Hmm the stark contrast.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by giga-galvatron, Jul 31, 2008.

1. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

After commenting on Universe Prowl, I have realize the stark contrast between classics 1.0 and 2.0. The most glaring is the need for them to be based on realistic cars, planes, tanks and whatever have you. I think that has place from sort of clamp on the imagination of the design team. Mind you, Prowl, Sunstreaker and Octane are cool toys (Prowl being my favorite of wave 1) but they dont seem as solid as their classic 1.o fore-fathers. Also they seem more slavish to their G1 counterparts. While Optimus Prime looks like G1 prime, his transformation scheme is a expanded and clever mirror image of his 80s counterpart transformation sequence. Another point is the inclusion of the Movie 07 originated gimmick, automorph. Prowl has it with his neck flipping up, hence the need for that ugly black turtle neck looking thing. Im not knocking, or hating the classics 2.0. I cant wait for Galvatron and Sliverbolt infact all of em. I love em but Ive just notice a complete difference in the lines.

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Not the only one to notice. It's been discussed and debated since we first got our hands on wave 1. I wouldn't say it a need to have them represent real vehicles, but they just wanted to do it. While they do seem like a combination between Alternators and the movie line, I think they fit with Classics fine.

And yes, I LUV them too. :drool: 

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At previous panel(s), Hasbro reps said that Universe was the "alternative" to the more cartoony/stylized Animated line, and a way to continue the (relative) realism of the movie line.

I'll agree that the Classics 2 style feels a bit like Alternators-meets-Movie, compared to Classics 1 which was sort of a geewun-ized set of Cybertron toys.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I totally agree on all the points. I think the heart of the line is still there with updates for the G1 characters but the toys feel completely different. All that said I think they display fairly well together and the new Universe toys are still some of my favorite TFs ever.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    they still mesh, which is good. I like the new realistic style. The Movie designs were some of my favourite designs for TFs ever. I never really liked the standard box-bot design, so these new, highly-detailed uber-technical designs of the movie in Classics is great for me. Nice contrast to the stylized-ness of Animated.