Hobby Link Japan - Anyone dealt with Merchandise Issues with them before?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RavX, May 6, 2009.

1. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey guys,

For those of you who frequent HLJ - has anyone had to deal with damaged merchandise with them before? I received my first order ever from them about 2 weeks ago. In it I had a pretty messed up Henkei Sunstreaker ... I promptly emailed them and received a prompt response to please send in pictures of the damage - which I did the next day.

Since that point it has been like pulling teeth to try and get updates on where I stand with the issue. I finally got a short response back early last week that my pictures had been forwarded to their "parts department" but have not been able to get a status since despite emailing yet again.

I was just curious if they were always this slow in dealing with resolving damaged merchandise or if I seem to be trapped in some sort of customer service black hole. Anyone have similar experiences with them? Other than this I've been extremely happy with my transaction .. I just wish I didn't have to wait 2+ weeks now to try and get 1 figure replaced.

Thanks!

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just keep the contact frequent and polite- the only problem with emailing HLJ is that they are (to my knowledge) only in the office for a sparse number of hours per week.

I've had figure issues with them, but I ended up resolving them myself and passing the solution on to them in case it came up for anyone else. :lol 

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:

I recently ordered a Medicom Motoko Kusanagi from them, which is like a $150+ figure. After about a week, I noticed the neck was tearing and I had barely moved it. I contacted HLJ about it, and they told me to ship the figure back to them in Japan registered airmail, which they reimbursed me for, and sent me a 2nd figure EMS. All in all, they probably lost about $75 on the exchange, but they were AWESOME and it didn't cost me a penny.

In some cases (perhaps such as yours) they will try to replace the damaged part since it's cheaper and easier than sending the figure back to them and mailing you a whole new one.

They are sometimes slow, but that's mainly because the owner himself, Scott Card, handles most of that stuff personally. Just be patient, I doubt they will disappoint you. I love HLJ.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I find them expensive and their customer service sucks if you need to contact them directly to change and order or something.

Edit: Also slow shipping is also an issue with them, took them like 4 days to ship my VF-11b and my VF-25 still has not shipped from them yet, very disappointing.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. jimmynguyen41

jimmynguyen41 aka Special Agent JiMMeRz

News Credits:
    I made a $600 purchase and they shipped all the stuff in great condition and the guy emailed me back and fourth was very nice.

SAL shipping from there to WA was only 9 days vs. EMS which was 8 days...wierd.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    He's asking about how they are with damaged figures.

7. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Heh curious. I've been buying things from HLJ for more than 12 years and never had a problem. I started buying TFs from them only within the past couple of years and I had my first problem two weeks ago with..

....Henkei Sunstreaker!

My problem was that the head was never attached during assembly, so it's just the peg and nothing else. I emailed them about it the same day package arrived, same thing happened as you in that they responded promptly and asked for pictures. I sent them in, and now haven't heard back from them.

I contacted them about the issue on April 30, so it has been more than a week.

However I can tell you from 12 years' experience, they are not a dis-reputable company and in fact are very good.

I don't know if it's coincidence or not that both of our issues pertain to the same exact product. I actually do know an employee there through another message board and since there's reasonable grounds to suspect some issues with Sunstreaker, I'm going to contact him and see what he says.

They aren't slow shippers. You also might want to keep in mind that this is Golden Week in Japan right now.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I've ordered three things from them: Two Busou Shinkis (MMS Type Tiger Tigris and MMS Type Calf Vitulus) and an Armored Core Weapons Upgrade set no. 008. I frankly have had nothing but excelent dealings with HLJ, and I intend to use them again for their extra after-market upgrade part stock (including articulated gundam hands).

9. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

:banghead: 

10. Magnus406

Magnus406 Decepticreep

Purchased my MP-08 Grimlock from them. That was the first purchase I have made with HLJ. It was a pre-order and shipped out a week before the ETA, so with EMS shipping to Australia I got the item within 3 business days. Packaging was great and the box is C10. I would certainly purchase from them again, although I haven't seen what they are like to deal with if a problem does arise.

11. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

One of my figmas had a hand break after I got it, but they said they couldn't do a replacement. Their response was really fast even though they couldn't do much about it. I would've pressed on further but one hand isn't a big deal to me.

12. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the responses guys! It eases my worries a bit hearing that they tend to stand behind their products. I'll try to keep up the frequent communication and hope it resolves itself soon.

Thanks for the info Mobb -- let me know if you find out anything from your other contact! :thumbs2: