2D Artwork: Holi and Clipper, together forever.

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by TedimusPrime, Jan 11, 2011.

1. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

So after I drew and posted Holi, a couple of people told me they wanted to see clipper... so I drew her.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. SpeedFreak01

SpeedFreak01 Well-Known Member

Great picture! Clipper looks like she's rearing to shoot some Decepticons, and Holi looks like he's thinking ".....Ok, then......"!

Also, I think that with a few mods, you could make Holi and Clipper from Drift....

3. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

DUDE! Your picture made me a fan of clipper. Awesome job! 3 thumbs up!

4. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    Interesting composition! Like the coloring too!!!

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Or more sensibly, Blurr, since he has the guns.
    Great redesign, Ted!

6. Bumblebee92

Bumblebee92 Wheeljack Fan

Really nice I could learn something from you

7. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Wow you got that out pretty quick, very impressive.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You've got some perspective and proportion issues going on with this. Also, regarding your composition, the white box's top edge is creating some unnecessary tension with the background. I'd simply suggest making the top of the canvas bigger to allow a little more of the background to show through to resolve this, as this is simply a framing issue.

But, this is really a nice piece. I absolutely love your robot designs (your work here reminds me of Blitz.'s work) and it's very dynamic. I greatly enjoy the interplay with the figures and the background imagery. Fantastic.

9. TedimusPrime

Gasp! An actual critique!? Get out.
    JK, thanks for the critique :D  , I have some ideas where my perspective and proportion problems are, but can you specify so I know where to pay attention to in the future? I need suggestions in order to improve my art.

10. SpeedFreak01

SpeedFreak01 Well-Known Member

Haha, we're all too nice. That and your art kicks ass.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, I think what problems are present go hand in hand. While I know that robots don't really have a set of certain proportions, the fact that Transformers are more often than not made to some sort of humanoid standard does impose the proportions of humans to an extent. Arcee's arms and hands, for example are very tiny. The left arm that is jutting out into space (thus necessitating the foreshortening) looks too small because of this.

My couple of suggestions would be to slightly exaggerate things more than what you have (making Arcee's arms and hands slightly larger). Also, studying foreshortening isn't easy or fun at times, but the work put into it is worth it.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'll second quaddys comments. proportions and perspective/depth can be improved. but very nice linework/detailing.

looks up foreshortening under drawing comic style.

13. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Holi looks really great, almost makes me want a Blurr just to do this.

Sadly, his other half looks like she's been drawn by Pat Lee, i.e. way outta proportion. :lol  While nowhere near as bad as Pat Lee, her arms are way too small, and her waist/lower torso is elongated way too much.

Otherwise, i like it, i almost want to design some Holi and Clipper toys now. :lol 

14. TedimusPrime

I'm trying to study perspective, but I honestly think proportions should be adjusted first.

So did I...

OUCH! PAT LEE! I'M HURT! XD

Looking over my piece of art again, I think the the biggest problem is in fact that her waist is too long. If was shorter, I think the proportions would be brought together a lot more. If anything that I benefit from Pat is that from first glance... it looks alright.

Honestly I had the hands so small for the feminine proportions. This is why I do not draw females.

15. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love the colors you've chosen for the fembots, the others have mentioned the proportion issues, which I know you'll correct, the only other thing I would add is the depth of their shadows, I would lighten it some..shadows are really not black, they are a composition of the colors around them .. in this case, the deep pinks and blues. Depending on your software, I would suggest using grays or purples to make the shadows.
    All in all, these are a couple of Transformer Angels--great job!! :D  :thumb 

16. TedimusPrime

I think next time I do line art, I'll post a sketch up first so people can go over proportion critiques since in most cases I feel they are easy to fix. Keep an eye out for me!

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dont fret so much on errors dude. you will discover with volume n time you will definitely see improvements as long as you keep and ear out for advice. you dont necesarily have to follow thru on all the suggestions, correcting a single piece of work just to please viewers. do it for yourself and always find joy in the work/keep it fun.

18. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    great designs and very high details. You can always over do proportions to give your characters more personalty and bounce(greater Dynamics) i do agree with supersquad about that one arm on holi it just needs to be bigger. If you have adobe photoshop you can make it bigger with just a few tweaks im sure you can find a tutorial on it id help ya but i havent plaid with adobe for years

19. Kenan

Kenan Member

so good, so nice ...