holiday depression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Nov 29, 2008.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Anybody get this? I do. I have lost alot of friends this year, I feel like just giving up.

Short story, I graduated college, just barely, and moved from Indiana to Arizona. I've been here for 5 years, found nothing, and I now realize that all of my friends and family still live there. But I hate Indiana. Too many bad memories. If I moved back, I think it would be even more depressing. I don't know what to do anymore.

2. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Binge drink.

OR

Make friends in Arizona.

3. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You need confidence and realize you can do so much more then loathe in self pity.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

What'd you move to Arizona for?

5. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

If you are truly a 'professional drunk' who lives in 'a bar,' it's no wonder you're so depressed. Get off the booze and get some antidepressants. Also try to make new friends - and a bar is a pretty shitty place for that.

Go outside, enjoy our wonderful wintertime weather, go hiking, bicyling, buy a dog, try some online dating. There are tons of things to do to get acclimated to a new environment.

Good luck!

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Not generally full out depression, but I get the "blah's" from time to time. I mostly find I just get tired of all the holiday hype and just need some alone time to clear the brain.

... or combine them and have a party! (kidding of course)

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

After I graduated, a friend of mine who also attended the same college was already living out here with his girlfriend. They invited me to live with them till I found my own place. Now they live almost an hour away, are married, and have two kids, so I don't feel welcome too much anymore.

I have all of this fancy video game stuff, and it just sits there, collecting dust. I have lots of movies I never watch. I don't go to the bars too much anymore. I just sip cheap Chardonnay till I get tired enough to sleep, and then wake up and do it again.

I've had too many women that have lied to me. I drink to forget, but I know damn well it never works.

8. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I get it most every year, makes me taciturn and difficult to deal with.

9. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I understand. I get it too. Some years are better, some are worse. I don't know what to tell you. I just deal with it and trudge on. When it gets bad, I just try to lose myself in something that will keep my mind occupied. Needless to say, I keep lots of projects around. The best advice I can give is to avoid the happy sauce. It just makes me worse. As for the antidepressants, they didn't agree with me. Good luck.

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, you have a college degree and you still can't do anything with yourself?

It is not that hard to be happy, find something you like and do it. Meet people who like what you like and find a job that you like. And then your life is great. It isn't that hard to do.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Hey have you seen the play Avenue Q? "It sucks to be me!"

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I get fucking shit bummed during the holidays every year, it sucks.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I almost always get it, but it usually isn't too bad. It even started when I was a child. Though it didn't help that for the longest time I always got really sick during the holidays, due to my bad immune system.

14. Dr Wheeljack

Dr Wheeljack 3DS

I get really depressed around the holidays as well.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The only time I might be "depsressed" is spring or summer (rain and flowers :puke: ). Never at christmas and never in winter.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Look, locations are secondary to happiness. Being somewhere can make you more happy if you're already doing well, but it can't make you happy in and of itself.

So don't blame Arizona or think that going back to Indiana or even moving somewhere new will change everything or even anything.

Instead, take ownership of your life. Identify what you don't like about it, and come up with a plan to change it, even if it's long-term, and execute.

And seriously, seriously, seriously think about quitting drinking. Me, I get drunk more'n I should, sure. But I'm pretty much always happy and loving life. Since you're not, I'd consider if you're the kinda guy who should be drinking the way you brag about doing.

:lol 

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Take some time to volunteer somewhere- maybe seeing people worse off than you could help...or you could at least make some friends.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Another thread about the holiday poor-me's? Wow, way to show the spirit, guys. And I thought I was a miserable guy.

When in doubt, binge drink. OR save the money and get some holiday hookers.

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I'd go solely for the hookers.

Someone always trots this out. Doing that would make me miserable, in the extreme. Giving up my free time for no financial reward. No way.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Would it be hard to move back to IN? Maybe your folks will let you stay until you get a job there and get yourself an apt. It's nice to hook back up with old friends, as long as they're not married either. It sucks feeling like a 3rd wheel anyway
    Getting back to your root location is always cool around Christmas, atleast you'll be with the fam.

Get on xbox live sometime, we'll get drunk and go find prowl delta's drunk ass and knife him