Hmm.. Velociraptor had feathers!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by trekster0721, Sep 21, 2007.

1. trekster0721

trekster0721 Member

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    You mean what Grimlock looks like in Beast Wars The Ascending?

Yeah folks, there's a reason why he looks "furry".

Still, I love how people are constantly saying that the Velociraptors were over exaggerated in Jurrasic Park, even though the Utah Raptor was discovered in between films 1 and 2 and its the perfect size to fill the role of the raptors we see in the movies.
    DN

3. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

I also found it funny that they were only 3 ft tall instead of the 5-6ft tall that Jurassic Park shoveled down our throats.

4. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    ...The idea of these creatures being covered in rainbow feathers is really quite disappointing.

Maybe I should've picked a different SN.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Oh yeah... every junior paleontologist cringed inside a bit when Jurassic Park first came out. For all intents and purposes, JP swapped Velociraptors for Deinonychus (larger cousins) but kept the name "Velociraptor" just because it sounded cooler. :) 

I suppose the feathers make sense... but they sure do look funny.

zmog

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Again, from the wikipedia article on the Utahraptor

Here's the actual article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_raptor
    DN

7. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Incorrect. When Jurassic Park was published (it was a book boys and girls), Deinonychus was considered a sub-species of Velociraptor. While this term of classification was rejected, Crichton's novel and its film adaptation, as well as the sequels, still do this for the sake of fictional continuity.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You're both forgetting the fact that in the books and in the movies the dinosaurs were cloned using the dino DNA combined with DNA from today's animals and amphibians (frog DNA is mentioned in both the book and the first movie).

In effect, they weren't perfect clones--they weren't 100% representative of the original species. Using combined DNA with other of today's cloning methods and genetic materials available would've resulted in something that created varying characteristics from the original dinos.

It's fiction anyway. You have to suspend disbelief or it's not entertaining.

Hopefully, with this recent discovery Speilberg won't pull a "George Lucas" and try to "correct" his movies. But I believe they based the V-raptors' movement on birds' anyway, because Rick Baker's original stop-motion test dinos were based on lizards and Speilberg wanted them to be more bird-like. Also, believable bird feathers can be very difficult to pull off in CGI anyway.

9. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    This was published sometime last year... At least it had already made it to Discovery Channel.

10. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    True. However, now they also go around using the idea that InGen did indeed clone normal Velociraptors...but altered their DNA. They could not find any Deinonychus DNA in the amber they accumulated, so they did the next best thing...alter the Velociraptor's genetic makeup to make them grow larger and have shorter snouts to resemble the Deinonychus, and have larger brain masses (like the Troodon) to develop thinking skills, all to make the animals more exciting to park goers.

This is also why the Dilophosaurus ("Spitter") has the frilled neck, forked tongue, spits poisonous venom, and is WAY smaller than a real Dilophosaurus (smaller so the Park Rangers could handle the dangerous creature).

The Pterranodons were also genetically altered to have small teeth (when they should have no teeth at all).

The Spinosaurus was altered with crocodilian DNA to make it have aquatic capabilities.

^All these inaccuracies to the real-world dinosaurs were "fixed" with the reason that InGen did some genetic modifications to the dinosaurs (so that they would be more appealing to park attendees), and that is why they are different.

If you guys want to read more about it, then I suggest you pick up a copy of Random House's "Jurassic Park Institute: Dinosaur Field Guide" which tells you about all this stuff. The book came out right before (2 months) Jurassic Park 3 opened in theaters.

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    There was some tv show or other a year or two ago that portrayed velociraptors and their ilk as looking like the ugliest fucking turkeys in existence.

[​IMG]

I really prefer the naked badass Deinonychus image I grew up with (which was implanted long before JP), but if it's closer to accurate this way, it's better.

12. netkid

News Credits:
  13. littlebotbrat

littlebotbrat Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I don't call dinobot having feathers. Of course, the show was before they knew they were birds and warm blooded. this could explain why dinobot never went out in the morning but in afternoon. He was portrayed as being cold blooded which probably explained why he got killed off more often.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    True. Most common explanation for JP dinosaurs seems to be the line spoken by Alan in JP3, something to the effect of (when reffering to the Dinosaurs) "Genetically engineered Theme park monsters, nothing more, nothing less"

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I really don't give a shit about scientific facts, dinosaurs look ridiculous with feathers.

16. netkid

News Credits:
    Bingo!

I actually always wondered why they were different. I had to read that book to find out!
    *reads JP book*
    "Now it's so damn obvious! Why didn't I think of that in the first place!?!"

It's a good excuse though, because it gives the filmmakers the ability to make the dinosaurs as fierce and crazy as they want. Imagine a chicken-sized Velociraptor running after you. Not very scary is it? Hell, you could just step on them. I'm glad they screwed up first and then came up with the whole "genetic modification" excuse. It just gives them more freedom with the dinosaurs, and adds to the mystery of what else InGen was pulling behind Hammond's back.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hence the surprise when Grant discovers the Spino on Site-B. "It wasn't on Ingen's list, who knows what else they were doing"

Baryonx apparently was though, wish that would have made it into one of the JP films. (But not as an over-powered-mutant like Spino was, 'lets replace T-rex', that was about as good as reinventing Godzilla turned out to be)

QFT! Dino's just arent as scary looking when they go all fluffy and cuddly.

18. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    It's just what you're used to. Modern birds don't look ridiculous with feathers, even the flightless ones.

19. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

:lol  No idea where to begin...

I've personally just gone with the "Utahraptor with wrong name" line of thinking as far as JP is concerned, but then I'd never heard about how the movie continuity had imperfect replications of dinosaurs or this Dinosaur Field Guide itself. Thanks for bringing it up!

I do have to admit, while most of their toys looked hideous, it does go some way to making the Chaos Effect dinosaurs a possibility in the JP universe. Which would be really neat.

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ultimasaurus and Compstegnathus FTW!
    Tanaconda ftl!