Holiday Giving: An ethical question on toy drives.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deliciouspeter, Nov 20, 2009.

1. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, like many offices, ours is having a toy drive. Unwrapped, new toys. As I drop my WalMart Red Powerglide in there, it occurs to me that a tranformers fan might be looking for that particular toy. What would I do if I saw an Animated Prowl for example? Would it be ok to take it and replace it with something of comparable "value" or is that stealing no matter what?

Purely hypothetical, but what would you do if there was something you wanted in the toy drive bin?

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It's in a toy's to tots bin. That shit is off limits. Only scum of the earth takes something from that.

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Personally, I'd just keep walking, but I wouldn't think that much less of a person if they replaced it with something along the same lines of equal or greater value, and in the same condition (I think all that stuff has to be new/sealed).

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    anyone who would even entertain the thought of removing something from a donation bin is an absolute piece of shit. doesnt matter if they would be placing something of equal or above value in there in it's place. that is someone else's gift to a person who is very much not you. it's not for you. you don't fucking touch it.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    this! if you steal from one of those bins you deserve a friggen lynch mob after you with plenty of rope as thats the height of douchebaggery to steal from under privileged kids and swapping isn't acceptable either. and i don't care if i saw a MP skywarp in the bin id not touch it

6. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one rule! if it's in a bin or whatever and it stays in there until they are given to the needy kids! no taking toys out or switching a toy out because you see something you like for yourself!

7. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Seriously.

8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's ethically wrong and I personally wouldn't do it but it doesn't set off my morality alert because I don't think of it in terms of black and white. What if someone took the Red Powerglide and replaced it with 2 Hardheads and a Skyfall? I wouldn't spend too much time getting a lynch mob together for this.

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its not a shopping cart. leave it be......i think you would feel bad looking back on it if you do a swap out....its just the idea of it thats not cool.

10. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Like I said, I'd keep walking, BUT,... let's say some super hard to find TF that you're craving is in there. Would it be morally wrong to replace it AND add to it??

Ex: You can't find the $10 ICT, but see it in a Tot bin. Why would you be an "absolute piece of shit" if you replaced it with a Deluxe Dead End and a Deluxe Sideswipe?

Now if you were to take without giving/replacing/adding, etc,.. then yeah, you should lose your ability to walk.

I don't do Toys for Tots because there are plenty other "Give an underprivileged kid a nice holiday" groups that aren't as general. Some 4 yr old little girl who doesn't even know what a TF is could get that ICT.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Then go buy a powerglide, 2 hardheads and a skyfall. And put the 2 Hardheads and a skyfall in there. People put gifts that they want to put in there for little kids. Your obviously well off enough to buy the other transformers, so you are not an underpriviledged child.

Because you didn't put the ICT in there. Someone else did knowing that a toy that cool would make some kids year. Alot of times, these are the only toys these kids get in a year. Why can't they get the cool awesome toys for once. People are only thinking of themselves if they swap from the toys for tots bin.

12. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    I don't care if someone dropped a MISB G1 Fortmax in the Toys for Tots or for another groups you don't touch it period if it in the box its spoken for and not open for negotiation

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Well, I already have one. BUT. if I didnt? I'd wait. Either buy it online, do a trade, find it in a store.

like thenatureboywoo said above: Ignore the toy in there, and put the "replacement" toys in there too.

anyone who is okay with the act is just as bad as the people who would actually do it.

would you consider going through some other kids' christmas presents while at a friends house, looking for something that you want? if you see something you want in there, would you do a swap? no? why? how is it any different? it's not.

it doesnt matter what you're putting in that bin. anything you take out is one less kid that gets something.

14. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    But what Tot would really appreciate Fort?

"What do you mean it doesn't connect to a computer?" "Why doesn't it's hair grow?"

It's the equivilant of dropping a diamond ring into the box, it obviously doesn't belong there. I would pull it out and inform who ever was running the box that there was a terrible mistake.

15. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's weird how everyone says that they wouldn't remove it, but I'm sure if there was a super ridiculously rare toy in there, 99.9% of Transformers fans (or any other fans of any other hobby) would take it.

Despite the overwhelming opinion of the above posters, that toy would be gone in minutes.

I personally don't see a problem if you are replacing a toy with another toy or equal or greater value. Your not changing the outcome of the intended future use of any toy in that bin by replacing it. Personally I would ask the store manager (if my job did such a thing) first, but I don't see anyone saying no to you if you are putting more and/or larger toys in there for the original.

Please note I've never done this or even had the idea...simply thought it was an interesting topic. Personal attacks directed at me for having a different opinion will do no good.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    What a stupid, stupid, STUPID thing to say.

Seriously. god. DAMN.

fortress maximus is a toy. he's a giant fucking robot. kids like giant robots. aside from size, he's no different from any other transformer in a kid's eyes. the size just makes him more awesome to you, me, AND children.

Why do you think he was made in the first place? for children.

why do you think takara re-released him in car robots? for children.

again. what an absolutely stupid thing to say.

Yes. you are. because someone bought it, and put it in there for a person who is not you.

17. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    i agree it would be a terrible mistake but im sure some kids would appreciate it, not on the level of a collector of course, and i only stated it to make a point and my point is whats in the box stays in the box no matter how much you might want it or how much its worth, if its in there someone meant to put it in there if it was put in by mistake its the person who made the mistake's responsibility to fix said mistake so in my opinion if you did not make the mistake don't touch it

18. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Do these types of programs screen the toys? If Fortress Maximus can't be sold here in America due to his drop test results (or whatever other reasons), how could the program responsibly hand the toy to a child?

I know the toys are supposed to be brand new and in-box, but is there some type of screening to prevent these types of items from making it to the kids?

Wouldn't it suck if someone donated a boxed Fortress Maximus, just to have it removed and never make it to a kids hands because no collector saved it?

19. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:

Whoa whoa whoa settle down, I was joking. I actually love donating to toys for tots. I usually wait until some decent toys go on silly clearance and then I can donate a lot more for the little money I can spare. I was trying to nail down a few of those Ultimate Bumblebees at $24 at Target but some dirty scalper got them and was selling them on craigslist. This year it is mostly Speed Racer cars and a Bruticus and Superion set I held onto for the big TFT box.

My family didn't have much when I was growing up and my first Transformer came from a donation program. How I miss my G1 Jazz.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    kids would appreciate it at a higher level than a collector, because a kid would actually play with it.

My apologies, then. it's hard to tell with the kind of people who post here.