Hokuto no Ken - Savior Legend

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RabidYak, May 26, 2008.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Anyone watching the current Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North star) movie and OVA series?

I've been meaning to check it out since they started, but I only got round to seeing Legend of Raoh today and I couldent get enougth. Not quite as tacky and gory as the 80s adaption, but perhaps better for it.

All the usual fun is still there thougth, including a couple of awesome scenes of Raohs' armies plowing througth the opposition and a Ken vs Souther fight with so much melodrama that it could have had opera playing in the background without being ironic.

I know most of the anime crowd roll thier eyes at the epic manliness of this franchise, but I can't be the only closet fan of ludicrous post-apocalyptic martial arts here.

2. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    dude fist is my number 1 anime ive wanted the whle 80's series subbed for a long time now.

3. PMPrime

PMPrime Made of sterner stuff...

I don't know why most fans roll their eyes at the epic manliness of Hokuto no Ken and not at the excessive girlyness of all the others.
    Raoh Gaiden is pretty good and is pretty faithful. Yuria Gaiden is kinda boring, Raoh 2 is good as well and the Toki one is a nice one even if they changed a few things.
    I'm just waiting for the Kenshiro one later in the year. Apparently it's going to be all new material.

4. RabidYak

I'm currently in the process of aquiring Raoh 2 and Yuria, with Toki waiting for authoring. I see that theres also going to be a Raoh prequel TV series starting around the time that the Kenshiro movie comes out, hopefully it'll do well enougth to warrent even more new HNK.

I need to give a mention to the awesome new version of the 80s theme as well, even if they didn't use much of it in the movie I just saw.

Fansubs are almost there, you just need a hefty amount of time and bandwidth to hoover them all up.

5. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I wish Viz would aquire the rights from the now defunct Raijin Comics. The original was printed in Shonen Jump, so they have no excuse not to sell it here.

6. RabidYak

Quick bit of necromancy to post my ramblings on the rest.

Didn't go much on Yuria, it came across as disjointed and partially redundant. More of the Shin arc with the childhood and Nanto General stuff worked in before and after probably would have made for a more interesting watch.

Raoh 2 was good, but could of done with a bit more catch-up at the begining for folks not already up on the material. I was expecting more pay off for the Reina business from the first film as well, but it came across as pretty weak and a bit of a waste of screentime in the first movie that could of been used to expand on the Souther story.

Toki was made of win, manly tears of respect for the character are acceptable.

Itching for Kenshiro now. Woulden't mind OVAs for Jagi, Rei and Juda stuff as well since its either skimmed or skipped over in these.

7. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    well i finally got the 4 box sets and am about halfway thru and i have to say my opinion has not changed at all. still my all time number 1 along with beserk but this so tops beserk now.