Holiday Challenge!!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by webz, Dec 7, 2007.

1. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    I have a challenge I'd like to extend to each and every person on this board.

The other night, I walked past a Toys for Tots barrel, and noticed that 99% of the toys in that barrel were of the $2 or less variety (you know, cheap plastic squirt guns, bag of marbles, etc). That got me really depressed.

I went to the toy section and bought 3 deluxe movie transformers and donated one to Toys for Tots and the other two went to a local battered women & children shelter.

My challenge is this: the next time you go to the store to look for that"uber must-have to finish my collection" toy, pick up a toy that isn't the usual donated item. Grab a Robot Heroes or Cyberslammer, or something else. I'm not suggesting you buy the entire stock of 20th Anniv Primes, but think about back when you were a kid, and you opened that present that turned out to be your first transformer, back in 1985. Give that feeling to a new generation.

Remember, these charities are always stretched thin, and with the recent homes forclosure disaster, there will be even more people that will need some help bringing smiles to faces.

Hopefully a mod will bestow a sticky to this, at least thru xmas.
    I bet we could do an awesome job.

Happy holidays!

2. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I am up for the challenge!! i've been thinking about doing this anyway, but it's time to get off my butt and do it! :) 

3. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm hoping to pick up a Primus and throw him in to one of the bins along with a bunch of movie toys.

Although I normally drop them off at the state police barracks, I usually try and give a bunch of ones of each size and class away each year.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    That's a great idea! Deluxe '08 Bees have been popping up more and more around here, and I'll try to get a couple in a Toys for Tots bin. ^_^

5. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I am planning on moving in the next year to a much smaller space, so every unopened toy in my collection is going to Toys for Tots this year.

Of course, I don't have any unopened TFs because that is madness:wink: , but there's quite a bit of action figures and stuff.

6. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I felt bad too 'cause every bin I see is just about empty, so I went and bought a lego set and now I'm looking around my place to find some unopened stuff to give.

7. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

What stores usually have these?

Personally hate going to retail stores during the holidays.

8. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

I think Toys R Us has these bins.

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Great idea! And already on it.

10. Ramulus

Ramulus Rhinox is my anti-drug TFW2005 Supporter

I accept! The company I work for sponsors two families in need every holiday. We have a tree in our lobby with the names of all the family member and what they want for Christmas. I picked out a 10 year old and a 14 year old kid from each family because they both wanted Transformers. I'm not good at buying clothes for kids so I skipped to the other stuff they wanted, and I had to laugh because each kid can ask for three things in the "Toy/Game" category, and both said transformers for each one. So I hit Target this week and got them each two movie deluxes's, and just to mix it up I gave one a sealed RID Prime and the other a sealed RID Scourge from my own MISB collection.

Will I miss those figures? Sure. Is it more important that these kids have them? Hell yes. I'd much rather have those toys open and played with than sitting in one of my closets gathering dust. If just one of those toys lasts them to adulthood and sparks an interest that lasts a lifetime like it has for me, then all will be served.

The thing that choked me up is that when our HR person asked one of the fathers what he wanted, his only response was "a job". :cry 

11. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe most State Police Barracks are Toys for Tots drop of places. Only good reason to go to the State Police Barracks that I can think of.

12. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    most KB Toys, Walmarts, Best Buys, Toys R Us, and Target stores all do collections.
    You can also usually drop off items at firestations, police stations, needy (homeless, battered women & children, etc) shelters, and some courthouses.

There are lots of places to donate.

I'm glad there is a huge positive response here!

13. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

i have 6 deluxe 09 concept camaros and 3 battle damaged in the evolution of a hero package so all together that makes 9 ....so i donated one of them

14. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    I made my donation to our local charity toy donation "Santas Annonymous"

I dropped in an 08 bumblebee, dropkick and a real gear meantime

15. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

[​IMG]

16. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.

News Credits:
    We have such a small percentage of battered/mistreated women and children here (but then again, our entire population is less than the number of people living in New York City), so we only have a small number of shelters, and none of those are for children. They usually end up with relatives, foster parents, or halfway houses when the authorities have picked them up. So basically, I don't have anywhere to donate toys. Instead, I make a lot more Christmas food than we'll need, and donate it to the largest homeless shelter in the area. This will be my third year in a row doing this. It's not a big effort, but it brings a lot of joy to the people who are worse off than myself. If everyone in the world performed a charity of their own choosing, one or two times every year, the world would be a much better place. Blessings to all you who are helping out!

17. StructuralDefect

StructuralDefect Active Member

Ebay:
    would love to be involved with this, does anyone know if Toys for Tots operates in the UK as well ? or if theres an alternative that works in a similar way ?

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm definitely going to donate this year. I need to wait until my payday next Friday though since my funds are really tight right now. They'll still be tight after payday but TFT is worth it. I wanted to buy a Supreme Cybertron Starscream in '05 to put in the bin, but of course the day I went to do it no where had any more :( 

19. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Already done. :) 

I spent about $100 on movie deluxes, including a 70's and 2 concept Bumblebees...

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Make sure you cover 'em up good, so the scalper-types don't see 'em in there. :) 

Seriously, though, I've already sent a FAB and a Cyber-slammer to the Toys for Tots bin at my local TRU, and plan to be doing it again sooner or later. (better than some previous years when I see the bin and keep going "Oh yeah, I need to get something in there the next time I come in.", and then it's taken out before I actually do.