can of tuna for a can of chicken? Two cans of beans? Is there a difference?

scum of the earth?
    absolute piece of shit?
    you deserve a friggen lynch mob?
    absolute abomination of a human being?

The level of these responses is interesting. But is it because it's stealing from a kid in need? Or the whole principal of stealing someone else's good deed? Both? Something else?

6. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    for me its both as your taking stuff from people who need them far more than your self and your ruining another persons heart felt gift

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    There is a whole new level of ass wipe that steals food from people. I don't even know what to say now.

8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because the OP's question was about swapping.

It seems that we can't have a discussion about a possible scenario without personal attacks so I feel the need to clarify myself.
    1) I have never taken any item out of a Toys for Tots bin.
    2) I have never considered or plan to consider taking any item out of a Toys for Tots bin.
    3) Last year I bought and donated several clearance Universe Silverbolts to Toys for Tots.
    4) This year I have been considering donating several Universe Ultras and Voyagers to Toys for Tots (TRU sale!!!)
    Just wanted to make sure that I'm being attacked for my opinion and not any actions I've done.

Secondly, the reason I put forth my example above is that it seems that some people are being inconsistent. If someone takes one toy out of the bin and puts in 3 equivalent toys then three kids total benefit, an improvement of two kids. If you're going to make the argument about the feelings of the person who put the toy in there that one thing, but it's not about the kids.

Lastly, the problem here is that the original question by the OP is a hypothetical that looks simple but is too complex. In reality, a downright POS would just take the toy. And person who could swap 1 toy for three could more easily just buy the toy he wants on ebay for cheaper. The scenario of a person swapping toy-for-toy isn't likely to happen.

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Thanks, but I'm not too concerned with my "rep" on a toy website. If my rep wasn't a good one to those who actually knew me, I'd be concerned about it.

You have a moderator a few posts up busting on me for having a different opinion than most in this thread. I'll stick to threads about what toys look cool, and which stores have what in stock, rather than the ethical ones.

D-Peter, I work for a non-profit too (organ donation). And I also just spent over $130 of my own $ for a kid I don't know, or won't ever meet, through the "Hearts & Smiles Foundation," while the minimum if you sign up is $15 per child. From 2006-08 I put in 2 hours each Thanksgiving at a soup kitchen dishing out Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless. There's my disclosure.

So call me crazy, but I couldn't care less about my "rep" on toy website. Maybe I'd have a better rep if I quoted/edited someone's comment with something "cute."

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Once you swap, you're a thief. Plain, simple. By swapping, you've served no one but yourself. Leave the tuna, leave the chicken, now more people who actually are in need of food can eat, even if it's just one person.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You Folks are not understanding that my "question" was an answer.

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

...a lot of statements go right over people's heads on this site.

13. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't think it's the folks who don't understand things.

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Leave the original toy in there and put those other three in, and guess what, 4 kids benefit. Once something is removed, someone is being deprived, regardless of what is put in.

15. chad2261

chad2261 Active Member

ethically wrong? in my opinion it is. would I do it? absolutely not. too many variables in play. some say it's leaning on the side of ok as long as you replace whatever you took with something else or even add a few more things to the bin. it's a good thought but what if the kid who was going to get that donation had been wanting the same toy you cherry picked?

in the end it's best to not over think the ethics and stick with the one real fact: whatever is in that bin is for someone else, not you. no matter how rare and desirable it is, even if you replace it with 10 other things, it isn't yours so don't take it.

16. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Thats awesome what you do and I applaud you for it i was only pointing out how risky that angle is to take in this discussion, and i suppose if you can't handle the heat of an ethical discussion its best to avoid them

17. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    ^^This.

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Keep the shots coming man. I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

19. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think he was saying that the person would add EXTRA stuff (more than he planned to add before decided to remove something from bin) ONLY because of the fact that he'd have removed something.

Well said, Chad. I don't disagree with what you said at all. In fact, I feel the same way. I was just saying that I wouldn't condemn a person as long as they did more on the positive side than the negative side. You never know, the kid could like what you replaced the original with?

What if I replace the veal with lobster?

20. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So...it's ethically wrong because it's stealing and you're an asshole? What if it was cash? I have a $50 bill, but I only CAN give $40. Can I take $10 in change?

Oh and is anyone else getting a kick out of the "similar threads" that show up at the bottom? Troopbuild!