Hoarders & Hoarding: Buried Alive

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TrueNomadSkies, Feb 19, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    My dad thinks these shows are fake, and maybe some of it is (although it seems sadly real to me)... but in either case this shit is crazy, especially when it comes to the people who flat out leave garbage & dead rats everywhere. Like, I can understand simple clutter because having both a practical & presentable living space is hella hard to manage, but the stuff shown on this show goes above & beyond reason, and I just don't get how anyone can live like this.

... so yeah, has anyone seen these? Thoughts?

2. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

The previews for the newer episode coming out shows a lady living in like absolute garbage. I think there's actually dead animals in her home and she doesn't care. The ones I've seen, generally the people never change and refuse to let anyone actually throw much away. They may make the home clear for a while, but I wouldn't be suprised if it just goes back to normal once the cameras leave. I'm not going to lie though, I watch it sometimes because its F'in crazy to see people living like that sometimes.

3. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's like the show on A&E called Hoarders (which is better in my opinion)
    I can't understand the people who have lost plumbling so they go in adult diapers and just throw them anywhere, how embarrasing when they come to clean your house and your shit (literally) is all over the place

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hahah, me too. It's a perfect example of trainwreck tv, and it's cool because every time I get shat on for having a messy desk, I can always be like stfu watch those hoarding shows & then tell me I'm bad.

Also to MTME, that's even better because in their case, you've got two cases of plumbing fail.

5. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

One lady hadn't seen the inside of her fridge in like years. Thats some crazy shi%. I remember they like started to open it and then it sealed itself shut right away. Reminds me of that Cowboy Beebop episode with that lobster that he forgot was in a secret fridge and it tried to kill them all.

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Dr Zoidberg?

7. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    This is far from fake. One of my aunts lives like this :redface2: 

8. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I haven't seen the show, but I have seen hoarding in real life once.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive seen the show, I beleive they are definitely real as I have dealt with similar issues regarding my family and have gotten the same emotional responses as you see on TV

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    While "reality TV" is generally pretty far from real life, Hoarding is very much real.

My grandfather is a hoarder and got worse after my grandmother passed away. There are very limited pathways to squeeze through his two story house with a full sized basement. The last time I had stayed with them my bedroom had a path from the door to the bed and I could only get into the bed on one side. From floor to ceiling was boxes filled with all sorts of odds and ends (I peered in 2 boxes, one had 86 pocket knives, the other had 20 small notepads, all blank.). Before my grandmother passed away, their furnace went out. So they "hired" me to help clear enough area for the workers to get to the furnace from the basement door/old coal shoot entrance. I moved stuff out for 8 hours three days in a row and still wasn't done in time for when the crew arrived. Reel to reel tape players, tricycles and bicycles, records, lamps, books, lunchboxes, all sorts of junk.

One of his major psychological problems is that he can't pass up a deal. It doesn't matter if he can't possibly use it, if it's a "good deal" he'll take it. He also considers himself an archivist, which is why the family room is filled with VHS Tapes and Cassettte tapes of TV and Radio shows.

After my grandmother passed, he invited us out to "claim what we wanted" because of various reasons (Though later he'd claim we practically forced our way in and looted the house; demanding it all back). I went through his stacks of DVDs. 80% had never been opened, the shrinkwrap with pricetag still there and he even had a few multiples, not just the same movie but different edition, the exact same DVD, which he had no idea he had done because he just goes through and purchases cheap DVDs. Most of them I couldn't believe he owned and when I questioned him, he couldn't answer as to why he thought they were worth purchasing, especially if he had never seen them after buying it years ago other then it must've been really cheap at the time.

He has a garage that could hold 3 cars, he sold my grandmothers car and parks in the driveway because the gararge is absolutely full. Clocks, remote control airplanes and helicopters, entire racks of clothing, furniture, etc

So yes, there are people who left to their own devices would become buried alive.

On the plus side, it does spur me on every now and then to purge my home to keep it clean.

11. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love the A&E one with Matt Paxton. There's poop on this!

12. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You too?

13. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Not fake at all. These are real people living in real situations. My sister's husband's father is somewhat of a hoarder. His basement is stuffed full of things, but it doesn't spill out anywhere into the rest of the house, which is immaculate. It stems from the fact he lived through some pretty tough conditions after WW2 and thus, he never hated to waste anything. Sometimes each show (whether its A&E, which I prefer, or TLC) can "dramaticize" what's happening with clever editing and they obviously have to set the show up in a way to be able to get all the important parts on camera. But I love this show; I love seeing my mom's expression afterwards, especially episodes that have an extraordinary amount of poop, like tonight's episode. How sometime can keep crapping on a pile is beyond me. I always tease my mom about her own hoarding as she has a lot of craft supplies, but is insanely organized (I am as well, genetics). We both have random spurts of cleaning, organizing and purging, especially after watching the show.

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hhaa, my cousin does that to my uncle once in a while too, as he's got a large garage that's literally filled with boxes of random shit instead of his truck. Granted, I'd probably keep most of the stuff he's keeping if roles were reversed, but it's still a funny comparison to make. Actually, my grandma's apparently like this too, and according to my dad, has an affinity for buying two of everything & not opening either.

... hmm, I wonder if she did that with the Transformers she bought for me many years ago ?? :)